U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 11:00 AM

64,991 posts, read 47,303,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
How many will that yield you and how long do they stay good for once harvested?

I was just remembering how early I planted stuff in 2010!
Yeah, 2010 and 2012 were crazy yrs for gardening. I wasn't logging stuff in 2010 but probably have pics somewhere.

Figure 4 Potatoes each half. Hopefully. So about 50 Potatoes. Not sure what the weight they'll be though. Might be small, might be huge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 12:07 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,138,723 times
Great work on getting the potatoes and onions in, Cam. It feels good to be back in the dirt again, doesn't it? Even if it's cool, there's something so nourishing about spring sunshine. It really gets everything flowing.

Thanks for reminder on the onions, by the way - I need to get my onions starts outdoors to harden off. Will do so today - it's a gorgeous and sunny 65F after 4" of snow and 39F yesterday. No hint of snow left and the grass sure is greening up quickly!

Old 04-29-2018, 07:04 AM

Sorry for the delay, been so busy.

So we finally had some spring temps and we got a hot pattern coming this week after today and tomorrow staying in the 50s. Soil temp finally staying in the mid 50s now though. Looking at the long range models it looks like no more freezes here and frosts might even be hard to happen. Over 6 inches of rain this month! Coldest April since 1975! 2nd snowiest on record. May needs to be opposite as it's the most crucial month for the garden IMO

I figure it was time...

The harden off process begins. 1 hour in the shade and without strong winds. Will increase to 2 hours next few days then slowly introduce it to the sun little at a time. Love that Pine tree near the deck, perfect for this situation.

Lots of flowers on the hot peppers. This could be an amazing season.

Hi there, he's probably wondering when the tomatoes will be ready

Garlic looking great

Kale, Lettuce, Spinach coming up

Old 04-29-2018, 07:07 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,770,456 times
Oooooo....everything looks soooo coooool!

Cambium, what happens if the compost-heap potatoes start growing?

Old 04-29-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Oooooo....everything looks soooo coooool!

Cambium, what happens if the compost-heap potatoes start growing?
They don't have a chance to form new potatoes because I turn it every 4 weeks after Spring. But if I left it alone I'm sure I would have some. I seen them grow pretty fast in there.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:23 AM

So... 2 days ago outside temps didn't pass 40s as if it was November and it was windy so they didn't go outside.. Started to stretch a bit.

Today... 1st 80s of the year as if it was July....

Plants are loving it but I have to be careful, still sensitive to natural light but they are out there for 4 hrs today and back inside. Plus can dry out fast!

Old 05-02-2018, 12:51 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,770,456 times
Ooooo....shiiinyyyyy!

Old 05-03-2018, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Ooooo....shiiinyyyyy!

Thanks, I noticed that too. I don't remember them being this shining in previous yrs this early. Guess I can look back at the threads. They are doing well, no sun burn....yet.. Today I start introducing them to the direct sunlight. And I have to do it in the morning because we're expected to reach Upper 80s again today

BTW... FINALLY. My backyard Soil temp is over 60. Only been over 50 for 9 days. lol

Old 05-04-2018, 08:32 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,138,723 times
Cam, you are well ahead of me this season, but I am determined to catch up! Your pepper plants are absolutely stunning. It's amazing how quickly your soil has warmed given the inconsistent temperatures. I guess once it decides to get serious it really gets going, doesn't it?

When is your target plant-out date? How many days do you normally take to harden off? I know each season is a bit different, but do you have a general routine you strive to stick to? I find my plants only need about 5-6 days if the weather cooperates. It has taken longer if we have several days of bad weather and I need to keep the plants indoors, but if all goes well, I find 6 days to be completely sufficient.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Cam, you are well ahead of me this season, but I am determined to catch up! Your pepper plants are absolutely stunning. .

Thanks! And don't worry, we cool off faster than you so your season will last much longer than mine. I think if memory serves me correct.

Quote:
It's amazing how quickly your soil has warmed given the inconsistent temperatures. I guess once it decides to get serious it really gets going, doesn't it?.

I have a feeling because I got so much rocks and pebbles in my soil everywhere it's able to heat up fast as well as get cold fast. This morning it spiked to 67 the soil! Thanks to 88 sunny day yesterday and the rains we got. Plus the night stayed in the 60s! Everything is being microwaved out there. Rapid blossoms. Potatoes are loving it. (Pic coming this weekend)

Quote:
When is your target plant-out date?

Mothers Day every yr. So mid May. This yr May 13th is my target. Given how I don't see any freezes coming or a cold pattern I may do it sooner this yr. Plus with the soil as warm as it is now, I can.

Quote:
How many days do you normally take to harden off? I know each season is a bit different, but do you have a general routine you strive to stick to? I find my plants only need about 5-6 days if the weather cooperates. It has taken longer if we have several days of bad weather and I need to keep the plants indoors, but if all goes well, I find 6 days to be completely sufficient.t.

I find 8 days is fine. 11 to be safe actually. I've sun burnt leaves in the past. Now I am more patient and slowly introduce them. 4 days to gradually get used to the natural light and breezes. 4 days to gradually get used to direct sun. Weather is so changeable here it's tough sometimes.

Gave them 2 hours of sun this morning before it cloudied up so they are good for today. But I'm not bringing them inside because its cloudy and having warm nights. Tomorrow will be 3 hours of sun (if there's actual sun!)

Closer look at the Peppers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden