U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 11:06 AM

2,608 posts, read 3,932,726 times

Advertisements

I have first year roses, hydrangeas, and mums that I have in pots. When I put them in the garage for overwintering in the middle of November, all the leaves were green and healthy. In the past few weeks, the leaves are starting to turn yellow (on the roses and mums) and dropped. I'm nervous because this is my first time overwintering in the garage and I purchased the hydrangeas and roses this spring. It is 11F outside. How often should I water them? How do I keep them alive until spring in the garage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 11:42 AM

7,685 posts, read 687,846 times
If your garage is not heated, IMO, bring them somewhere inside. If you still want to try..use space heaters ...water sparingly...you don't want to encourage growth during winter.

Some yellowed leaves are common this time of year.

FYI I do overwinter in garage but it is heated.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:50 AM

My garage is not heated. But how low should the temperature go for them to reach dormancy?

Old 12-15-2017, 08:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
26,277 posts, read 45,605,839 times
For hydrangeas and roses the leaves are supposed to die and fall off during winter dormancy. Ours stay out all year in the ground and manage fine but we rarely get below about 10-12F. Many varieties can endure colder than that in the ground if protected by mulch around the bottom 12" or so. Temperatures of about 40 or below should be low enough to go dormant. Since they don't take up water when dormant, just keep slightly moist, watering maybe once a week. The hydrangea is damaged by a really early frost, killing the next season's flower buds, or by an early hard frost after the leaves have started to pop out.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:08 PM

28,367 posts, read 44,726,448 times
I over-winter plants in my living room.

Plants need light, even in winter they need to get some light.

I have fig trees, lemon trees, tea bushes and Ginkgo trees that all come indoors for winter.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
For hydrangeas and roses the leaves are supposed to die and fall off during winter dormancy. Ours stay out all year in the ground and manage fine but we rarely get below about 10-12F. Many varieties can endure colder than that in the ground if protected by mulch around the bottom 12" or so. Temperatures of about 40 or below should be low enough to go dormant. Since they don't take up water when dormant, just keep slightly moist, watering maybe once a week. The hydrangea is damaged by a really early frost, killing the next season's flower buds, or by an early hard frost after the leaves have started to pop out.

They are white Meidiland groundcover roses. I have 2 window boxes and one huge pot. They are so beautiful. They bloom like crazy in spring, summer, and fall. They are easy maintenance as well. I don't want to lose them.

The hydrangeas are Regula-White Bouquet hydrangeas. I have them in 2 self-wicker tall planters.
The hydrangeas are holding onto the buds but the leaves are brown and falling.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:17 AM

646 posts, read 1,307,465 times
This is my first year overwintering in the garage, too (Alaska). I put out a small space heater there and as long as the temps there stays not too much below freezing, I figured, they should be OK. (so far we've had the lowest of -5'F outside).
I do have a lamp on, though, and probably because of that my two rose bushes started growing back the leaves Currants and gooseberries are still dormant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I over-winter plants in my living room. Plants need light, even in winter they need to get some light.
I have fig trees, lemon trees, tea bushes and Ginkgo trees that all come indoors for winter.
Most of those mentioned are not deciduous, I believe, so they definitely need light!

Old 12-16-2017, 07:07 AM

36,187 posts, read 38,587,290 times
Here in NC it can be 26 in the morning and 62 by afternoon. I keep lots of plants in the garage but it has big windows on one side and large glass panels in the doors. When it is sunny and not really cold we just open the garage to give them maximum light and warmth for as long as we can. I've been able to overwinter many plants, including annuals like pansies, petunias, etc. and lots of begonias.

Why bring A Ginkgo indoors? They are hardy in all kinds of weather.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:59 PM

3,845 posts, read 2,120,240 times
Our winter (December is our coldest month) is fairly mild during the day (45-55 degrees) but desert nights drop into the low to mid 20s. My Key Lime lives as a refugee in the garage in winter but doesn't like it. I open the garage door on warm and sunny days. By spring the tree is struggling but bounces back once it goes outside. I don't worry about mums or most other plants. My experience is that they don't survive indoors. My bigger problem is watering indoor refugees -- too much or too little.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:46 AM

10,139 posts, read 21,232,804 times
You want them to be dormant. I overwinter in an unheated but attached garage. Water one or two times. Lack of sunlight will kill all leaves which is what should happen.

I put a dozen banana trees in and they are brown sticks when they come out in Spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden