U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 02:44 AM

2,242 posts, read 2,314,047 times

Advertisements

I'm lazy and buy autoflowering feminized seeds, 3-5 seeds cost 10-30 Euros but you get a plant from every seed and just sprout em and put them in a little cup with soil till they get a few inches tall and then move them into bigger pot and into a closet with a grow light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 04:34 AM

5,269 posts, read 8,216,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Way back when... When weed was cheap, $15 for and ounce, $100lb, but it was much, much weaker than present day strains. You would always get some seeds in your purchase, buds with seeds, leaves and some stems too. It seems (haven't partaked in decades) nowadays it looks like they harvest before the plant goes seed, ie: immature buds have no seeds, so where do you get your seeds? My friends and I would save some seed to grow some of our own. Just find a wooded area with a small clearing in soil that is good with some moisture and a handful of time released fertilizer. Figured it is a weed, should grow just fine given the right spot. We would randomly plant some here and there so they would just blend in with the rest of the plants growing around.. It worked very well. Maybe went by once or twice to see progress and harvest when ready. Never more than 3-4 plants, sometimes more for each of us. But we just let them grow wild, no pampering or trimming. It was only for personal use.
Actually growers discard the male plants before they mature since they do not produce flowers. Just type "Marijuana seeds" into your google search engine and you will find a source.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:22 PM

204 posts, read 94,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
my sister makes cannabis oil (legally in her state) and when I visited her I managed to save 6 or 7 seeds from her batch of refuse so she could try to grow some when she gets better. The seeds appear to have a hard shell and without doing any research on it, i suspect the seeds might need some light scarification to help it germinate.

I've never used the stuff but I think she spent over $200 for an ounce of the stuff but it seemed like a large quantity of material.
they don't need to be scarified. you could just put them directly in the soil. i like to use the paper towel method myself. wet paper towel folded a couple times with the seeds in the middle. they usually germinate within a few days

Old 02-23-2018, 09:59 AM

4,755 posts, read 8,380,470 times
LOL. WOW! What a wealth of knowledge (and experience) here!!! Keep them coming guys!

In all honesty I probably will not experimenting with growing it, but as a gardener I do have a sincere “intellectual curiosity” on how to grow them, how do you choose & decide the variety to grow, etc.

My newly adopted State recently passed law to allow legalization of growing them but imposed a hefty fee in order to get a permit. It’s too much hassle & expensive just for my intellectual curiosity.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:01 AM

4,755 posts, read 8,380,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
I'm lazy and buy autoflowering feminized seeds, 3-5 seeds cost 10-30 Euros but you get a plant from every seed and just sprout em and put them in a little cup with soil till they get a few inches tall and then move them into bigger pot and into a closet with a grow light.
How do you “feminize” seeds? How can you tell if it’s female vs male, on plants! ?

Old 02-23-2018, 10:27 AM

1,650 posts, read 595,853 times
Wow, I guess I am not so surprised that pot growing has gotten so technical and complicated. It just sounds like too much. I guess if you insist on high quality that's what you do. Where as I just saved seeds from my last bag and planted them in a sunny spot and was just fine. But back in the "olden days, 1970" pot wasn't as potent, and for me it was plenty potent enough. You could smoke a single small, or half, bowl to yourself and that was fine, but plenty high. From what I've heard of this modern day stuff I would have been put in a coma if I smoked a whole bowl.
Do you really need such potent pot?

Old 02-23-2018, 12:03 PM

13,432 posts, read 24,199,022 times
Today's pot doesn't have much in common with the stuff that was on the streets for cheap decades ago. I was surprised the first time I walked in to a dispensary. It's science now!

Plain old pot is basically a weed and easy to grow. Almost as easy as dandelions. But it's not going to be the same quality as the stuff in the dispensaries.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:16 PM

734 posts, read 464,213 times
For a personal stash google “CFL Rubbermaid grow box”

Old 02-23-2018, 12:28 PM

204 posts, read 94,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
How do you “feminize” seeds? How can you tell if it’s female vs male, on plants! ?
You can get feminized seeds by applying colloidal silver to the calyxes of a female plant in the early stages of flowering. This causes hormonal changes in a female plant which makes the plant produce "female" pollen which you then use to pollinate another female, and voila! There may be another way to do it, but that's the way I've heard of going about it.

As far as the sex, you have to look closely at the nodes of the plant. Male plants will have little ball like sacs that fill with pollen that start to form, wheras females will have just calyxes with little white hairs (the pistils) growing out from them. It's easy to confuse the two at first when they are just beginning to appear, but once you learn it you will know right away when you have a male. You have to kill/separate the males into another closed off room or else they will pollinate and ruin your bud. In the outdoors, pollen can be carried in the wind and "contaminate" the rest of your crop. It is possible tho, to collect the male pollen and with a small brush or Q-tip - you can carefully pollinate just one single branch on your female plant which will give more than enough seeds for the next grow without having to sacrifice the rest of the buds on the plant.

here is a pic for comparison: https://imgur.com/a/OkxEq

Old 02-23-2018, 12:38 PM

5,269 posts, read 8,216,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Males have "balls". Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or