U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 05:16 AM

36,437 posts, read 41,684,911 times

Advertisements

How I would love to have curbside compost in my community. Just think about how productive whole communities could be with this kind of program, to say nothing about the impact on the environment.

https://www.facebook.com/RobGreenfie...oqn8w6g-yO4vu4
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 06:06 AM

7,251 posts, read 9,619,129 times
Glad to see you back. My family member is a widow and young. She is alone in her home and noticed that garbage sat for too long and started to smell. She cut the top off a liter soda bottle and lines it with the daily newspaper bag. She puts all "wet" things in that bag, the things you are composting and tosses it every night to avoid the odor of collecting garbage. Pretty much composting in a much smaller way but hers does go into the garbage, as she is not allowed a compost spot in her community.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:35 AM

3,462 posts, read 1,648,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Glad to see you back. My family member is a widow and young. She is alone in her home and noticed that garbage sat for too long and started to smell. She cut the top off a liter soda bottle and lines it with the daily newspaper bag. She puts all "wet" things in that bag, the things you are composting and tosses it every night to avoid the odor of collecting garbage. Pretty much composting in a much smaller way but hers does go into the garbage, as she is not allowed a compost spot in her community.
I'm honestly not trying to be a smart butt here, but since all her efforts go into the garbage anyway, why doesn't she just take the garbage bag out sooner so it doesn't smell?

Old 01-09-2018, 07:21 AM

36,437 posts, read 41,684,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Glad to see you back.
Thank you very much. It's been a long haul but I'm walking with my walker a bit now and slowly but surely I'll be good as new...well as new as 71 can be after two broken legs!

Old 01-09-2018, 07:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,444 posts, read 50,699,085 times
We have that, but don't use it after a failed attempt. They only pick it up once a week, and you cannot put it into plastic bags, only specially made compostable bags. They start to leak from the moisture in a day or two, with a nasty liquid in the container. If you take them out daily you have to spend a lot on the bags and the bin outside gets nasty. We went back to using the garbage disposal.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:07 AM

16,266 posts, read 7,125,741 times
You don't need a compost pile to compost.

There are several ways for even landless apartment dwellers to have a worm bin. Or do bokashi composting, which was developed specifically to deal with this problem.

I have had curbside recycling available to me for several decades now, it is just about universal in this region. Never used it for food waste. First, it's a (literal) waste, second, I don't like to store it while waiting for it to be picked up.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,836 posts, read 37,517,121 times
The rats are gonna love you! (they come from no-where.. when your future 'compost' shows up as trash. )

BTDT... so sorry I tried. Rats are MUCH harder to get rid of (once they get to liking your place).

In 30 yrs at this location, I had never seen one. then POOF, they are EVERYWHERE. (not a pretty sight / smell / health issue)

Old 01-10-2018, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I'm honestly not trying to be a smart butt here, but since all her efforts go into the garbage anyway, why doesn't she just take the garbage bag out sooner so it doesn't smell?
No problem at all. She is alone and if she makes a vegetable that requires peeling or chopping or tea or eggs the remains would sit in a large garbage bag for a week. There is little point in tossing a large garbage bag out with nothing in it. She uses a lot of fresh veggies and fruits so this makes far more sense and is np problems for her. To each his own.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Thank you very much. It's been a long haul but I'm walking with my walker a bit now and slowly but surely I'll be good as new...well as new as 71 can be after two broken legs!
Hopefully the warmer weather (of the spring) will move that along quickly for you. I recall when I first read that you were off the grid, glad to hear you are healing.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:41 AM

16,863 posts, read 51,384,651 times
I made the error of buying some potting soil at Lowes that was touted as recycled waste. The composting idea is fantastic, but when you get a group of "don't care" people and growers with problems contributing, then put that waste stream in a for-profit enterprise, bad things can happen. Composting won't take care of all ills. I have no idea what the problem was with what I bought, but plants that normally grew nicely were stunted and non-productive. Some things are best done at home, if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden