Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 04:16 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

Right now they are very reduced from Breck's and American Meadows. I have plenty of containers so I also save a bit of money there too. And so what it it's too late to get them by Christmas? They are so beautiful and bring such joy to me and my family. I have a very sunny window where they are thriving. In the spring I will plant them in the garden and order some new ones for forcing when they are on sale next year.

I was too late to order the waxed bulbs. No soil needed. How neat is that? Apparently many others thought so too cause they are all sold out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 07:17 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,855,774 times
I love them too....thanks for the reminder, might want to buy a few

Have you tried more than one to a pot?

And do these bloom when planted outside? You lose them to freezing in winter?

Old 12-20-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I love them too....thanks for the reminder, might want to buy a few

Have you tried more than one to a pot?

And do these bloom when planted outside? You lose them to freezing in winter?
Yes I have one large pot with 3 huge bulbs and 2 other pots with 2 bulbs each. You won't find these big bulbs in Home Depot or Lowes.

I like to double or even triple plant things in one hole. I planted some red spider lilies along with red amaryllis so when the foliage for one is dying the blooms for the other are coming up. Here in NC it is possible to not lose them outside but I can't remember if the ones in the ground are a special variety. I'm hoping these huge ones will last just as well.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:24 PM

30,521 posts, read 16,217,604 times
I've got one, from my mother. It blooms about every other year, usually in spring.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I've got one, from my mother. It blooms about every other year, usually in spring.
Yes I believe most bulbs are spring flowering. The biggest enemies of garden planted bulbs are rot from too much water and critters. The ones we first grow indoors are forced. This simply means they have been chilled artificially to resemble a natural winter. A forced bulb cannot be forced again but most do well in the garden. Simple leave it in the pot but do not water. As with all bulbs, DO NOT CUT BACK THE FOLIAGE UNTIL IT IS COMPLETELY DRY AND WITHERED. Store in the garage or cool place (fridge is usually too cold) until spring. Then plant it in the garden and it will get back on schedule and reproduce. I have so many red amaryllis I have to give some away every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden