U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2018, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
61,682 posts, read 43,824,856 times
Reputation: 9829

Advertisements

February 25, 2018.

And it begins.

Just starting the hot peppers for now. Since many seeds are from 2013 I threw a couple in each cell to make sure 1 germinates.

I don't have a fancy greenhouse, office, or area to do this so the floor works just fine.




Took about 1.5hrs to finish. Now we keep them warm and wait. Wonder how many will germinate.




Here is the Hot Pepper list..

Texas Black (3)
Golden Nugget (6)
Poblano (3)
Big Thai Hybrid (6)
Pico Di Mandavia (6)
Banana Pepper (6)
Silvri Barb (3)
Chinese 5 Color (5)
Serrano Purple (long) (4)
Serrano Purple (regular) (4)
Pretty Purple (4)
Papacello Forte (4)
Naga Jolokia (4)
Dorset Nora (4)
Dr Martin Carrot Red (4)
Unknown name Whoops (6)


72 Total
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2018, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Denver/Boulder Zone 5b
1,293 posts, read 3,019,064 times
Reputation: 1174
Whoa, Cam! That's a lot of peppers - holy smokes! Your tray is very organized - I like it a lot. I see your weather out there's been a lot like ours. Inconsistent bouts of warmth and cold. We have had less than 20" of snow all season so far, but the outlook for March is calling for below normal temps and average to above average moisture, so we'll see. Long range predictions are for a hot and very dry summer with drought development likely..

I know you're well-versed in growing peppers, but don't give up on stragglers even if they're several years old. I started quite a few peppers back on 02/04/18 and some are still germinating. I had about 80% success rate in the first 10 days, but with my patience it is nearing 100%. Most of my seeds are from 2014. Are you actually going to transplant 72 or is that just your total number of starts?

Any plans for sweet peppers? How many varieties?

I'll get a thread going when I have a minute to breathe. Work is just non-stop and I don't have nearly the free time I used to have. I have tons of fun things going into the garden this season, though, and look forward to sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2018, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
61,682 posts, read 43,824,856 times
Reputation: 9829
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Whoa, Cam! That's a lot of peppers - holy smokes! Your tray is very organized - I like it a lot. I see your weather out there's been a lot like ours. Inconsistent bouts of warmth and cold. We have had less than 20" of snow all season so far, but the outlook for March is calling for below normal temps and average to above average moisture, so we'll see. Long range predictions are for a hot and very dry summer with drought development likely..

I know you're well-versed in growing peppers, but don't give up on stragglers even if they're several years old. I started quite a few peppers back on 02/04/18 and some are still germinating. I had about 80% success rate in the first 10 days, but with my patience it is nearing 100%. Most of my seeds are from 2014. Are you actually going to transplant 72 or is that just your total number of starts?

Any plans for sweet peppers? How many varieties?

I'll get a thread going when I have a minute to breathe. Work is just non-stop and I don't have nearly the free time I used to have. I have tons of fun things going into the garden this season, though, and look forward to sharing!

Thanks! And thanks for the Sweet Pepper reminder. I didn't have any seeds. Will pick them up today and start them.

Can't wait to follow your thread again. Yeah, we started out cold and snowy then because warm and wet. Lots of rain here this winter.

I plan on keeping 72 Hot Pepper plants although I only have room for 35 of them. lol I'll be giving some away. but I doubt all 72 will germinate. We'll see.


Looks like my Garlic is ready for spring. I haven't even done anything outside yet. Still way too early.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2018, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Denver/Boulder Zone 5b
1,293 posts, read 3,019,064 times
Reputation: 1174
I will be curious to see your sweet pepper roster. Going with bells or more of the elongated grilling varieties? Mix and match?

The garlic looks awesome! I absolutely love growing garlic and wonder why more people don't do it. It's hands-down the easiest thing to grow and can be put in the ground anywhere there's 2" of room. I actually did not plant it this season because I grew about 150 bulbs last season and still have close to 50 in the basement (still in PERFECT condition). I grow them in my front yard raised flower bed and decided I want flowers this year instead of tons of garlic. Since garlic harvest isn't typically until the second week in July, I'm usually too busy to think about planting flowers at that point and the flower bed just sits empty the rest of the summer.. time to change it up in 2018.

I'll get a thread going this weekend with some current pics of the garden and my tentative plans - I should have some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2018, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
61,682 posts, read 43,824,856 times
Reputation: 9829
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
I will be curious to see your sweet pepper roster. Going with bells or more of the elongated grilling varieties? Mix and match?

The garlic looks awesome! I absolutely love growing garlic and wonder why more people don't do it. It's hands-down the easiest thing to grow and can be put in the ground anywhere there's 2" of room. I actually did not plant it this season because I grew about 150 bulbs last season and still have close to 50 in the basement (still in PERFECT condition). I grow them in my front yard raised flower bed and decided I want flowers this year instead of tons of garlic. Since garlic harvest isn't typically until the second week in July, I'm usually too busy to think about planting flowers at that point and the flower bed just sits empty the rest of the summer.. time to change it up in 2018.

I'll get a thread going this weekend with some current pics of the garden and my tentative plans - I should have some time.
Seeded the Sweets today and Eggplant. Put them in bigger cell pots. (left). Keeping 12 Sweet Bells and 12 Eggplants to put in ground in May.


I put a wireless thermometer on the hot peppers. 82 in there. bit too warm for my liking. I'm testing out the back warmer I have under them.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2018, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Denver/Boulder Zone 5b
1,293 posts, read 3,019,064 times
Reputation: 1174
Lookin' good, Cam. I love your organization. Those bells look SO good. If you're interested in some fun varieties that get HUGE, let me know - I have a few I wouldn't mind sharing! I'll start my eggplant in mid-late March - the leaves can get intrusively large indoors if I start them too early.

You know what I do to lower the heat and humidity just a little is prop the clear plastic dome up with popsicle sticks. Just wedge one in the 4 corners between the plastic cell and the tray. Keeps the plastic up above mine about an inch or so. VERY happy with the result. If you want to see a photo of what I'm talking about, let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2018, 05:42 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
61,682 posts, read 43,824,856 times
Reputation: 9829
The heat mat (really a back warmer) really does help! In 8 days the hot peppers are emerging


Also, I like to use the Jiffy seed starting soil now, I had better results than the MG seed starting soil.




Hello There.



Meanwhile this is coming tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2018, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
9,277 posts, read 1,371,224 times
Reputation: 14163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
February 25, 2018.

And it begins.

Just starting the hot peppers for now. Since many seeds are from 2013 I threw a couple in each cell to make sure 1 germinates.

I don't have a fancy greenhouse, office, or area to do this so the floor works just fine.




Took about 1.5hrs to finish. Now we keep them warm and wait. Wonder how many will germinate.




Here is the Hot Pepper list..

Texas Black (3)
Golden Nugget (6)
Poblano (3)
Big Thai Hybrid (6)
Pico Di Mandavia (6)
Banana Pepper (6)
Silvri Barb (3)
Chinese 5 Color (5)
Serrano Purple (long) (4)
Serrano Purple (regular) (4)
Pretty Purple (4)
Papacello Forte (4)
Naga Jolokia (4)
Dorset Nora (4)
Dr Martin Carrot Red (4)
Unknown name Whoops (6)


72 Total


Wow!! That's impressive!

What will you do with them all, do you freeze or can or just give away a lot...?

Your hard work is making me itch for planting seeds and transplants!

Last edited by greatblueheron; 03-06-2018 at 10:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2018, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Denver/Boulder Zone 5b
1,293 posts, read 3,019,064 times
Reputation: 1174
Your starts look awesome, Cam! Can't wait to see how they grow and produce this season. Some of my peppers were looking super sickly when they first came up - first time that's ever happened. I think it's because I may have kept them slightly too moist. I didn't have anything dampen off, fortunately, but several were close! All look really good now - patience pays off!!

Looking forward to seeing your next update!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2018, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
61,682 posts, read 43,824,856 times
Reputation: 9829
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Wow!! That's impressive!

What will you do with them all, do you freeze or can or just give away a lot...?

Your hard work is making me itch for planting seeds and transplants!
Thanks! If I didnt read this forum Im not sure I would of done a garden this year. You all motivated me for sure. You havent started yet? Or just saying now you want to because you werent?

I canned peppers and didnt like the taste months later. I froze them and rarely find myself using it. What ai want to learn is making pepper flakes to sprinkle on pizza and food. I will do that and give some away. Maybe can them too since they do look pretty in the jar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Your starts look awesome, Cam! Can't wait to see how they grow and produce this season. Some of my peppers were looking super sickly when they first came up - first time that's ever happened. I think it's because I may have kept them slightly too moist. I didn't have anything dampen off, fortunately, but several were close! All look really good now - patience pays off!!

Looking forward to seeing your next update!!
Sometimes its tough to know why they look sick. Your experience identified the possibility of being too wet. I would of suggested too hot, too dry, too windy, soil itself, or too close to the light or even just the seeds itself.. Glad they are better...

Some didnt come up so I am second guessing thinning to 1 per cell now. I might have to let them grow out and separate later.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top