U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 10:54 PM

5,158 posts, read 2,373,025 times

Advertisements

I've had a Snapper Hydro 381450HBVE for 17+ years. My lawn isn't plush green or cared for in such detail. But it's large enough that a rider takes at a minimum 1.5 hours to mow, and more when using as a fall lawn sweeper. It broke down again, and will probably cost $200 or so to fix. I figured after 17 years it was time for an upgrade.

I weighed out my options. A push mower was out of the question, as I'm just not spending the hours it would take, and much more with fall cleanup. I thought about a lawn service (I'm 57), but the math (I'm a CPA) didn't add up. It would take just a few years for a lawn tractor to payback the cost of a lawn service. Then the choice came to buying from a box store (lowe's, Home Depot, etc) or a power equipment company/tractor dealer. The models at the non box stores is better IMO. Longer shelf life out the door, and less repairs (of course you can always get a lemon).

After much deliberation, I opted for a John Deere X370 with a bagger. "D" series are at the box stores, "X" series at specialty stores. I didn't get it for the power steering or hydraulic lift. Black Friday they were $600 off, and that's a large Deere sale. Still expensive at $4,000, and we'll see if it was worth it over a box store Deere or Cub Cadet or Toro or MTD, etc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 04:06 AM
Status: "Everybody knows the good guys lost" (set 6 days ago)

18,786 posts, read 18,204,294 times
good choice. I bought an X320 for about the same price 10 years ago (did include the grass collection system) and could not be happier with the purchase. Has not needed any maintenance other than normal stuff with the exception of the grass blower assy a couple years ago. I have about 600 hours on mine and it takes me about five hours to mow my lawn.

I hung on to my X188 when I bought the newest one so I could have something to pull the lawn cart around and it still does my snow blowing every year. That one is about 25 years old now.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:34 AM

236 posts, read 86,165 times
Sweet! I considered the all-wheel steer for about the same price as my Toro Zturn. May eventually trade in and get the Deere. The zturn is great in just about every way but one: it is a bit tough on the turf. I’ve had it now for three years and am careful to take it easy on the turf as I have a plush, well-maintained lawn. But no matter how careful it will leave pivot divots and wear down the grass where the root system is weak (such as in areas that are predominately in the shade). My neighbor has a Deere and I have to say his lawn always looks awesome. It sucks up the leaves like a vacuum and has a super cut. Enjoy!

Old 12-01-2017, 10:15 AM

Out with the old...in with the new

Old 12-01-2017, 10:41 AM

21,257 posts, read 15,667,967 times
purty! how long are you going to have to wait to use it, or do you live somewhere with no seasons?

Old 12-01-2017, 10:48 AM
Status: "Everybody knows the good guys lost" (set 6 days ago)

18,786 posts, read 18,204,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
purty! how long are you going to have to wait to use it, or do you live somewhere with no seasons?
there's some leaves I see that need sucking up.

and...

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/161...SABEgJJS_D_BwE

Old 12-01-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
there's some leaves I see that need sucking up.

and...

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/161...SABEgJJS_D_BwE
I will be blowing all of the leaves around the house onto the lawn, and it's first use will be the final yard cleanup. Being near Boston, mowing/yard season for the tractor runs Apr-Nov.

Flames on a Deere - why not!!

Old 12-01-2017, 11:20 AM

7,010 posts, read 480,778 times
Haha...enjoy. I'd be excited too...

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I will be blowing all of the leaves around the house onto the lawn, and it's first use will be the final yard cleanup. Being near Boston, mowing/yard season for the tractor runs Apr-Nov.

Flames on a Deere - why not!!

Old 12-01-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Sweet! I considered the all-wheel steer for about the same price as my Toro Zturn. May eventually trade in and get the Deere. The zturn is great in just about every way but one: it is a bit tough on the turf. Iíve had it now for three years and am careful to take it easy on the turf as I have a plush, well-maintained lawn. But no matter how careful it will leave pivot divots and wear down the grass where the root system is weak (such as in areas that are predominately in the shade). My neighbor has a Deere and I have to say his lawn always looks awesome. It sucks up the leaves like a vacuum and has a super cut. Enjoy!
I was looking at the X354 which is the all wheel steer version of the X350. I do have some tight areas and several trees to maneuver around. But with the $600 off Black Friday sale, it put the X370 at $400 less than the X354 so I went for it. I tried it just for a minute or two this morning after delivery. The power steering is nuts as I can use my finger to turn it.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:25 PM

236 posts, read 86,165 times
Something to look forward to in the spring, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden