U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 10:04 AM

470 posts, read 482,159 times

Advertisements

Weeds have overtaken my yard. I'm going to get a professional to come and treat the yard with weed and feed, fertilizer, and lime. You know, the usual stuff. My question is: Will the weeds that border my yard and will continue to grow need to be dealt with. I can tell that the current weeds in my yard are from the woods and the outer edges of my property.

If I treat the yard properly, will the treatment prevent the weeds from creeping into my yard? Or, should I do something about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 10:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
27,825 posts, read 49,244,872 times
If the neighbors/woods have dandelions or similar weeds with wind-blown seeds, you will be paying that professional for many return trips. If they have creeping weeds like clover or buttercups, same thing. You really cannot stop it short of trespassing and treating the neighbor's yard. In my yard, we do get some weeds but most of what I have to constantly remove are tree seedlings from the huge firs, cedars, cottonwoods and cedars in the area. There is nothing that can be done other than pull them as they come up.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:07 PM

6,052 posts, read 6,766,483 times
There is an herbicide type that stops seeds from growing into weeds by interrupting germination. Trouble is, you need to use it all the time since there are always weed seeds trying to germinate. One of the names is Preen, but there are others too. Seeds that travel on the wind or are pooped out by birds or stick to wild animal fur will always have a chance of entering your yard. You could try putting up no trespassing signs, but seeds don't read.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:06 AM

63,537 posts, read 45,888,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
Weeds have overtaken my yard. I'm going to get a professional to come and treat the yard with weed and feed, fertilizer, and lime. You know, the usual stuff. My question is: Will the weeds that border my yard and will continue to grow need to be dealt with. I can tell that the current weeds in my yard are from the woods and the outer edges of my property.

If I treat the yard properly, will the treatment prevent the weeds from creeping into my yard? Or, should I do something about them?
Wind & birds will be the reason why you'll most likely get a return of weeds into your yard but I doubt it will be as bad(see below). Check with local town laws on what you can do in those woods that border you if you ever decide to.. There might be streams and runoffs that is used for drinking water downstream.

Like Hemlock140 said, you'll most likely be paying a Pro to routinely come by and keep the weeds at bay.

The plus is...I doubt will ever be as bad. Once you finally deal with those weeds in your yard, it will be hard for new weeds to germinate with you continuing to mow and with the weed killer in ground. So don't fret about the ones in the woods. Leave those for nature and wildlife. Just keep mowing and plucking. If it gets overwhelming again, just throw the weed & feed stuff down.

Lastly.. you can always put a barrier or low fence to stop those woods weeds from coming in. I think that would look ugly but that's just me.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
27,825 posts, read 49,244,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
There is an herbicide type that stops seeds from growing into weeds by interrupting germination. Trouble is, you need to use it all the time since there are always weed seeds trying to germinate. One of the names is Preen, but there are others too. Seeds that travel on the wind or are pooped out by birds or stick to wild animal fur will always have a chance of entering your yard. You could try putting up no trespassing signs, but seeds don't read.
Nor do birds and rodents.

Yes, pre-emergents are expensive and require constant use all year long.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:24 AM

4,142 posts, read 2,102,053 times
Why are we poisoning the planet to make it look manicured? When you are gone, it will revert back to the disorderly way nature intended it to be anyway. Why poison it just for the temporary time you are here on earth?

Old 02-14-2018, 11:28 AM

63,537 posts, read 45,888,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Why are we poisoning the planet to make it look manicured? When you are gone, it will revert back to the disorderly way nature intended it to be anyway. Why poison it just for the temporary time you are here on earth?
I used to say that all the time until I realized the $$ lost by "letting things go". When you own you realize the benefits and value of a manicured property. It's also to keep yourself healthy and things clean. Mold, mildew, pests, diseases, viruses, air quality, mosquitoes, bugs, ect. But if you're in a rural area without much population and demand for homes, I kinda agree, who cares. Let nature be. In OP's defense I assume the reason is the former, not the later.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:41 AM

299 posts, read 223,342 times
I dunno. I live in a rural area. I have 3/4 acre of manicured yard, and 4 acres of trees and grass that I let grow. I like both. I spray my lawn for broadleaves every other fall, and that is enough to keep things at bay.

All things will revert back to nature at some point. Does that mean we should just sit here and do nothing, because nothing we do will be permanent anyway?

Old 02-14-2018, 06:09 PM

13,118 posts, read 28,852,020 times
If I had my way, my entire yard would be wooded with no grass. Unfortunately I have a septic field and power lines, so I’m forced to maintain a lawn area.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:17 PM

20,941 posts, read 25,339,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If I had my way, my entire yard would be wooded with no grass. Unfortunately I have a septic field and power lines, so Iím forced to maintain a lawn area.
I live on 9 wooded acres and have no lawn. The septic field is in a wooded area that I have finally removed most of the underbrush from using the evil Round-Up. Areas close to the house have shrubs and mulch. All utilities are underground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or