U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2018, 03:12 PM

959 posts, read 272,785 times

Advertisements

This may be a simple bad or good idea.

Didn't want to cut in to .sparrow's post although there are some similarities.

But .sparrow's reminded me of my idea to root azalea branches that I plan to cut off in the spring. Instead of letting them go to waste. I would then give those away.

Last year I cut some off that were growing tall and I put them in vases for the house and as gifts for friends.

This year I want to address a lot of tall ones.

I have been reading about the fact that it is possible to root the cuttings in a pot. Any tips?

Additionally, about one more azalea. There are two or three spots I could put an azalea...what would happen if I dug up one of the big overgrown ones I have, cut off the top of the branches and transplant the two new ones created. Would that really upset that azalea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 03:18 PM

6,413 posts, read 8,843,170 times
The only success that I have had with both azaleas and rhododendrons for rooted cuttings is by layering them. Find a nice long branch of your parent azalea or rhododendron, bend it down to a small hole made into the earth beneath the parent, place first soil, then a rock atop the branch. Keep it watered and wait for about three months, remove the rock and the likelihood that you will find small roots is very high. When you find roots, cut the branch off of the parent and you will have an identical clone. I have a number of rhododendrons and azaleas that are in pots now and ready to go in the ground this spring that I started that way several years ago. I have tried to root cuttings off both without doing layering and rarely am successful. You can also bundle moss around a branch, moisten it and wrap with perforated plastic, keep it moist and several months later check for roots in the moss, remove the rooted branch and pot up when roots appear. Watering the layered cuttings with willow water will hasten the rooting.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:31 PM

TheDragonslayer, thanks so much. I remember doing something similar with indoor spider ferns many years ago when they were the thing. And I did the moss treatment with a tall indoor plant growing straight up many years ago...all successfully. I have occasion to get back into all that and loving it.

Where we are now, there are lots of azaleas growing in front and behind the detached garage. There's no room to place a branch into a hole since they are so close to each other and the garage. But I love recycling many things and repurposing...and long loved plants so I am going to incorporate your info.

I plan to offer several smaller trees free and have already read about the size of the root ball and the attention to continuing the lighting they were grown in. And,using your helpful info I may be able to offer many azaleas to friends eventually.

So, back to the azaleas. How about if I dig up every other azalea or two, do your treatments with the remaining azalea branches and donate the ones I dug up or place them elsewhere in the yard?

Second question.When should I do this since it involves several months? Spring?

Third. When you say you have ones like this in pots, do you wait for the shoots and then dig them and put them in pots? Or can I leave the shoots where they are and let them grow.

And fourth. When you say you did this several years ago...how long does it take before they are ready for the garden?

Old 02-10-2018, 01:51 PM

13,437 posts, read 29,353,115 times
I’ve done a lot of air layering too, but I use long sphagnum moss and foil. Just make a ball of the damp moss, place it under the branch, and then wrap with the foil. This method has worked for azaleas, camellias, holly, figs, and gordonia.

When the branch has grown roots and is ready to be cut from the mother plant, I usually do pot them up for a year, that way I can keep them in a partly shaded area until well established.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:46 AM

6,413 posts, read 8,843,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
TheDragonslayer, thanks so much. I remember doing something similar with indoor spider ferns many years ago when they were the thing. And I did the moss treatment with a tall indoor plant growing straight up many years ago...all successfully. I have occasion to get back into all that and loving it.

Where we are now, there are lots of azaleas growing in front and behind the detached garage. There's no room to place a branch into a hole since they are so close to each other and the garage. But I love recycling many things and repurposing...and long loved plants so I am going to incorporate your info.

I plan to offer several smaller trees free and have already read about the size of the root ball and the attention to continuing the lighting they were grown in. And,using your helpful info I may be able to offer many azaleas to friends eventually.

So, back to the azaleas. How about if I dig up every other azalea or two, do your treatments with the remaining azalea branches and donate the ones I dug up or place them elsewhere in the yard?

Second question.When should I do this since it involves several months? Spring?

Third. When you say you have ones like this in pots, do you wait for the shoots and then dig them and put them in pots? Or can I leave the shoots where they are and let them grow.

And fourth. When you say you did this several years ago...how long does it take before they are ready for the garden?
I practically have my own nursery , over 450 pots of trees and plants, many that I have had for years. I have mature trees in wine barrels that were planted from seeds. I start my cuttings in one gallon and they stay in that for two years, then on to two gallon or five gallon pots, they often bloom in those pots before I find a place for them. Air layering or the method I mentioned can be done any time of year since the branch remains on the mother till you remove it. I love finding overgrown azaleas and rhododendrons because they often have their lower branches already rooted and all I have to do is clean up the underside and come up with dozens of rooted cuttings. I have been on the same property for 18 years and have the time to wait for things to mature. I have a large leaf maple I planted from seed in 1999 that is now over 30 feet tall with a 2 foot wide trunk.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:31 AM

13,437 posts, read 29,353,115 times
Yup. I transplanted six ‘Fashion’ azaleas last week that had self layered under the parent shrub.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:33 AM

1,642 posts, read 589,946 times
I got some "babies" started by bending a branch on a bush and anchoring it to the ground. The branch then started growing its own roots 2-3 months later, cut it off, new plant. I am sure there is a name for this technique, but it works similar to air layering.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:12 PM

23,750 posts, read 17,512,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I got some "babies" started by bending a branch on a bush and anchoring it to the ground. The branch then started growing its own roots 2-3 months later, cut it off, new plant. I am sure there is a name for this technique, but it works similar to air layering.
just plain layering, or ground layering.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:18 PM

1,642 posts, read 589,946 times
Duh, I just reread previous posts #2 had what I was talking about already, sorry for the repeat of same info, theirs was better than mine too.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 03-13-2018 at 06:44 PM..

Old 03-13-2018, 11:32 PM

These are all great responses and great ideas. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or