U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 04:45 PM

2,252 posts, read 448,995 times

Advertisements

I love the scent of oleander flowers on a hot summer day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 04:57 PM

15,200 posts, read 6,255,949 times
The smell of rain falling on parched earth.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:43 PM

5,789 posts, read 2,818,433 times
I love them all.

But the scent of a rose is marvelous. Lilies, too.
The freshness of Pine.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:47 PM

9,541 posts, read 13,181,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Beat me to it, honeysuckle is wonderful and still prevalent in Northern VA. I'm surprised no one has done anything commercial with honeysuckle. Honeysuckle soda pop, honeysuckle flavored candy, maybe honeysuckle perfume or air fresheners.

It's also instant nostalgia for me, transporting me back to 70s New England riding a bicycle, building a tree fort, frogging, listening to AM radio, etal.

Honeysuckle, yes. There was an old style store on the main street in New Market VA that I used to stop at when traveling down Rt. 81 to NC. They carried honeysuckle soap, lotion, bath gels -- it was sooo fabulous that I started ordering it by mail from the company. Then all of a sudden -- poof -- the product was not offered anymore and most likely the store closed.

A search online for honeysuckle products brought up 4 or 5 resources, but none could match the true honeysuckle in the New Market VA's store's products. I believe there is a short harvesting time for honeysuckle and possibly difficult to harvest and produce soaps etc.

My other favorite scent is real Camelia. They are difficult to grow I've found.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:08 PM

4,714 posts, read 2,768,498 times
Orange blossoms, without a doubt. Growing up in SoCal, we had three big old orange trees in our yard from the days when the whole area was an orchard. In my memory it seems they were always in bloom, and the scent was so wonderful.

Later, when my husband and I were dating, we often from his house to mine past big orchards and they always seemed to be blooming, too. Most of those trees are gone now, but all I have to do is sniff the lemon tree we have in a pot, and be transported back to those days. Add the song of a mockingbird and the illusion is complete.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:57 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,657,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The scent of the resin in Western Black Cottonwood leaf buds. The resin is pungent and heady, sharp but sweet, balsamy, compelling, invigorating. Heavenly. Indescribable.
This sounds great! Will be on the lookout for one of the sources of scent you point out. Do they have scented candles with this? Sounds like a great ingredient for an herbal/scented shampoo or body wash.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:30 PM

5,146 posts, read 5,214,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
This sounds great! Will be on the lookout for one of the sources of scent you point out. Do they have scented candles with this? Sounds like a great ingredient for an herbal/scented shampoo or body wash.

I don't know how easy it would be to find the scented products commercially but you could try. I have seen balsam poplar shampoos and conditoners and that is similar to the cottonwood scent. Most herbalists and crafts people in the know around here who love the cottonwood scent will harvest their own buds and make their own products, arts and crafts.

If you have access to either western or eastern cottonwoods or balsam poplar the leaf buds are all similarly scented and you can collect some of the leaf buds yourself in the spring, allow them to dry, and then make your own products.

The scented candles are very easy to make because you can drop some buds into the melted pot of candle wax, let them soak for half an hour or more in the hot melted wax to infuse the wax with the scent, then remove the leaf buds and use the scented wax to make your candles. Potourri is easiest to make because you just mix a handful of the dried buds into a bowl with the rest of your potpourri ingredients. The dried buds also produce a wonderfully scented smoke when a few are thrown into the fireplace or woodstove, or into a pot of simmering water for scented steam. Don't let the simmering pot boil dry though because the resin in the buds is flammable.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:47 PM

12,646 posts, read 28,074,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

Hmm. I have many old camellias here, but canít say Iíve ever noticed much scent from them.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:16 AM

7,137 posts, read 3,013,336 times
I love roses, night blooming jasmine and the smell of fresh soil when you open the bag. I love the smell of rain and a freshly cut lawn. Can't deal with gardenias, way too powerful.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:58 AM

3,619 posts, read 3,529,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Honeysuckle, yes. There was an old style store on the main street in New Market VA that I used to stop at when traveling down Rt. 81 to NC. They carried honeysuckle soap, lotion, bath gels -- it was sooo fabulous that I started ordering it by mail from the company. Then all of a sudden -- poof -- the product was not offered anymore and most likely the store closed.

A search online for honeysuckle products brought up 4 or 5 resources, but none could match the true honeysuckle in the New Market VA's store's products. I believe there is a short harvesting time for honeysuckle and possibly difficult to harvest and produce soaps etc.

I stand corrected, a search on Amazon shows honeysuckle fragrance oil, everyday cleaner, body wash, hand cream, tea, detergent, candles, lip balm, etc. Mostly small brands. I'll have to give some a try.

This is a good thread, inspires me to focus more on my often neglected olfactory senses. My dog has been singing its praises for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or