U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,566 posts, read 2,838,399 times
Reputation: 694

Advertisements

We bought our home recently, and have trouble identifying what this tree in our backyard is. At first we thought it was an Oak, but it's December now and it still hasn't lost leaves. Is this an evergreen tree?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM
 
Location: LI,NY zone 7a
1,583 posts, read 668,027 times
Reputation: 1980
Got a photo? Kinda would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,566 posts, read 2,838,399 times
Reputation: 694
Not sure why pictures did not upload earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
Help Identify Tree-20171203_081857-.jpg   Help Identify Tree-optimized-20171203_081925.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM
Status: "My doggies wear diapers!" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Prescott AZ
5,199 posts, read 7,484,213 times
Reputation: 9414
Looks like an Oak. Some of the Oak trees around here have not de-leafed yet either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM
 
Location: SWCT, close to coast
58,027 posts, read 40,536,849 times
Reputation: 9107
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
We bought our home recently, and have trouble identifying what this tree in our backyard is. At first we thought it was an Oak, but it's December now and it still hasn't lost leaves. Is this an evergreen tree?
Yeah, looks like some kind of oak but not the typical ones we see (Red, White, Pin). Maybe Post or Burr Oak? Any acorns from it? Would love to see a pic of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,566 posts, read 2,838,399 times
Reputation: 694
No acorns since July which is when we moved in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM
 
Location: alabama.
2,238 posts, read 1,343,195 times
Reputation: 4514
i have two oaks that hold their brown leaves all winter but i cant remember the variety ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Big Island of Hawaii
1,668 posts, read 519,529 times
Reputation: 4095
live oaks stay leafed all year.

Are you having a mild winter? maybe the leaves will drop later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Old Hippie Heaven
13,642 posts, read 5,444,395 times
Reputation: 7197
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
live oaks stay leafed all year.

Are you having a mild winter? maybe the leaves will drop later.
That's my reaction. And it does look like an oak to me too.

The live oaks I know definitely have leathery leaves, which doesn't look to be the case here. But there are dozens of oak species used in landscaping, and I sure don't know all of them. You might look around your area to see if other people have your trees.

OP, there are several factors that interact to trigger fall leaf drop - day length, precipitation, soil and air temperature. And of course individual trees have genetic differences that cause them to vary in response to these triggers. I think you're probably having a mild winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM
 
1,301 posts, read 631,824 times
Reputation: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
That's my reaction. And it does look like an oak to me too.

The live oaks I know definitely have leathery leaves, which doesn't look to be the case here. But there are dozens of oak species used in landscaping, and I sure don't know all of them. You might look around your area to see if other people have your trees.

OP, there are several factors that interact to trigger fall leaf drop - day length, precipitation, soil and air temperature. And of course individual trees have genetic differences that cause them to vary in response to these triggers. I think you're probably having a mild winter.

yes, your right it's an oak and yes, IMHO you're spot on as to some of genetic and site/climate influences that make keep a nominally deciduous tree from dropping it's leaves at the "normal" time.


IMHO, the foliage does not closely resemble the evergreen "southern live oak" (quercus virginiana) which almost always has "smooth" leaves (more or less, LOL)---what may be pictured is the "laurel oak" (q. laurifolia) which can hold it's leaves into late winter/early spring or even q. nigra ("water oak") a closely related species with leaves that can be in all kinds of shapes some of which may be roughly similar to the ones in the picture) and can also hold it's green leaves quite late.


oaks because of their propensity to hybridize and the fact that even "pure" species can have various shaped leaves on the same tree can be difficult to pin down as to what somebody may really have.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; Yesterday at 04:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top