U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 07:28 AM

1,176 posts, read 465,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
My family's farm journal from the 19th century showed no maple sap runs for sugaring until March if they were lucky. Ever. Now the same area where the farm was sap is being collected in January or February almost every year. Just one example for you. 1933 holds the record low temperature for New England. -50 air temperature in Bloomfield, VT that year.
In the late 1800s, we were still coming out of the Little Ice Age, plus the eruption of Krakatoa in 1883 gave us red sunsets & noticeably colder weather around the whole world for several years.

Here in WI, we just set the record for the coldest 2 week period since 1896. That doesn't mean the climate is changing, only that weather varies irregularly over time, but centers over a "basin of strange attraction" as those who study the mathematics of chaos would call it: we never get too far away from the average and always return to it.

In regards tampering with the data, here's one example of an exposure written by the guy who runs the UAH satellite program https://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/06/...ing-past-data/

Everyone should do their homework before blindly accepting the "scientific" opinions they read in The New York Times or National Enquirer.

Back to the original topic: as I said in my first post-- why should the zones based on divisions of 5-10 degrees be changed when the average temps have only changed by 0.13* per decade?--In 100 years, that's only 1.3 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 11:58 AM

2,463 posts, read 1,299,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Back to the original topic: as I said in my first post-- why should the zones based on divisions of 5-10 degrees be changed when the average temps have only changed by 0.13* per decade?--In 100 years, that's only 1.3 degrees.
They shouldn't, and they won't be anytime soon. Except perhaps in Alaska, where the warming is happening more rapidly.

A few stations here saw the average temperature in December of 2017 12 degrees higher than normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or