Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:18 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,653,981 times

Advertisements

Here are some pics of our wee water garden
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone have a koi pond or water garden?-watergarden-001.jpg   Does anyone have a koi pond or water garden?-watergarden-002.jpg   Does anyone have a koi pond or water garden?-watergarden-003.jpg   Does anyone have a koi pond or water garden?-watergarden-004.jpg   Does anyone have a koi pond or water garden?-watergarden-007.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 08:22 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,896,837 times
What beautiful pictures!!

Barb, I'm so sorry to hear about your goldfish. My bullfrogs haven't bothered our goldfish, either. Were your fish really small?

Old 04-29-2008, 10:33 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,706 times
jkme, I love your wee garden. What a peaceful place to meditate. Even without my fish, I go out to mine first thing every morning and and just sit there peacefully and think about the beauty of the green plants and the flowing water.

andthen, no my fish were big - the bull frog is just enormous! One of the fish was six inches long - I never thought the frog would get him.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:46 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,653,981 times
Thank you all

I put some little white christmas lights in the plants and the garden just sparkles at night. Great place to sit on the stoop, listen to the fountain and read a great book

Old 04-06-2009, 11:23 AM

and then there were three, I love your pond. Everything - rocks, shape, size, plants - all blend in so well. I wish my pond were as attractive.

I have a question for you about pond maintenance: Do you completely drain and clean out the muck from your pond every spring? I did when I had a smaller pond, but now that I've enlarged it, it's a time/energy consuming chore. Plus, I hate to disturb the habitat of my fish - one koi and two large comets. If you do clean it, do you capture the fish and put them temporarily in another container filled with water from the old pond?

I didn't get my water lily to bloom last year as I see you did. Any advice on how to accomplish this?

Old 04-06-2009, 12:21 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,659,603 times
Nice pics, would love to see more. Our pond has to be redone and I would like some ideas. Where do you buy the liners from?

Old 04-06-2009, 12:45 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,962 times
I have been wanting to put a pond with a waterfall in my backyard. Hopefully I will be able to get it done. I found some interesting websites that give some very helpful tips and advice on how to build a pond and making your own bio filter for a fraction of the cost of buying one. For anyone who is interested here are the websites.

Pond Rushes - So You Want to Build a Pond...

Building A Bio-Logical Filter

I live in fairly cold country so if I ever get my pond built I will have to build it so any fish I put in there can winter without a problem.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Nice pics, would love to see more. Our pond has to be redone and I would like some ideas. Where do you buy the liners from?
I got mine from Home Depot - the best deal i could find.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:01 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,659,603 times
Default Some nice pond ideas here I just found!

Just Liners Pond Gallery

Old 04-06-2009, 01:34 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,896,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
and then there were three, I love your pond. Everything - rocks, shape, size, plants - all blend in so well. I wish my pond were as attractive.

I have a question for you about pond maintenance: Do you completely drain and clean out the muck from your pond every spring? I did when I had a smaller pond, but now that I've enlarged it, it's a time/energy consuming chore. Plus, I hate to disturb the habitat of my fish - one koi and two large comets. If you do clean it, do you capture the fish and put them temporarily in another container filled with water from the old pond?

I didn't get my water lily to bloom last year as I see you did. Any advice on how to accomplish this?
Thank you!!

I don't completely drain my pond each spring, but I do usually drain about 1/3-1/2 of it. We also usually get a lot of heavy rains in the spring, and the water overflows through the rocks, (thankfully the fish stay safe in the pond!) and it kind of replenishes itself naturally with fresh water. I let the fish remain in the pond when I do the big water change. I wait for a warm spring day. One thing I have noticed, about in March the water gets nasty, green, and thick. I also have leaves leftover on the bottom of the pond. I add Microbe-lift, a natural, no-chemicals product once a month throughout the year, but I usually skip that in Jan/Feb because of ice. A lot of ponders will tell you just to add lots of plants in the spring, and the water will clear up in time, but the first year I tried that and after months the water was still pea soup.

I have been real lucky with my lilies, they bloomed without me doing anything special. I got the lilies from a kind member on a pond forum I belong to. Unfortunately, I don't get as much sun as I'd like over my pond, and in Connecticut our summers are rather short, so I don't get many repeat blooms on the lilies. I do fertilize them in the spring though, I shove a tomato spike into each pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden