U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 11:22 AM

18,543 posts, read 1,674,637 times

Advertisements

I am not sure of the correct forum for this, but I want a pretty houseplant in the bedroom. I bought a wonderful orchid, with blooms & buds, & put it in the bedroom, but the buds fell off. I am presuming this is from the cold, as I do not heat the bedroom. So I moved the orchid to the living room.

The windows would be south & east. We get into the 40s & sometimes 30s at night. Any ideas? And very hot (triple digits) in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 11:59 AM

32,572 posts, read 40,880,123 times
I don’t think your issue will be the cold. Most plants like cool temperatures. A bigger problem would be extreme heat.
Maybe a Norfolk Island pine, or Christmas cactus?

Orchids can be very touchy, and all plants tend to lose leaves when they are moved to a new location. So don’t think you’re necessarily doing anything wrong.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:07 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,643,999 times
Orchids are not common houseplants. Any foliage houseplant available from your nearest big box store should work.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:05 PM

5,722 posts, read 3,040,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I am not sure of the correct forum for this, but I want a pretty houseplant in the bedroom. I bought a wonderful orchid, with blooms & buds, & put it in the bedroom, but the buds fell off. I am presuming this is from the cold, as I do not heat the bedroom.
It's from the sudden change in growing conditions. The orchid may be able to adapt to the temperatures of that room in time (depending on how clod the room gets). But the current crop of buds couldn't handle the change.

Quote:
The windows would be south & east. We get into the 40s & sometimes 30s at night. Any ideas? And very hot (triple digits) in the summer.
Are those outdoor temps, or the actual temps in the room in question?

Old 12-26-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It's from the sudden change in growing conditions. The orchid may be able to adapt to the temperatures of that room in time (depending on how clod the room gets). But the current crop of buds couldn't handle the change.

Are those outdoor temps, or the actual temps in the room in question?
That is the outdoor temps, our home is warmer. The heat vents in the adjacent bathroom, throw heat into the bedroom.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:54 PM

5,722 posts, read 3,040,093 times
Do you know what type of orchid you brought home, OP? If you'd like to try orchids in that room, Cattleyas like temps that can dip down into the 50s, and would be pretty comfy in that room. Or consider Clivias, if you want an iron-tough flowering plant that can stand a bit of neglect, or Amaryllis.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:30 PM

15,247 posts, read 6,455,877 times
OP, how large a plant do you want?

Variegated ficus benjamina would work. https://gardengoodsdirect.com/product/variegated-ficus/ It would like to be a 30' tall tree, but it will content itself with whatever space you have to offer.

So would a jade plant. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crassula_ovata

My grocery store Phalaenopsis orchid thrives in my house, but I bought it in the early summer, when my house temps weren't much different from outdoors or the grocery store where I got it. It is now setting buds again for the third time since I bought it.

Christmas cactus would work great.

A lot of angel wing begonias would work great. I have one similar to this one - Begonia 'Angel Wing'

I also have this one - https://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/70552-product.html - it's really handsome, flowering or not!

Begonias are very hybridized, some have more tropical "blood" than others. You might have to try a couple to get the right one. But I guarantee you there is one that will work!

Old 12-26-2017, 05:41 PM

Thank you all. I used to have orchids all the time in our old home. They bloom for so long, I love them, so I was so surprised to see the buds fall off. Anyhow it seems to be doing Ok on the coffee table. I bought a large variegated leafy plant today, it has both red & yellow veins, I forget the name, I will post that later, but it is very pretty.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:18 PM

9,716 posts, read 6,850,565 times
Not exactly a houseplant but I had an avocado pit that sprouted to a small tree. It spent last winter in the very cold basement and did very well!

Old 12-26-2017, 08:03 PM

1,804 posts, read 680,521 times
Aspidistra- or the Cast Iron plant as it's commonly known.

It's available in its natural dark green color and in variegated varieties.

The only things that really bother it are full sun and over-watering.

Aspidistra care: https://plantcaretoday.com/cast-iron...stra-care.html

Another plant that is tolerant of cooler conditions is the aloe vera as long as it gets bright light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden