Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 03:09 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times

Advertisements

look up "coppice"

I would cut them off at the ground. They will grow back in a natural shape. You may decide to remove a few after you see how they look.

Nik4me's advice is excellent but , if the hedge is very long, its going to be an enormous amount of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 04:38 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
You have to think about how nature works. When there are natural fires in forests, and the rhododendrons, mountain laurels, beautyberries, and other shrubs are killed back to ground level, they almost always resprout from the root crown. Many of the trees you see in forests today are actually sprouts from stumps where the original tree was logged a century ago. That’s just how they evolved to survive.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:49 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,323,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
As I said, that's not my hedge.

I don't know WHY you think it is so strange to ask for advice, or try to LEARN something you are unfamiliar with.

Of course I realize it is more work. As it stands right now, all I do is go out there and wack the new growth off with hedge trimmers. I know trying to prune it is going to be more work.

The hedge is short because it is in front of a walkway. It's not part of the main foundation hedges.

Sorry, your post just kind of irked me. lol....
What the heck? I'm just trying to get advice and learn something here.

Btw, once you convert your azaleas from sheared to natural shape- you do not need to do anything with them except occasionally remove broken or dead branches!
Your initial efforts will pay off with more enjoyment and no chore of shearing the hedge to shape every year.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:54 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
As I said, that's not my hedge.

I don't know WHY you think it is so strange to ask for advice, or try to LEARN something you are unfamiliar with.

Of course I realize it is more work. As it stands right now, all I do is go out there and wack the new growth off with hedge trimmers. I know trying to prune it is going to be more work.

The hedge is short because it is in front of a walkway. It's not part of the main foundation hedges.

Sorry, your post just kind of irked me. lol....
What the heck? I'm just trying to get advice and learn something here.
Yes I read it's not your hedge.

That's why I said "that hedge".

I never said it was "strange to ask for advice". I said I didn't know why you wanted to take on more work when you're not inclined to become a gardener "after all these years".

Alternatively, you could've just paid someone to come yank them out, or chop them to the ground and kill them off, or give you a consult.

Part of learning is to realize that people who have "been there, done that" actually may KNOW what they're talking about and be MORE familiar than you.

If you don't like a piece of advise you can ignore it. In life and on the internet!

Old 02-06-2018, 08:04 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
I have to agree with MrRational. You ain't gonna get the pretty back. When you start trimming away, you are going to find both sides of the bush are going to be naked. I don't think you will ever get enough lateral growth to fill in those areas. At least, not for quite some time anyway. (By that I mean years)
Exactly. You couldn't pay me enough to deal with the symmetry and spacing required, either. That would drive me crazy. I'd be out there every day trying to "fix" it.

I'd rather have to quickly prune 12 feet of hedge than see the eyesore of half naked hedge with dead stuff in between each original bush or the outside not having any live growth and looking like it went through a hurricane. LOL

But I'd definitely try the cutting down to the ground before the selective pruning. 100X over.

To each their own.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:28 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yes I read it's not your hedge.

That's why I said "that hedge".

I never said it was "strange to ask for advice". I said I didn't know why you wanted to take on more work when you're not inclined to become a gardener "after all these years".

Alternatively, you could've just paid someone to come yank them out, or chop them to the ground and kill them off, or give you a consult.

Part of learning is to realize that people who have "been there, done that" actually may KNOW what they're talking about and be MORE familiar than you.

If you don't like a piece of advise you can ignore it. In life and on the internet!
"not inclined to become a gardener after all these years" ?? I never said I wasn't a gardener. I said I have no knowledge of hedges.

As to the bold:
uh.... which is EXACTLY why I came here to ask the question.
And yes, you did make it seem like it was strange to ask advice.

Why pay someone for a consult, when I can merely ask advice online as a starting point?
And why would I pay someone to "yank them out" when I could easily do that myself if I wanted to. My thread is about finding out if it is POSSIBLE to get these azaleas out of this hedge shape INSTEAD of yanking them out.
You're just not making much sense.

What are you, a professional garden consultant that gets annoyed at people sharing information online?

Old 02-06-2018, 09:29 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Btw, once you convert your azaleas from sheared to natural shape- you do not need to do anything with them except occasionally remove broken or dead branches!
Your initial efforts will pay off with more enjoyment and no chore of shearing the hedge to shape every year.
Great point.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:46 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Oh, very interesting! Ok, so there is a little hope!
This makes sense. I'm going to try it once the weather warms up a bit.
The hedge itself is not very long, maybe about 12 feet long.
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!
Much appreciated!!

(and if all else fails, if I turn out not to be much of a green thumb with this, I'll take Mr.Rational's advice.)

Thanks guys!
Too much pruning can damage the plant---
And doing it while plant is growing-after dormant state-is also bad
Better to do now and be selective w/the overkill

Old 02-06-2018, 10:29 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I LOVE that hedge.

I don't know WHY you want to change it if you're not a gardener and don't have any skills in it.

You DO realize that the hedge is MUCH less work than all individual plants or whatever it is you think you want, right?

As you found out according to your OP.

Although I have no idea why some homeowner would prune their hedge to 3 foot tall.
If you truly "don't know why (op) wants to change it" you did not read the original post.

I'm with the OP. I hate trimmed hedges of any sort. ANY sort, including boxwood and all its ilk. I want my plants to look like plants, not boxes. Or spheres. Or ostriches, or deer, or weird spirals, or any other shape other than their natural shape. I don't care what is in YOUR yard, but in MY yard? Plants will be plants, not architectural statements, LOL!

And you are DEAD wrong about the amount of work it takes to "maintain" a plant allowed to grow in its natural form. That shouldn't require ANY explanation whatsoever, LOL!

Old 02-06-2018, 05:04 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
That is a LOT of information. How very nice of you to post all of that.
Thank you very much. I am saving all this info for reference.

You guys are all seriously awesome.
Once this project is underway (in the Spring) I will probably bump this thread back up to let you all know how it went. Hopefully, it will be good news, if not...I'll be posting a "OMG! I killed all of my azaleas!" thread. (just kidding)
Wholeheartedly agree folks here in the Garden forum are seriously awesome! There are so many knowledgeable & experienced people here ~ sometimes I just like to come here & read the various responses. (you guys are great, thoughtful, creative, & generous ... for sharing with amateurs like me. Many thanks, much respect, & greatly appreciate! )

Not sure I can give such great advice/recommendations unless I've had experience. I'm an experimenter & have to be inspired to do large pruning projects, I'm more inclined to enjoy the growth habits & also enjoy the 4 seasons of a plant's natural lifespan (here on Long Island, NY). I have to be in the mood to cut, prune, etc. & I don't think it's because I shy away from hard work or big projects. Also very much enjoy visiting other locales for the plants that do not grow here naturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Agree. Maybe a photo of a 'hedge' of natural shaped azaleas to visualize what the 'end product' might look like would be helpful?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden