U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 07:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
27,361 posts, read 48,225,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Thanks! Is there a way to tell if they are still thriving during dormancy? Will I have to wait until spring?
I wouldn't consider them to ever be "thriving" in dormancy, they are just resting, and staying alive. You should see some signs of buds swelling in early spring, and that will tell you that they made it. Other than that, it's just a matter of waiting. As long as the roots are not frozen hard and you have watered lightly all winter they should be fine. The biggest problems with overwintering in the garage are:

1. If spring is still too cold to put them out they might sprout and become leggy due to lack of light
2. If they have started to leaf out before going outside, you will have to harden them off

https://www.thespruce.com/how-do-you...-plants-847810
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 11:33 AM

36,356 posts, read 40,217,403 times
I have successfully overwintered mums in the garage completely dry. No water at all. In fact not too long ago I took some out of the pots, kept the roots intact in plastic bags and hung them upside down by string in the rafters of the garage and they were just fine.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:07 PM

3,429 posts, read 4,255,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I have successfully overwintered mums in the garage completely dry. No water at all. In fact not too long ago I took some out of the pots, kept the roots intact in plastic bags and hung them upside down by string in the rafters of the garage and they were just fine.
Wow so maybe watering every other week is overkill. Once spring comes where do you keep them until blooming?

Old 12-23-2017, 02:37 PM

2,073 posts, read 859,810 times
Quote:
Wow so maybe watering every other week is overkill. Once spring comes where do you keep them until blooming?
The roots will only take up so much moisture during their dormancy, so overkill (water wise) is not an issue. When spring comes,(after the last frost) dig the appropriate hole, and plant them. What I do, is look at the pot, if the earth is starting to pull away from the pot, then it is time to water. Not much,but enough to keep it semi moist til planting time.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:20 PM

I touched the soil today. I think it's frozen. It's very hard. What should I do?

Old 12-31-2017, 08:37 AM

36,356 posts, read 40,217,403 times
Quote:
I plant them either in containers or in the ground and keep pruning them regularly to keep them rounded until July 15 when I stop so blooms can form.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:38 PM

39 posts, read 12,513 times
Here in Massachusetts hydrangeas stay in the ground over the winter. They flourish in the spring and summer, never had any die out, and we have had stretches of several weeks with highs below freezing, often not getting out of the teens. Never had any die out on me yet. Once the frost hits the leaves go drown and fall off. Usually prune them back in late fall or early spring as buds start and they usually do well.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:43 AM

So I think my roses and Hydrangeas are still alive in the garage. The stems are green in most areas. There are some brown stems.

Question, my roses have new greenish white growth shoots coming out of them of the stems. I'm not sure if it is new stems or thrones but they are small and almost white. Any ideas?

Old 02-22-2018, 01:21 PM

5,310 posts, read 5,360,666 times
Quote:

I'm not sure if it is new stems or thrones but they are small and almost white.

Thrones??? I'm guessing you mean thorns?

They are probably nodes, they are locations where future growth will happen.

I may have missed it in some of your other posts, but am curious, does your garage have windows in it for light to get in, or do you leave an interior light on inside, or is it completely closed and dark inside the garage?

Old 02-22-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Thrones??? I'm guessing you mean thorns?

They are probably nodes, they are locations where future growth will happen.

I may have missed it in some of your other posts, but am curious, does your garage have windows in it for light to get in, or do you leave an interior light on inside, or is it completely closed and dark inside the garage?

Haha, I meant thorns! It's closed and dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden