U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 05:15 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,475,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nothing coming up or blooming here "yet". Ground still partially frozen.

You guys might get 70s Thurs-Fri this week and again Wednesday next week. Jet stream lifting north while dipping in the west so we've switched. The west is getting winter and we're getting Spring now.

Only advice I can say is cover them, but there might be so many nights/days you would need to so not sure if you want to go through the hassle of it.. Just let nature take its course. The little sensitive ones we can find a way to protect but its the crops which we can't. Lets hope the fruit trees don't bloom OR lets hope we don't get a late freeze. Remember Mid March last yr in the south? Or April 6th, 2016?

I don't know how you guys do it. Orlando has 8 days in a row in the 80s now. I saw folks doing landscaping and attending their pools. It's only February. lol
Come down in July when we are in a reverse west wind flow and see what true hell is all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 05:38 AM

67,253 posts, read 76,954,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Anyone having this issue??

Mid Feb and we are going to have more winter weather, but two days in a row...60 degrees. I'll have to cover them when the temps go back down to freezing...
yes, ours started a couple of weeks ago and we had an ice storm over the weekend. The bulbs are still jsut fine. We have had this happen many times throughout our years here and when we lived in NO. VA. We still have nice flowers when the time is right.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:21 AM

2,789 posts, read 3,595,976 times
We forget just how tough plants are, especially if they're established in good drained loam and are planted at the right level.
Relax.
Where I am in BC it's been -19 C. and then we had a one day "Chinook", or as De Caprio said when filming here: "Global Warming". My chard started to grow.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:25 AM

478 posts, read 1,622,622 times
They pretty much always start poking sometime in January or February a bit. Only in the absolutely coldest years have they not. True in Maryland, and was true in Ohio as well. I consider it normal.

No need to cover them. At this stage they can tolerate temps in the teens.

Daffodils especially. Tulips wait a bit longer, usually.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:36 AM

1,156 posts, read 310,825 times
Oh yes! Bulbs are up and a few blooming down here in Phoenix area, way too early. Daises are even starting to bloom. This has been an unusually warm and dry winter season for us.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:01 PM

10,632 posts, read 1,916,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'm in Missouri...

My bulbs include tulips, daffodils and then later, Daylillies. I never pull up the dead growth around them to end of March...so I don't know if they're coming up or not. I hope not, but wouldn't be surprised if they are, under all the dead stuff. (You know...dead leaves of the bulbs.)

Do you have any dead pine needles in the yard? They would make a good cover for the bulbs.
oh yes, I do, thanks for the reminder...

Old 02-14-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yep. We are getting below freezing night temperatures and slushy rain but the snow drops came up 3 weeks ago and now stuff coming up are crocuses (already blooming), tulips, daffodils, blue bells, tiny grape hyacinths and big pink hyacinths. The peonies and bleeding hearts are just starting to show little red shoot tips peeking up out of the ground. The evergreen primulas are blooming too.

Peonies and bleeding hearts...? They are very early there...

Old 02-14-2018, 12:04 PM

10,943 posts, read 15,724,272 times
Single digits last week, 70F today and the next cold snap is in sight. Daffodils are coming up everywhere

Old 02-14-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Ha! I feel your concern GreatBlueHeron. Down here, it's been 'spring' for the past 3 weeks. It almost hit 90 degrees yesterday. With no rain, my trees and plants are freaking out. You being in North Carolina can grasp the situation.
I'm going to buy fertilizer granules and start watering this weekend. The 10 day forecast is showing high 80's.
This is usually the coolest month of the year for us. Not this time around.

Lucky you....a very long growing season

Old 02-14-2018, 12:14 PM

5,305 posts, read 5,355,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Peonies and bleeding hearts...? They are very early there...

Well, they're always early here anyway because of the mild Pacific coast climate and I'm in a zone 9B microclimate but this year the tips are peeking up and looking around a couple of weeks earlier than usual. I can tell you, they are NOT happy campers today though because last night it snowed all night long and there is still a layer of snow blanketing everything, it's not melting in spite of the sun shining this afternoon. I guess it's just as well the snow is sticking though because it's supposedly going to be getting well below freezing temps tonight so hopefully the snow will insulate their tender tips.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden