U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

7,398 posts, read 6,007,221 times

Advertisements

I'm rewatching this documentary and thought I would share the link. Plants do and understand more than we think.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CrrSAc-vjG4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM

5,621 posts, read 6,059,349 times
Plants do not "understand" anything. They do communicate however, mostly using volatile chemical signals.

Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Plants do not "understand" anything. They do communicate however, mostly using volatile chemical signals.
How do they communicate with other plants? How do they differentiate between two different targets?
Wouldn't that indicate a sort of understanding?

By the way, I'm not anthropomorphizing plants.

Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM

Understanding requires thought. Plant cells synthesize and release certain chemical triggers due to a disturbance such as insect damage. Other plant cells have receptors for these chemicals and when the receptor and trigger interact a cascade of biochemical events occur such as synthesizing another chemical that inhibits insect feeding. That is why studying biology and biochemistry are so fascinating. In plants this all happens automatically, without thought.

Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,978,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
How do they communicate with other plants? How do they differentiate between two different targets?
Wouldn't that indicate a sort of understanding?

By the way, I'm not anthropomorphizing plants.

That's an excellent documentary you posted. I watched it twice last year and enjoyed it.

There's a book written recently that backs up what's in the documentary and what luv4horses just explained above, it also goes into a lot more extensive information that couldn't be covered in the documentary. It would explain your above questions including explaining how plants communicate across distances via their interconnected roots and fungal systems using electrical signals every 2.2 seconds. And how trees and plants "understand" things. And so much more. It's a real eye-opener and does not anthropomorphize the subject matter but it will make you see plants in a new light.

I highly recommend this book, but take note that it's packed full of so much information it's slow going to read it and fully absorb it all. So it may need to be gone back over and reviewed more than a couple of times to fully comprehend everything the author has written about.

The book is titled The Hidden Life of Trees - by Peter Wohlleben. Here is a good review:

https://bookpage.com/reviews/20280-p...s#.Wn8tsWepVdg

Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM

12,049 posts, read 3,682,382 times
Negative talk in, negative out. No matter what it is in life. Everything is energy.

Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Understanding requires thought. Plant cells synthesize and release certain chemical triggers due to a disturbance such as insect damage. Other plant cells have receptors for these chemicals and when the receptor and trigger interact a cascade of biochemical events occur such as synthesizing another chemical that inhibits insect feeding. That is why studying biology and biochemistry are so fascinating. In plants this all happens automatically, without thought.
I wasn't implying thought in the human cognition sense. I was thinking more along the lines of say...artificial intelligence. Data comes in, is processed, and a response is forthcoming. Maybe a better, less controversial word would be awareness.

Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I wasn't implying thought in the human cognition sense. I was thinking more along the lines of say...artificial intelligence. Data comes in, is processed, and a response is forthcoming. Maybe a better, less controversial word would be awareness.
Now that I could get on board with. Also with Zoisite's excellent comments.

Old Yesterday, 11:51 PM

5,525 posts, read 4,287,775 times
Fascinating Video. I'll have to watch the rest later. I love this kind of stuff.
Thanks for posting it.

----------------
By the way.

Plants do talk.
I've heard them whispering to each other...

Boxwoods: "Hey azaleas... look out, here comes that little short lady and she has clippers in her hand. "

Azaleas: Nooooooo.... she doesn't know what the heck she's doing.... Ahhhhhh...... help us...

Yew: Well at least she just has clippers and not the chainsaw.

Spruce tree stump: Hey, I heard that.

Other Spruce tree stump: yeah, Yew. Dude, that is not funny.

Old Today, 12:13 PM

15,940 posts, read 48,199,724 times
Quote:
"Understanding requires thought." I'm going to disagree with this slightly. It may not even be a disagreement on anything but terms.

DEPTH of understanding may indeed require the process we call "thought," but "understanding" on a primal level doesn't require a brain, or even neurons. People with allergies don't think "Ah, a grass pollen particle! I shall now sneeze!" The reaction to pollen happens at a much deeper level, requiring no conscious level thought. The body "understands" that it wants to react to the pollen. The conscious reaction is merely a recognition of cause and effect on an intellectual level.

Until recently, most people did not know better than to confuse consciousness and intellect when discussing biology. It is becoming more apparent that all life has some form of basic consciousness, which is NOT based in neurons.

The Paramecium Engima

Because nuclear physicists understand the details of particle interactions and we don't, does that make the rest of us any less "conscious?" Is a dog less "conscious" than a human? Is a worm less "conscious" than a dog? Is a single cell lifeform less "conscious" than a multi-celled organism? ALL are conscious. The primary differences appear to be intellect, mobility, and purposeful ability to affect the surrounding environment. While it is important not to anthropomorphize, it is equally important not to deny lifeforms of their very real attributes.

Biochemistry is complex and fascinating, but perhaps to invoke reductionism of life to only biochemistry is a step too far. At the smallest levels, it appears that life depends upon interaction (and perhaps instruction?) from within the quantum world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden