U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 06:12 AM

3,035 posts, read 1,557,791 times

Advertisements

I bought a Jasmine bush about 10 years ago that was about $5 from Home Depot. It is now about 8 feet tall and several times a year a bunch of bees swarm all over it and then a few days later the little white flowers show up and the whole area in permeated with this wonderful Jasmine smell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 09:07 AM

2,675 posts, read 1,760,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Cool thread. I noticed my favorites are season dependent.

In Spring I love the smell of fresh cut grass & Lilacs
In Summer its the Ocean and Garden
In Fall its the Apples, Cider, Leaves, Firewood,
In Winter its Cinnamon, Gingerbread, Firewood, Pines

I'm probably forgetting one or two I really enjoy.

You took mine!

Except, in winter, also the scent of snow.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:28 AM

759 posts, read 220,808 times
There are a lot of natural fragrances I really like, a rose, Korean Spice Viburnum, Sweet Woodruff, too many to name I guess, but one that I really appreciate, and it has a wonderful fragrance, are those big, rangy, shrubs at the edge of my property. I planted them as a screen by the road and they are the only thing blooming in October. The flowers are inconspicuous so neighbors used to ask what was the source. You can smell them for almost 50 yards away.

https://www.smgrowers.com/products/p...p?plant_id=547

Old 02-13-2018, 09:29 AM

5,057 posts, read 2,888,448 times
Where I live in the desert there is some kind of wild plant that sends out a subtle nutmeg smell but only at night. I've never figured out what it is. Very pleasant. (Summer only)

Old 02-13-2018, 04:16 PM

68 posts, read 59,677 times
So agree with roses, gardenia, jasmine....I'll add a flowering pear tree. Even despite the pollen!!

Old 02-13-2018, 05:24 PM

13,435 posts, read 29,344,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joni78 View Post
So agree with roses, gardenia, jasmine....I'll add a flowering pear tree. Even despite the pollen!!
Eww, pear blossoms smell like dirty laundry and vomit.

Another plant I forgot to mention is Florida Anise. I have one that got rubbed by a buck a few days ago, so the air around it was filled with spicy aroma.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:42 PM

3,188 posts, read 1,469,171 times
Love the light, delicate soapy smell of blooming Four O'Clocks....

Old 02-13-2018, 09:46 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,772,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
If you have access to either western or eastern cottonwoods or balsam poplar the leaf buds are all similarly scented and you can collect some of the leaf buds yourself in the spring, allow them to dry, and then make your own products.
Thank you for the information on making your own products Zoisite. I found some of the buds for sale on Amazon, and they are not very expensive (under $10.00 from most sellers). They are marketed as "Balm Of Gilead Buds". I will have to tread carefully with them, however, as they may have dark powers...LOL. Two of the sellers are "Wicca Pagan Magick" and "Raven Moonlight"...

Many of you like summer season scents, and a few have pointed out favoring Jasmine. Reminds me of lyrics from a "Seals And Crofts" song from the 1970's...

"Summer Breeze, Makes Me Feel Fine, Blowing Through The Jasmine In My Mind"

I notice people tend to favor the scents of the climactic regions they were brought up in or have spent the majority of time in, myself no exception. I was born and raised in the Northeast and although not in Balsam Fir Country, Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire very close and I have visited those areas often. Wintergreen present both were I live and those regions as well.

My favorites tend to be cold climate pine/wintergreen, etc. type scents over warmer area floral scents. If I had been raised or spent the Lion's share of my life in Southern California or Hawaii, I wonder whether or not I would still favor the same scents?

Old 02-13-2018, 09:57 PM

5,484 posts, read 3,329,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
My favorites tend to be cold climate pine/wintergreen, etc. type scents over warmer area floral scents. If I had been raised or spent the Lion's share of my life in Southern California or Hawaii, I wonder whether or not I would still favor the same scents?
Scents are very evocative of memories so it makes sense that people would favor ones they remember and have special associations with from their younger days.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:03 PM

2,790 posts, read 2,500,326 times
Any season: A stand of pine / spruce after a rain - there's a park I like to hike with a hilltop of pine, which, whenever I walk it reminds me of Resphigi's Pines of Rome. Unfortunately, many of them were knocked down when remnants of Hurricane Sandy went through about 7 years ago but there are new seedling coming back in the open areas.

Spring / Summer: Fresh cut wild country grass mixed with clover and morning dew on lilacs when in bloom

Autumn: Fallen leaves mixed with a outdoor fire with cedar / spruce / pine logs snap crackling and popping

Winter: burning fire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden