U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 12:40 AM

5,701 posts, read 4,504,594 times

Advertisements

Ok, the above is NOT my hedge. However it looks like what I have in my yard. The previous owners cut the azaleas into a hedge like the one above. Over the years we've just kept it trimmed this way because I don't know what else to do with it. How can I get the azaleas OUT of this shape? I just want them to look like normal azaleas all kind of flowing and bush-shaped. Not a rectangle hedge. Whenever I've tried to just ignore the trimming and let them grow out, they look so horrible. They make our house look like an abandoned house... and I end up just going out there and trimming again.

I guess my main question is this.. if I just let them grow, and stop trimming them, will they eventually sort of grow into their natural shape or will they keep growing rectangular?

I know! Really stupid question. But I really don't know. I'm not knowledgeable about hedges at all. I just normally cut the new growth. But these azaleas... I hate that they're this shape. They're not even very tall, only about 3 feet tall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 05:24 AM

26,201 posts, read 56,449,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
How can I get the azaleas OUT of this shape?
I just want them to look like normal azaleas
Put your azaleas in however you like. But as to changing that hedge...
anything short of pulling it ALL up from the roots won't do it.

Learn to accept it for what it is: A nice looking hedge with some color.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:29 AM

6,177 posts, read 2,448,630 times
Quote:

Ok, the above is NOT my hedge. However it looks like what I have in my yard. The previous owners cut the azaleas into a hedge like the one above. Over the years we've just kept it trimmed this way because I don't know what else to do with it. How can I get the azaleas OUT of this shape? I just want them to look like normal azaleas all kind of flowing and bush-shaped. Not a rectangle hedge. Whenever I've tried to just ignore the trimming and let them grow out, they look so horrible. They make our house look like an abandoned house... and I end up just going out there and trimming again.

I guess my main question is this.. if I just let them grow, and stop trimming them, will they eventually sort of grow into their natural shape or will they keep growing rectangular?

I know! Really stupid question. But I really don't know. I'm not knowledgeable about hedges at all. I just normally cut the new growth. But these azaleas... I hate that they're this shape. They're not even very tall, only about 3 feet tall.
You absolutely can revise the appearance, but it is some work. Too bad they used azaleas for a hedge.
It looks like they are spaced about 4-5 feet apart.

Get some quality pruners and begin by removing all growth that is the diameter of a pencil. Nothing larger for now. Emphasis on the horizontal growth----it will separate the plants as you go and will become easier as you understand what you're doing.

You will end up with a line of jelly-bean shaped plants. They can be tuned-up later if needed. This will admit light into the interior and force growth deeper in the plant. You will be removing a lot of blossom buds for this season, but it has to be done.

You will have an enormous pile of clippings, but the improvement in appearance will be satisfying. Plus you will be absolved from people thinking you were responsible for an azalea hedge!

Follow with an application of PLANT TRUST 21-5-12 fertilizer. It's available everywhere so don't tell me you can't find it!
Sling it like chicken feed along the full length of the planting. You will be amazed at the results and you will become a believer!
Don't use anything else and don't be swayed by a know-it-all neighbor!

Good luck!

Old 02-04-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You absolutely can revise the appearance, but it is some work. Too bad they used azaleas for a hedge.
It looks like they are spaced about 4-5 feet apart.

Get some quality pruners and begin by removing all growth that is the diameter of a pencil. Nothing larger for now. Emphasis on the horizontal growth----it will separate the plants as you go and will become easier as you understand what you're doing.

You will end up with a line of jelly-bean shaped plants. They can be tuned-up later if needed. This will admit light into the interior and force growth deeper in the plant. You will be removing a lot of blossom buds for this season, but it has to be done.

You will have an enormous pile of clippings, but the improvement in appearance will be satisfying. Plus you will be absolved from people thinking you were responsible for an azalea hedge!

Follow with an application of PLANT TRUST 21-5-12 fertilizer. It's available everywhere so don't tell me you can't find it!
Sling it like chicken feed along the full length of the planting. You will be amazed at the results and you will become a believer!
Don't use anything else and don't be swayed by a know-it-all neighbor!

Good luck!

Oh, very interesting! Ok, so there is a little hope!
This makes sense. I'm going to try it once the weather warms up a bit.
The hedge itself is not very long, maybe about 12 feet long.
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!
Much appreciated!!

(and if all else fails, if I turn out not to be much of a green thumb with this, I'll take Mr.Rational's advice.)

Thanks guys!

Old 02-04-2018, 07:59 AM

2,183 posts, read 924,259 times
I have to agree with MrRational. You ain't gonna get the pretty back. When you start trimming away, you are going to find both sides of the bush are going to be naked. I don't think you will ever get enough lateral growth to fill in those areas. At least, not for quite some time anyway. (By that I mean years)

Old 02-04-2018, 08:25 AM

3,411 posts, read 1,543,799 times
Quote:
Oh, very interesting! Ok, so there is a little hope!
This makes sense. I'm going to try it once the weather warms up a bit.
The hedge itself is not very long, maybe about 12 feet long.
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!
Much appreciated!!

(and if all else fails, if I turn out not to be much of a green thumb with this, I'll take Mr.Rational's advice.)

Thanks guys!
Just remember, if you prune it early this spring you will have no blooms. The buds started forming shortly after the shrubs bloomed last spring. If you want blooms for the next year, pruning should be done right after the previous year's bloom time.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:47 AM

13,149 posts, read 28,876,415 times
Take a chainsaw and cut them to the ground, they’ll come right back from the roots and will be a natural shape.

I agree with you though, I hate “formal” hedged shrubs.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Take a chainsaw and cut them to the ground, they’ll come right back from the roots and will be a natural shape.

I agree with you though, I hate “formal” hedged shrubs.
I didn't know you could do that! oh wow.
Well, at least I have options now. I didn't know you could cut them all the way to the ground.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:20 AM

13,149 posts, read 28,876,415 times
Most broadleaf trees and shrubs will come back from the roots after being cut down.

Conifers, like juniper are the exception, it will kill those.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:43 AM

2,778 posts, read 1,069,622 times
I think cutting them to the ground is excessive, and it would take quite a while for them to come back to looking good.

I would start trimming them more casually; just snip back the longest branches, so the whole hedge gets a more rounded, natural shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden