U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 10:00 AM

14,441 posts, read 4,387,837 times

Advertisements

I don't have a garden but am so curious WHY the onions today are so huge. I buy yellow and red onions and sometimes I think one weighs close to a lb. Is this from special bulbs or is this GMO onions, or can anyone answer this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 10:51 AM

5,813 posts, read 6,341,376 times
Leave them in the ground longer and they grow bigger. (I can't believe you cannot figure this out for yourself.) And why do you want to bring up GMO onions? Usually GMO is just a breeding technique so you could have asked if there are new varieties coming on the market. There might be, but only if onion diseases or pests are becoming a problem in the areas where they are normally farmed.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:56 AM

Thanks sorry to bother anyone. I don't know everything.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:00 AM

1,949 posts, read 920,804 times
Leave them in the ground longer is not correct.
Certain growing conditions make fruits and vegetables larger/smaller.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:03 AM

4,245 posts, read 4,870,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Thanks sorry to bother anyone. I don't know everything.
Don't worry, we all need to learn.

Onion varieties have different sizes, but no matter what the size, if left in the ground too long they will rot. Most grocery stores carry only what customers like so we often visit the local farmers markets. Many of them have great information about what is grown locally.

Have you thought about growing some yourself in a pot? https://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/g...-growing-guide

Enjoy your onions, we do!

Old 02-10-2018, 11:09 AM

11,535 posts, read 5,946,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't have a garden but am so curious WHY the onions today are so huge. I buy yellow and red onions and sometimes I think one weighs close to a lb. Is this from special bulbs or is this GMO onions, or can anyone answer this.
I don't like the huge onions for the simple fact that sometimes (usually!) my recipes don't call for that much - you CAN throw the other half in a sandwich bag but most of the time I forget about it and the next time just cut up another onion and when I put THAT half in the crisper I find the old half an onion. Irritating...bigger is not always better and I certainly don't want to pay a premium price for something I don't want or need.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Don't worry, we all need to learn.

Onion varieties have different sizes, but no matter what the size, if left in the ground too long they will rot. Most grocery stores carry only what customers like so we often visit the local farmers markets. Many of them have great information about what is grown locally.

Have you thought about growing some yourself in a pot? https://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/g...-growing-guide

Enjoy your onions, we do!
Really do enjoy onions and use them in everything and this part of my life more than ever. But have kept wondering about the size. Some/Many of our veggies come from Mexico. My mother used to buy bags of onions (pretty small considering) and I hardly see those bags anymore.

I'm not into growing anything anymore, happy that I keep my fig tree in living room alive.
Thanks.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I don't like the huge onions for the simple fact that sometimes (usually!) my recipes don't call for that much - you CAN throw the other half in a sandwich bag but most of the time I forget about it and the next time just cut up another onion and when I put THAT half in the crisper I find the old half an onion. Irritating...bigger is not always better and I certainly don't want to pay a premium price for something I don't want or need.
I'm used to putting the part of unused onion in baggy and refrig it. I don't forget it. Many of my breakfasts contain chopped up onions. Sausage/egg/avocado/beans/onion.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:51 AM

5,155 posts, read 5,221,051 times
Jaminhealth - As far as I know there are no GMO onions commercially available at this time, although that will most likely change in the future.

You might find this website informative: http://onionbusiness.com/complex-top...y-bob-simerly/

Old 02-10-2018, 03:02 PM

4,245 posts, read 4,870,870 times
Support American farmers!

https://www.santamonica.com/santa-mo...armers-market/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or