U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM

137 posts, read 30,838 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of growing some dry beans this year. I've never tried growing them and am not really sure how to harvest and store them. Originally I was looking for Anasazi beans but I'm seeing new varieties of native beans that I'm curious about.

I don't have a root cellar or anything other than a chest freezer and regular fridge (that is usually pretty full). So, if I grow any sort of pod bean that is typically dried how should I go about storing them. My basement is warm and very humid in summer and about 20 degrees in winter.

I don't have multiple acres so it'd all be hand-harvested. Has anyone tried to grow any sort of dry beans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:31 AM

19,167 posts, read 22,488,318 times
I've never grown them but you just leave the pods on the vine until they are fully mature and dry out.

You have to crack the beans out of the pod. Once the beans are dry, you store them just like you store beans from the store.

Old Today, 01:30 PM

28,572 posts, read 45,078,655 times
We grow beans every year.

If they are too moist they may mold. Sometimes we need to put them in a dehydrator for a day to fully dry them.

Beans can be stored in brown paper bags. We also use 1/2 gallon mason jars to store beans.

Old Today, 01:39 PM

13,782 posts, read 15,021,661 times
I grow pinto beans.

Leave them on the plant until the pods are dried white. The beans will be dry and hard. If it has been raining, wait for a week of sunny weather before harvesting them. The pods should be paper-dry and squeezing the pod along the seams will cause it to easily split open letting the beans drop out.

Shell them; the worst part unless you have a better way of winnowing than I do :-)

Store the beans in plastic containers, either hard sided or simple freezer bags. They are very stable at a wide range of temperatures, but you need to use containers that will keep humidity out.

Old Today, 08:12 PM

19,167 posts, read 22,488,318 times
You didn't ask but if you pick string beans at their tender best and dehydrate them, (the whole thing) those are "leather britches" beans. You cook them by soaking and simmering until tender.

Old Today, 08:47 PM

137 posts, read 30,838 times
ooh I've been toying with the idea of getting a dehydrator for years....

I did not know that these beans would dry out on the plant- that's what I really needed to know I had images of upside down beans drying in my attic. I have never tried to preserve food by drying (even oven drying) so it's a relief to know nature would do it for me and if not a dehydrator would be the answer.

Still want a dehydrator and a vacuum sealer. There's just so many kinds for both that I haven't been able to pick one.

Thank you all of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden