U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 03:24 PM

2,392 posts, read 1,564,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks for more info! You've convinced me that it probably is some kind of pantry bugs. BTW, if you guys saw my last post, I said how I hopefully don't have to tell maintenance to handle it.

I'm a little ticked off at my fiance' right now, so I can't wait till he gets home from work today! So I had everything still laid out last night because I wanted to see if any bugs came back PLUS I wanted to really wipe off the dried non-toxic bug spray that I had sprayed yesterday before putting the food back in. He's so irked by clutter that without asking me, he had put everything back on the shelves &
I also discovered he threw away a couple of glass jars that my mom gave me.

I had to empty out a shelf again, so his "hard work" putting it all back didn't do any good because I saw a few more bugs back on the shelves AGAIN. Grrrrr.

It seems these bugs have been around for a while & I'm just now noticing it lately because on the shelving UNDER the liner were a LOT of dead bugs & their casings & some live ones crawling. (I don't go in my cupboard that much).

(BTW, I don't have flour in my pantry. I don't use it.)

Thanks for this good info! No, didn't inspect any boxed food, but I threw out a few boxes yesterday of boxed cornbread stuffing & a couple other things & I'll probably throw out several more today (Hamburger Helper, pasta salad, boxes, etc.).

Thanks for the good info! Those 2 substances you stated that I bolded above, WHERE do you get them & will they affect my breathing at all in a negative way? I have a respiratory issue (allergic asthma) & I don't want anything to set it off.

No. They are not stuff that's going to fly around the room. Boric acid is available even in some dollar stores. Look in the pharmacy/toothpaste, etc aisle. Cyper WP is available online. Not sold in stores. Just make sure you dust that stuff on dry surfaces and confine it to "runways" (places you see the insects walking). You don't need a lot, and you don't need to put it everywhere. But do inspect all boxes of stuff in those cupboards. Most likely they are coming from something there. Even a bag of flour It does happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 09:56 PM

4,248 posts, read 7,159,732 times
Thanks again guys! I'm getting REALLY aggravated by these bugs! I plan to get some bay leaves Monday...can't tomorrow.

I hate having to look all over to make sure no bugs get in my meals when I'm preparing them. My kitchen counters are a dark color, so even harder to see the bugs. I had to get out of the house today & do something to take my mind off them.

They crawl, but some also don't move until I try to pick them up w/ a paper towel & no matter how hard I press, I can't smash them...they must have a hard outer shell. Sometimes a stray one is in another part of the house besides the kitchen. My ammonia/water mixture kills them though, but the smell of that is quite strong & I have to inhale that.

When I got home this evening, there were a few on the counter, several in a box of instant oatmeal which I had to throw away, & a couple more (dead ones) IN the freezer. Grrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
No. They are not stuff that's going to fly around the room. Boric acid is available even in some dollar stores. Look in the pharmacy/toothpaste, etc aisle. Cyper WP is available online. Not sold in stores. Just make sure you dust that stuff on dry surfaces and confine it to "runways" (places you see the insects walking). You don't need a lot, and you don't need to put it everywhere. But do inspect all boxes of stuff in those cupboards. Most likely they are coming from something there. Even a bag of flour It does happen.
Thanks for explaining. I don't know about getting more chemicals in my space. I just Googled boric acid & I don't think I want to use that. It said & I quote:

"Boric acid is a dangerous poison. Poisoning from this chemical can be acute or chronic. Acute boric acid poisoning usually occurs when someone swallows powdered roach-killing products that contain the chemical. Chronic poisoning occurs in those who are repeatedly exposed to boric acid."

Old 02-04-2018, 06:21 AM

7,014 posts, read 8,900,881 times
I wold suggest that you take some of the dead or even one of he dead ones to a local exterminator so you can find out what you are dealing with. That way, at the very least you can tell them you are truly against chemicals and ask what natural things you might use to kill them. That said, it sounds like you have chosen to cherry pick what people have said, if you still have oatmeal. Throw all the stuff in the cabs out except for things in cans, regardless of whether or not you see bugs.

Now, I can assure you that wiping your cabs with Boric acid is perfectly safe. You are not going to drink the stuff. If you read the label of the ammonia you are using you would read the same warning. You should put gloves on when using anything at all in terms of cleaning products.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:00 AM
Status: "Never trust an atom, they make up everything." (set 25 days ago)

1,283 posts, read 1,971,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I wold suggest that you take some of the dead or even one of he dead ones to a local exterminator so you can find out what you are dealing with. That way, at the very least you can tell them you are truly against chemicals and ask what natural things you might use to kill them. That said, it sounds like you have chosen to cherry pick what people have said, if you still have oatmeal. Throw all the stuff in the cabs out except for things in cans, regardless of whether or not you see bugs.

Now, I can assure you that wiping your cabs with Boric acid is perfectly safe. You are not going to drink the stuff. If you read the label of the ammonia you are using you would read the same warning. You should put gloves on when using anything at all in terms of cleaning products.
Very good advice. If the OP had followed advice already given, this problem would have been nipped in the bud last Thursday.

Because of her asthmatic condition, I would not recommend using boric acid, simple because it could easily be inhaled. In twenty years of dealing with pantry pests professionally, I've only had to use a pesticide if the adult form of the insect was a moth.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Very good advice. If the OP had followed advice already given, this problem would have been nipped in the bud last Thursday.

Because of her asthmatic condition, I would not recommend using boric acid, simple because it could easily be inhaled. In twenty years of dealing with pantry pests professionally, I've only had to use a pesticide if the adult form of the insect was a moth.
I guess I missed the asthmatic condition however, if she is inhaling ammonia, well........enough said.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:34 PM

I was using an ammonia/water mixture for a couple of days there, but not anymore & I bought some bay leaves today after all & laid some around a few minutes ago.

Then there were always several in a corner where the 2 kitchen counters meet, but no kind of food there, so it seems there's a crack they're coming out of there. I wiped, then laid some leaves right in the corners!

And it was my post #14 (bottom of that post) on page 2 where I 1st mentioned my asthma.

I'll try to see about asking a pest control tech.

Not cherry picking on advice. My fiance' had that last stuff laying around that I threw out ASAP.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 02-04-2018 at 12:49 PM..

Old 02-04-2018, 03:16 PM

366 posts, read 80,927 times
Quote:
I was using an ammonia/water mixture for a couple of days there, but not anymore & I bought some bay leaves today after all & laid some around a few minutes ago.

Then there were always several in a corner where the 2 kitchen counters meet, but no kind of food there, so it seems there's a crack they're coming out of there. I wiped, then laid some leaves right in the corners!

And it was my post #14 (bottom of that post) on page 2 where I 1st mentioned my asthma.

I'll try to see about asking a pest control tech.

Not cherry picking on advice. My fiance' had that last stuff laying around that I threw out ASAP.
Those crack areas can be key. Who knows what's in there or on the outside wall in that area. Hey, how about what might be growing just outside your wall...some sort of tree that attracts something. Or someone's little balcony crop...

Old 02-14-2018, 11:34 AM

OP back.

So, I've had this pantry pest problem for a while now.

A couple days ago, I was able to get FRESH bay leaves when I was in the area of this upscale grocery store that's an hr away from me, so I cut several leaves in 1/2 to really get the scent out & laid them around in place of the where I had the dried bay leaves. It's getting better.

Looking around now, I still see a couple bugs in a couple places, so I laid out a few more leaves.

I see several like to hide in the toaster, which has all kinds of crumbs at the bottom from breads & muffins. How does one clean out a toaster since you can't wet it?

Old 02-14-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
OP back.

So, I've had this pantry pest problem for a while now.

A couple days ago, I was able to get FRESH bay leaves when I was in the area of this upscale grocery store that's an hr away from me, so I cut several leaves in 1/2 to really get the scent out & laid them around in place of the where I had the dried bay leaves. It's getting better.

Looking around now, I still see a couple bugs in a couple places, so I laid out a few more leaves.

I see several like to hide in the toaster, which has all kinds of crumbs at the bottom from breads & muffins. How does one clean out a toaster since you can't wet it?
Please first the freezer now the toaster. What reason do you have for not having this addressed professionally? I understand that you have asthma, but you will not be the first person to have it that has bugs. Clearly you have no idea exactly where they are coming from. You have a good guess, but that is all it is. It is like healing things using a natural approach. The approach does indeed work sometimes, but sometimes you need the doctor. JMO, you now need the doctor. I could not live with bugs crawling in my kitchen.

I went through it the first summer living here and I had ants coming in through the electrical plug outlets. I didn't want to use a spray in the kitchen so I got ant traps and put them on the counter in the rear. That turned out to be even worse in one way. I had a military like parade from the receptacle to the trap. I was justt disgusted by the whole thing and I got an exterminator immediately. I never had another problem.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:25 PM

I got the toaster cleaned out! I'm not that worried, it will be OK. There were never tons of bugs to begin w/ & they've dwindled ever since I started doing something about them. Plus, I'm more worried about how the toxic sprays & insecticides a pest control person would be using will affect my respiratory condition.

Back at my parents' house, they'd get ants from time to time throughout the yrs & they never got any pest control service done. They'd get their all-natural bug spray & some bay leaves, wipe around things well & that's it. I originally started this thread because it was a bug different than ants, so I wanted to see if anything knew what they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or