U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 12:00 AM

4,664 posts, read 2,349,299 times

Advertisements

Lilacs and honeysuckles. Both send their fragrances with the wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 03:39 AM

15,527 posts, read 17,623,440 times
Rosemary, Jasmine, wild roses and Juniper .....

Last edited by JanND; 02-14-2018 at 03:50 AM..

Old 02-14-2018, 05:17 AM

7,569 posts, read 3,223,530 times
I forgot but a few years ago my sons and I who were teenagers at the time, went to Lakewood Retreat just north of Tampa. It was around Easter so the orange blossoms were in bloom and there was an orange orchard near us. Wow - that was beautiful. I wonder if cherry blossoms have a fragrance?

Old 02-14-2018, 07:18 AM

1,120 posts, read 1,696,437 times
Another "Travel Scent" was a vacation where I was re-tracing the "Oregon Trail" route settlers of the 19th century had taken. I remember driving in Wyoming and stopping by the side of the road, in addition to tumbleweed, there was alot of sagebrush. I distinctly remember the pungent scent in the air. My nose LOVES vacations...

Cedar another scent, I was in the historic "Indian King Tavern" in Haddonfield New Jersey just after they installed a brand new cedar roof. The wood was still "outscenting" and the whole interior smelled of fresh cedar shingles. Newly installed cedar closets another source of this scent. Neither apply to gardening, however.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:35 AM

62,446 posts, read 44,797,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Cedar another scent, I was in the historic "Indian King Tavern" in Haddonfield New Jersey just after they installed a brand new cedar roof. The wood was still "outscenting" and the whole interior smelled of fresh cedar shingles. Newly installed cedar closets another source of this scent. Neither apply to gardening, however.

Ohhh, Yeah, Cedar is another favorite of mine but I have to admit, too much is a bit overwhelming inside a home though. Too musty. Is that the right word? I'm no good describing smells. lol

I had some cedar logs dropped off for me and I use it to make kindling. The smell is awesome. More pics of it here.

Mmmm
Spoiler

Old 02-14-2018, 11:57 AM

5,305 posts, read 5,355,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Another "Travel Scent" was a vacation where I was re-tracing the "Oregon Trail" route settlers of the 19th century had taken. I remember driving in Wyoming and stopping by the side of the road, in addition to tumbleweed,there was alot of sagebrush. I distinctly remember the pungent scent in the air. My nose LOVES vacations...
That reminded me, sagebrush is another one I like. I'm particularly keen on the scent of sacred white sage that is used for making smudge bundles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_apiana The scent is exhilarating when you're putting together and tying up the smudge bundles, or if you go into a drying room where the freshly picked white sage branches are hanging loosely to dry and cure on lines strung up along the ceiling. Nothing else beats the scent of the smoke from smouldering white sage smudge bundles, or the scent of the vapour if the leaves are in a simmering pot inside the house to relieve the symptoms of head colds, flu and bronchitis.

Another one I really like is sweetgrass which smells so good it makes you want to eat it - (Hierochloe odorata) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierochloe_odorata. There are chemicals in sweetgrass that help to repel mosquitoes. A braid of sweetgrass hung above a door or in an open window is a good place to put it for that purpose and whenever a bit of breeze passes through it carries the delicious scent of the sweetgrass into the room. I would love to have a lawn of sweetgrass, it smells so good when it's growing and when it's freshly mowed and raked but I think it would be too expensive to maintain - and probably passers by would be pulling out and taking away handfuls of it in passing.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:32 PM

1,076 posts, read 961,206 times
Someone else said " tomato plant leaves." I love those too. Cedar and pine trees, flowers, herbs like mint, oregano, basil and sage. Cold, mountain air. citrus. Oh yes Honeysuckle, rain.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:46 PM

2,139 posts, read 2,734,665 times
I am particularly fond of the scent of lilacs, lily of the valley, and carnations. Perhaps it is because my parents raised those plants and my dad and I used to walk in the garden often, and he and I always smelled those flowers when they were in bloom.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:31 PM
Status: "Looking forward to Summertime! Life gets easier." (set 8 days ago)

967 posts, read 311,938 times
I was once camping over the hill and across the river from a farm where the farmer was cutting about an acre of mint. Smelled great for days there. Really fresh and invigorating. If you have room for a vigorous vine somewhere - honeysuckle.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:49 PM

690 posts, read 567,620 times
Any kind of Christmas tree.
Rosemary.
Tomato plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden