Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 05:21 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,867,812 times

Advertisements

There, I said it.

Well? Somebody needs to throw the first stone....

Now that it’s legal in many states for... er.... ahem..... medicinal purposes.

I confess I don’t know anything about marijuana but I understand there could be as many varieties as Crepe Myrtle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 05:29 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,097,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
There, I said it.

I confess I don’t know anything about marijuana but I understand there could be as many varieties as Crepe Myrtle?

Lol, what a question, too funny.

Ok, well I don’t grow it or indulge but I think the requirements would be similar to any other plant, light, water, fertilizer. It would probably thrive outside during the summer months.

Good luck with your quest and I hope it helps with your ‘condition’.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:32 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,624,194 times
Quote:
There, I said it.

Yup. By my last count there are one bajillion 37 varieties.

Cannabis as a plant is easy to grow. It did in fact grow all over the midwest in vacant lots (which is how it picked up the common nickname "weed") as recently as the early 70s. These plants were escaped hemp varieties grown for fiber during WWII.

Growing for medicinal/recreational use is more fiddly, for the same reasons that growing carrots is more fiddly than growing Queen Anne's Lace.

AFAIK, you need a permit to grow it legally, and keeping it under control means growing it inside, although I could be wrong about that, so if you're serious about it, check with your state. It was once very common to dedicate an unused closet for this purpose - line the closet with something reflective, install a big light, and plant the seeds you got along with your $10 lid. That died out when people got to the point where they were buying houses instead of renting them, and also when people started to sneer at smoking just the leaves and would only pay for the buds.

But yes, anyone who can grow a tomato can grow cannabis. They require approximately the same weather, watering, fertilizer, and light pruning to get the best product.

And there's way more information on the web about growing it than you could possibly digest in your lifetime. Seeds are also available. Here's a single example - http://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com

Yes, I use. I use CBD candies for when my gut is killing me (I have IBS), it works way better for my heartburn than Prilosec ever did, and I don't get a bit high. I occasionally also use THC strains recreationally. But in my state, it's not legal for me to grow it at home, so I don't.

Last edited by jacqueg; 02-19-2018 at 05:48 PM..

Old 02-19-2018, 05:37 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,948,114 times
Back in the day, we used to grow it in a closet with grow lights, and told visitors it was marigolds.

It's easy to grow, don't know about varieties you'd like though. Leafly.com has lots of info about growing, look under News/Growing.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:40 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,288,356 times
It's a weed, lol.

I grew one in my college closet lined with foil and a regular light. My friend gave it to me. I didn't smoke but it was so cute and about 2 inches tall. May rolls around and I told my mother I wanted to take Bud home, all 6 feet of him. I had no idea how to make him bushy but he sure did grow tall without much help from me, lol.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:27 PM

7,904 posts, read 12,610,855 times
Quote:
There, I said it.

A quick Google search returned 2,290,000 pages using the key phrase "How to grow marijuana". (Just in case you do not learn what you want from this thread)

Old 02-19-2018, 07:00 PM

19,924 posts, read 8,815,529 times
You can even find growing kits being sold on the internet.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:56 PM

2,598 posts, read 2,149,362 times
Way back when... When weed was cheap, $15 for and ounce, $100lb, but it was much, much weaker than present day strains. You would always get some seeds in your purchase, buds with seeds, leaves and some stems too. It seems (haven't partaked in decades) nowadays it looks like they harvest before the plant goes seed, ie: immature buds have no seeds, so where do you get your seeds? My friends and I would save some seed to grow some of our own. Just find a wooded area with a small clearing in soil that is good with some moisture and a handful of time released fertilizer. Figured it is a weed, should grow just fine given the right spot. We would randomly plant some here and there so they would just blend in with the rest of the plants growing around.. It worked very well. Maybe went by once or twice to see progress and harvest when ready. Never more than 3-4 plants, sometimes more for each of us. But we just let them grow wild, no pampering or trimming. It was only for personal use.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:58 PM

23,530 posts, read 69,959,736 times
Quote:
There, I said it.

Knowing which state you are in, you might find my story enlightening.

One day, about four or more years back, I heard a helicopter in our quiet rural area. I looked up and it was over my property on the other side of the road at a low level. Curious, I walked to the road and was standing near the church, when one of my neighbors stopped in his pickup truck to see what was going on. Then we saw sheriff cars coming up the road.

The two of us looked at each other and mutually determined "this could be worth the watch."

Then another neighbor, whose relative had a police scanner joined us. Suddenly, through the weeds coming up from the draw, we all see a shirtless fellow running "H bent for leather" across my land and into woods on the other side. "Didja see that?" "Yup."

Apparently, another neighbor had allowed a friend to grow a dozen plants in his "garden." When the thrumming of the copter awakened the sharecropper and he heard the sirens, he took off like a skeered rabbit, without any shoes... right through my blackberry brambles.

Word was he was easy to ketch.

You might not want to grow in Alabama. If you do, at least wear shoes.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:27 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,524,144 times
When I lived in Santa Barbara I heard about an older Mexican lady who was arrested for growing weed. Apparently she brought some bird seed up from Mexico for her parakeets. During nice weather she brought the parakeet cages outside, and the birds threw seed on the ground. Some of it sprouted into weed plants, unbeknownst to her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden