U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 09:35 AM

5,615 posts, read 7,898,993 times

Advertisements

Burning Bush is my absolute favorite and always will be. Never had anyone tell me not to plant it. Had huge bushes in Illinois and also trying to get them to grow here in AZ high desert. Pets have never had a problem with them and I, personally, think there is no reason to avoid these Fall beauties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 11:01 AM

66,760 posts, read 76,074,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Stop, youíre killing me. I cannot get any bulbs to row in GA....too hot in the winter, I guess. Nor can I grow alliums. I loved the giant alliums I had in Ohio, but when I planted a few bulbs here, nothing came up.

I enjoyed Wayside and J&P plants too, but they donít have much for the southern garden.

I went to Loweís garden area yesterday, and it was a pleasant stroll, although there isnít much out yet. Lots of pansies, which can go in the ground now here. I bought some cherry tomato seeds for patio pots which Iíll start today. I saw some pink geraniums there, which Iíll probably buy for the front porch in a few weeks.
We have lots of great bulbs but unfortunately our bed needs cleaning up and thinning. I can't bend over enough, so think as soon as the bulbs stop blooming I will hire our lawn guy to clean it up.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:35 PM

3,275 posts, read 1,369,849 times
I just went outside to check on the drainage pond and my bulbs are coming up all over! I hope we don't have a hard freeze later in the month to damage them. Ice or snow storms are OK though. If we have some sun after all the rain of the last two days (over 3"), they'll really be sprouting! Love to see it though.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:53 AM

3,267 posts, read 4,169,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Burning Bush is my absolute favorite and always will be. Never had anyone tell me not to plant it. Had huge bushes in Illinois and also trying to get them to grow here in AZ high desert. Pets have never had a problem with them and I, personally, think there is no reason to avoid these Fall beauties.

Do they need to be watered often after they are established? Do you plant them as a hedge?

Old 02-12-2018, 09:32 AM

5,615 posts, read 7,898,993 times
I never watered them. I planted them as a specimen plant, out in the open, in full sun so they got really red in Fall.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:39 PM

32,069 posts, read 40,276,620 times
Had a stroll around the HD garden department today. It’s sunny and warm and should be the same tomorrow. I inventoried the plants they had so I can plan my front landscaping.
I want some specific plants they didn’t have, so I ordered those online today.
I ordered an evergreen rhododendron and 2 Chinese snowball viburnums.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:11 AM

61,685 posts, read 43,849,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I just went outside to check on the drainage pond and my bulbs are coming up all over! I hope we don't have a hard freeze later in the month to damage them. Ice or snow storms are OK though. If we have some sun after all the rain of the last two days (over 3"), they'll really be sprouting! Love to see it though.
You're lucky.. I had to give up on all bulbs. Between Deers and Squirrels around here it was pointless to have. I still have a few that they haven't found yet.

Tropical Plants and Bulbs. 2 things I learned that aren't worth the time and money on for this area. lol

Old 02-16-2018, 08:18 PM

6,017 posts, read 1,587,262 times
Quote:
We had an unusual 2Ē snowfall last week, but yesterday it was 63 degrees. My spring fever started stirring. Last frost date here is around St Patrickís Day.

I have a back corner in the yard that saw two failed dogwood trees last year. I just ordered a camellia from Springhill to try, so Iím looking forward to getting it in a month or two.
Camellias are very beautiful, best wishes for you & yours! I've been dreaming of Spring full stop. Still cold & chaotic here on Long Island ~ who knows what tomorrow will bring? Soon come is what I've been dreaming about, nothing really specific although I've been thinking about adding a tree peony. I have three large & growing 'bunches' of the herbaceous type of peonies. These were here when we moved into our home & have learned their habits through the years ~ very beautiful & fragrant & not at all fussy. The nice folks that lived here before left three 'flat basket' things to place over before bloom time to hold the flowers aloft. I've used them & skipped using them ~ it's better when I use them because the flowers come in threes on each stem & are very heavy.

So anyhow, thinking & dreaming about a tree peony ~ there are many varieties & a place in Connecticut which has many. I'm sortof thinking about taking a road trip to visit? Could buy online but have to decide soon if I want to plant in Spring v Fall. Also just think it would make a nice & doable road trip.

Any suggestions or recommendations or experiences with tree peonies? Thanks & respect in advance.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:55 PM

66,760 posts, read 76,074,128 times
our bulbs have been coming up for a few weeks but need to be thinned this year. We got our planting of seeds pretty well done this morning: ran out of top soil so I will finish mine tomorrow after I stop to buy more. We planted radishes, tomatoes, cilantro, basil, dill and green onions. We may be too late for the radishes and onions.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:05 PM

6,441 posts, read 12,935,584 times
Quote:
Had a stroll around the HD garden department today. Itís sunny and warm and should be the same tomorrow. I inventoried the plants they had so I can plan my front landscaping.
I want some specific plants they didnít have, so I ordered those online today.
I ordered an evergreen rhododendron and 2 Chinese snowball viburnums.
Hi GA are you getting Viburnum macrocephalum or the other snowall ones? I've been eyeing those, but I'm still on the fence. Can you share how they do for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or