U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2018, 11:04 AM
 
Location: From the Middle East of the USA
400 posts, read 442,084 times
Reputation: 299

Advertisements

Weeds have overtaken my yard. I'm going to get a professional to come and treat the yard with weed and feed, fertilizer, and lime. You know, the usual stuff. My question is: Will the weeds that border my yard and will continue to grow need to be dealt with. I can tell that the current weeds in my yard are from the woods and the outer edges of my property.


If I treat the yard properly, will the treatment prevent the weeds from creeping into my yard? Or, should I do something about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2018, 11:51 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
26,607 posts, read 46,366,542 times
Reputation: 24899
If the neighbors/woods have dandelions or similar weeds with wind-blown seeds, you will be paying that professional for many return trips. If they have creeping weeds like clover or buttercups, same thing. You really cannot stop it short of trespassing and treating the neighbor's yard. In my yard, we do get some weeds but most of what I have to constantly remove are tree seedlings from the huge firs, cedars, cottonwoods and cedars in the area. There is nothing that can be done other than pull them as they come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2018, 01:07 PM
 
Location: NC
5,647 posts, read 6,099,671 times
Reputation: 10813
There is an herbicide type that stops seeds from growing into weeds by interrupting germination. Trouble is, you need to use it all the time since there are always weed seeds trying to germinate. One of the names is Preen, but there are others too. Seeds that travel on the wind or are pooped out by birds or stick to wild animal fur will always have a chance of entering your yard. You could try putting up no trespassing signs, but seeds don't read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2018, 06:06 AM
 
Location: CT
60,119 posts, read 42,500,813 times
Reputation: 9559
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
Weeds have overtaken my yard. I'm going to get a professional to come and treat the yard with weed and feed, fertilizer, and lime. You know, the usual stuff. My question is: Will the weeds that border my yard and will continue to grow need to be dealt with. I can tell that the current weeds in my yard are from the woods and the outer edges of my property.

If I treat the yard properly, will the treatment prevent the weeds from creeping into my yard? Or, should I do something about them?
Wind & birds will be the reason why you'll most likely get a return of weeds into your yard but I doubt it will be as bad(see below). Check with local town laws on what you can do in those woods that border you if you ever decide to.. There might be streams and runoffs that is used for drinking water downstream.


Like Hemlock140 said, you'll most likely be paying a Pro to routinely come by and keep the weeds at bay.


The plus is...I doubt will ever be as bad. Once you finally deal with those weeds in your yard, it will be hard for new weeds to germinate with you continuing to mow and with the weed killer in ground. So don't fret about the ones in the woods. Leave those for nature and wildlife. Just keep mowing and plucking. If it gets overwhelming again, just throw the weed & feed stuff down.


Lastly.. you can always put a barrier or low fence to stop those woods weeds from coming in. I think that would look ugly but that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2018, 11:18 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
26,607 posts, read 46,366,542 times
Reputation: 24899
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
There is an herbicide type that stops seeds from growing into weeds by interrupting germination. Trouble is, you need to use it all the time since there are always weed seeds trying to germinate. One of the names is Preen, but there are others too. Seeds that travel on the wind or are pooped out by birds or stick to wild animal fur will always have a chance of entering your yard. You could try putting up no trespassing signs, but seeds don't read.
Nor do birds and rodents.

Yes, pre-emergents are expensive and require constant use all year long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2018, 11:24 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
3,617 posts, read 1,732,995 times
Reputation: 3783
Why are we poisoning the planet to make it look manicured? When you are gone, it will revert back to the disorderly way nature intended it to be anyway. Why poison it just for the temporary time you are here on earth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2018, 12:28 PM
 
Location: CT
60,119 posts, read 42,500,813 times
Reputation: 9559
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Why are we poisoning the planet to make it look manicured? When you are gone, it will revert back to the disorderly way nature intended it to be anyway. Why poison it just for the temporary time you are here on earth?
I used to say that all the time until I realized the $$ lost by "letting things go". When you own you realize the benefits and value of a manicured property. It's also to keep yourself healthy and things clean. Mold, mildew, pests, diseases, viruses, air quality, mosquitoes, bugs, ect. But if you're in a rural area without much population and demand for homes, I kinda agree, who cares. Let nature be. In OP's defense I assume the reason is the former, not the later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2018, 12:41 PM
 
243 posts, read 170,258 times
Reputation: 370
I dunno. I live in a rural area. I have 3/4 acre of manicured yard, and 4 acres of trees and grass that I let grow. I like both. I spray my lawn for broadleaves every other fall, and that is enough to keep things at bay.


All things will revert back to nature at some point. Does that mean we should just sit here and do nothing, because nothing we do will be permanent anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2018, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Floribama
12,379 posts, read 27,654,087 times
Reputation: 10072
If I had my way, my entire yard would be wooded with no grass. Unfortunately I have a septic field and power lines, so I’m forced to maintain a lawn area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2018, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
19,214 posts, read 23,734,537 times
Reputation: 22644
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If I had my way, my entire yard would be wooded with no grass. Unfortunately I have a septic field and power lines, so Iím forced to maintain a lawn area.
I live on 9 wooded acres and have no lawn. The septic field is in a wooded area that I have finally removed most of the underbrush from using the evil Round-Up. Areas close to the house have shrubs and mulch. All utilities are underground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top