U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2018, 03:48 PM

373 posts, read 207,967 times

Advertisements

Iíve never done gardening before or have much knowledge in even the basics but I have much interests in growing some of my own vegetables .

I reside in upstate New York . Albany area . So Iím not sure what would grow best here .

Some of the veggies I have interest in growing is peppers , onions , zucchini . And spinach or kale ?

What would I need to start , when do I start

And which of those veggies would grow here
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 04:41 PM

2,093 posts, read 2,693,098 times
This is your best source for localized, Albany County gardening information....Albany County Cooperative Extension.

Email: albanymg@cornell.edu

Call: 518-765-3514

Cornell Cooperative Extension
Albany County

24 Martin Road
Voorheesville, NY 12186
TEL: 518-765-3500
FAX: 518-765-2490
albany@cornell.edu
Hours: 8:30am-4:00pm, Weekdays

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Old 02-08-2018, 05:22 PM

16,143 posts, read 7,089,742 times
OP, all of the veggies you mention should do well.

Your very best bet is to find local gardening mentor(s), and contacting your county extension is a fine way to do that.

You might also just google "albany ny gardeners" and see what pops up. Rest assured, just about wherever you live in the continental US, there is a group of gardeners who just LOVE to talk about gardening and help each other out!

Your local library is a good place to "test out" books to find one you can relate to. If you want to grow organic, look for Eliot Coleman's books, he gardens in the northeast.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:47 PM

3,301 posts, read 4,836,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
OP, all of the veggies you mention should do well.

Your local library is a good place to "test out" books to find one you can relate to. If you want to grow organic, look for Eliot Coleman's books, he gardens in the northeast.
His partner Barbara Damrosch has a good book for beginners called Garden Primer and your library may have it. It was my first book decades ago and now there is an overflowing bookcase for just my gardening books and my long ago wish for a little more room to grow ended up with me retiring to 28 acres. It can be addictive so be careful what you wish for.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:45 AM

223 posts, read 197,862 times
I'd start off by first figuring out if and where you have enough sun!
Knowing this will help identify what you could actually grow. For example, tomatoes need a solid 8 hours of sun... at my place in Albany (hi neighbor!), I simply don't have direct sun in the same spot for that long, and haven't had much success with tomatoes because of that .. but other plants do okay.

I'm hoping to get a space in one of the community gardens this year (fingers crossed) that are run through Capital Roots in Troy.

Knowing your planting "zone" is very important, so you know when the ideal planting/growing season is based on our regions winter weather. Albany is in Zone 5. I've attached a link which shows you when to plant certain type of veggies.
https://www.ufseeds.com/learning/pla...nting-Calendar

The plants you listed, will likely all do fine here.

Are you thinking of in in-ground garden, or a container garden? I'd suggest maybe trying a container garden (large pots) first to see if you like it. The garden centers/ nurseries sell bags of container garden soil, as well as seeds and the plants (once in season).

I'm no pro, and have just been trying to figure this out on my own. I'd check out books in the library - they likely have tons of stuff on beginner gardens.. Honest Weight Co-Op could be a good resource for you in the future also. I think they hold classes sometimes.. and also sell organic plants/seeds/soil once spring hits.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:25 AM

3,301 posts, read 4,836,400 times
I forgot to mention that there are thousands of hours of You Tube videos on every gardening subject under the sun.

Some of my favorites that you might find helpful include:

MIgardener https://www.youtube.com/user/MIgardener

One Yard Revolution https://www.youtube.com/user/OneYardRevolution

Square Foot Gardening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xacGKj9y6Y

Start simple with just a few things you love to eat. Experience really is a great teacher.

Mostly - don't over think it - have fun.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:22 AM

64,964 posts, read 47,284,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
Iíve never done gardening before or have much knowledge in even the basics but I have much interests in growing some of my own vegetables .

I reside in upstate New York . Albany area . So Iím not sure what would grow best here .

Some of the veggies I have interest in growing is peppers , onions , zucchini . And spinach or kale ?

What would I need to start , when do I start

And which of those veggies would grow here

Awesome you want to start one. Not sure if you're considering moving to Northern CT based on that job potential you mentioned but it would be a slightly different climate than upstate NY.

All of the ones you mentioned will grow fine but you'll have to learn about timing and soil conditions.

Best advice I can give is watch some YouTube gardener videos. There's a thread in this forum for our favorite Youtubers, check it out.

Also.. Ask yourself if you want to grow in pots or in the ground.

The Spinach and Kale you can start outside sooner than the others. Keep an eye on the weather make sure there's no freezes or frosts coming which you can get upstate NY or CT till May.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:09 PM

34,525 posts, read 42,694,765 times
Make sure you have full sun, OP, or you will be disappointed in the results. How you garden depends upon whether you will use fertilizer or pesticides. Assuming you are using the soil in your yard, til it up good and add some compost. You can put down black plastic or other materials between the rows to keep the weeds down. You can look at the Square Foot Gardening website for their methods and tips, which some people swear by.

I use Miracle Grow fertilizer, and only use pest or disease control as a very last resort. Make sure any disease or pest control is safe for veggies.

Give yourself a fighting chance by buying plants that are disease resistant whenever possible.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:28 PM

9,184 posts, read 10,125,866 times
First, start with a few tomato plants and see how you do. You may or may not enjoy it. Spend as little money as possible to start. You don't need much. Consider taking a course.

Here's some specific information for your area. There was another posted for people who are experts. You don't need that.

https://www.facebook.com/ccealbany/

Old 03-20-2018, 08:44 AM

14 posts, read 4,381 times
Try also watching some gadening channels on Youtube and joining garndeing forums to get more tips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden