U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 01:30 PM

15,830 posts, read 47,871,382 times

Advertisements

Often I wait until Easter to buy the garden plant six pack sets. However, this past year there was a lack of selection and the pricing was significantly higher. Last time I bought seeds at Walmart, those too were premium price. Sheepers has quality and a good selection, but again pricing can be steep. In my quest for inexpensive seeds, I bought a few packets at the Dollartree with a 99 cent price mark (these were on a freshly loaded rack with the packing boxes nearby, so they are most likely fresh). When they rung up, they were all 25 cents per pack! Time to get out the starter trays and build some shelves inside, next to the patio door, and mark the calendar for when to start setting seeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 06:06 PM

2,021 posts, read 801,697 times
all seed packages I've seen are market with the year to be sold.

If you want to grow your own six packs, retail is pretty expensive. The only way I've found to save is to buy a "lifetime" supply through someone like Griffin. They sell by the case of 100.

I buy and start seeds to get cultivars I know I can't get in packs, not to save because I don't.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:53 PM

14,252 posts, read 17,423,940 times
I was checking online for reviews of Dollar Tree soil and found Youtube videos by people saying they'd purchased DT seeds and soil and had good results.

Honestly, I'm not that surprised. It will just depend on what you want to grow and what your expectations are.
I recently trasnplanted a crepe myrtle tree and ran out of expensive soil before I finished, so I just ran to the Dollar Tree which is close to where I lived and bought some $1/ 4 quart bags they had. The finished off the bed. They probably won't affect the soil one way or another, and I'd still choose the more expensve soil for future plantings, but, I was happy enough with what I got from DT.

So, It just depends on what your expectations are.

Old Yesterday, 01:23 AM

4,457 posts, read 7,872,720 times
How are the germination rate of those seeds?

I recently bought 3 packs from big box store. Sweet Basil germinated pretty well, almost all seeds germinated. But cat mint & lavender did not do well, only about 30% seeds germinated. Those are the fresh packs for fall/ winter of 2017.

I then planted 3-4 year old seed for mint. About 50% germinated.

Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM

2,021 posts, read 801,697 times
Season old seeds can do well if they've been stored in a cool environment, not an uncooled warehouse in the heat of the summer. Remember too that almost all seeds you buy in the spring will have been harvested the previous year. No need to go to the southern hemisphere for really fresh!

Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM

1,705 posts, read 703,629 times
I buy dollar store annual flower seeds every year, and I'd say 50% germination is about right. I direct sow, so it may be a little higher. Even if you double the rate of application, you are still way ahead of the game. Can't say as if I would buy veggie seeds tho. Everyone wants a good production when it comes to veggies, and I'm not sure that would be the case with those seeds. That's my way of thinking anyway.

Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM

10,235 posts, read 14,971,236 times
I have been buying parsley and basil at DS for years; got some Friday. It does the job for me. As our vegetable garden is tiny I look for things I cannot buy such as Armenian cucumbers last year. Simply delicious and a very high yield but Burpee seeds at 2.99.

A couple of Cardinal Climber seeds I "acquired" at Calloway Gardens 20 years ago turned into the source of hummingbird delight every fall. I just collect seeds. The same with morning glories. SO loads shotgun shells with seeds and plants morning glories at shooting range.

OT - plant a piece of fresh ginger root. The heavily scented blooms will continue to open when in a vase. Harry - check the tiger display at the BHam zoo for that.

Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I have been buying parsley and basil at DS for years; got some Friday. It does the job for me. As our vegetable garden is tiny I look for things I cannot buy such as Armenian cucumbers last year. Simply delicious and a very high yield but Burpee seeds at 2.99.

A couple of Cardinal Climber seeds I "acquired" at Calloway Gardens 20 years ago turned into the source of hummingbird delight every fall. I just collect seeds. The same with morning glories. SO loads shotgun shells with seeds and plants morning glories at shooting range.
I plant them every year for the same reason as you, but I gotta say, man are those seeds ever tiny! How the heck do you collect them?

Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM

12,082 posts, read 16,148,945 times
I re use the seeds I took from the previous flowers that were there the year before /. now tomatoes I do hybrids because of where I live so I have to buy the plants from hd or lowes . but flowers I use seed and then harvest the seeds from the flowers at the end of the season and they are even more beautiful than the original flower . I call them 2nd and 3rd generation . now squash and cucumbers I grow from the previous years seeds and they do very well the 2 nd and 3 rd years . I hope that makes sense and it sure saves money .

Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM

I hear ya phonelady61. I have not bought marigold seeds in fifteen years, and every year I get more than I can use, so I share the wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden