U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 02:53 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,444,237 times

Advertisements

We're in Geauga county. Not in the city of Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
If OP's family is in Cleveland Ohio then they're okay to harvest rainwater.

State by state rainwater harvesting regulations: State Rainwater Harvesting Laws and Legislation

From what I've seen it's mostly drier areas (out West) where it's more regulated.

We often get enough rain, but sometimes we will get a very dry month or so where we need to water.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:37 PM

3,123 posts, read 1,217,954 times
most of the Big Island uses rainwater catchment as their household water.
https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/rm-12.pdf is the bible for catchment here, should have some useful tips even for Ohio.

I know rainwater saving used to be illegal in California, but I understand the laws have changed. Have no idea about Ohio.

Our household tank holds 10,000 gallons. It overflows into a 2500 gallon tank we use for greenhouse and garden water. We have tilapia in that tank to pre-fertilize the water and eat mosquito larva. (that tank overflows into a pond with goldfish, which overflows into a low area...)

our property is sloped, and the greenhouse is somewhat lower than the tank, so we use a siphon hose--a regular garden hose down to the greenhouse, attached to those spongy commercial soaker hoses. The water pressure is low (and we have lots of water, 170" a year), so we leave the soaker hoses on all the time. Of course, hoses might freeze in Ohio.

filters:
1) house tank: a 1-gallon paint filter is strapped to the pipe that brings water in from the gutters. That catches leaves and solids that get in the gutters. I change it out once a month, wash the old and reuse later.
We have additional sediment filters, and a UV system as well.
2) garden tank: I zip-tied a bundle of nylon net to the intake end of the siphon hose. That keeps muck from clogging the hoses.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:26 AM

34 posts, read 14,555 times
Tank height has everything to do with pressure. 2.31'= 1lb of pressure. and it doesn't matter if the tanks footprint is 1' diameter or 50' diameter. Your going to need a pump to move water around.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:42 AM

So those cheap Harbor Freight pumps can work? My husband shops there all the time.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:48 AM

13,362 posts, read 7,121,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueRulz View Post
From what I've seen it's mostly drier areas (out West) where it's more regulated.

We often get enough rain, but sometimes we will get a very dry month or so where we need to water.
So dryer months in Ohio would likely be July and August...why would you need to worry about frozen water in the winter? Easier to empty out any unused at the end of the season and then use springtime rains to replenish?

Old 01-02-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So dryer months in Ohio would likely be July and August...why would you need to worry about frozen water in the winter? Easier to empty out any unused at the end of the season and then use springtime rains to replenish?
We've had a couple dry springs recently, where it wouldn't have filled up much.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:16 PM

16,849 posts, read 51,301,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueRulz View Post
So those cheap Harbor Freight pumps can work? My husband shops there all the time.
LOL! They better. I use HF pumps to pump water from my creek. The shallow well pumps work fine for irrigation. You do want to add a check valve to the incoming line from your tank. Expect the little pressure tank to rust out after about three years. You can either replace that with a better one or just by a new pump and tank set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or