U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 06:57 PM

22,953 posts, read 28,872,305 times

Advertisements

backyard

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 03:54 PM

so truegreen was supposed to do an aerate and seed this fall and they failed. it was a crazy back and forth scheduling and pushing things back and ultimately i got very little out of this fall season which sucks. so i am trying to plan for the spring. im thinking sometime in april maybe renting a slit seeder and going over the lawn myself. from when i google, i see that you need very dry conditions or you can destroy what is there. im willing to do it again in the fall if i can get some success in the spring. i dont think im willing to deal with a company for it anymore.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:13 PM

27,000 posts, read 58,583,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im thinking sometime in april maybe renting a slit seeder and going over the lawn myself.
im willing to do it again in the fall if i can get some success in the spring.
Expect to. In Mid August.
Spring planted seed won't mature enough to endure the hot summer.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Expect to. In Mid August.
Spring planted seed won't mature enough to endure the hot summer.
i have read that. but everything i have right now was planted in the spring so its not a 0% success. some areas turned out better than others. id like to fill in the parts that are more sparse as soon as i can.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:47 PM

2,256 posts, read 1,021,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so truegreen was supposed to do an aerate and seed this fall and they failed. it was a crazy back and forth scheduling and pushing things back and ultimately i got very little out of this fall season which sucks. so i am trying to plan for the spring. im thinking sometime in april maybe renting a slit seeder and going over the lawn myself. from when i google, i see that you need very dry conditions or you can destroy what is there. im willing to do it again in the fall if i can get some success in the spring. i dont think im willing to deal with a company for it anymore.
I certainly agree with that. I use a local guy who does my fertilizing, weed control, etc. but I have never had a good experience with a national company. In fact, they sprayed and killed my fescue some years ago. I now have Zorro Zoysia, and I like it much better than fescue.

BTW ... when I had fescue, I'd sometime overseed without aerating, and it worked just as well. And it's cheap ... a little starter fertilizer, and seeds are cheap. And you don't have to wrestle with a big aerator. I don't really think aeration is needed every year unless it's a really high traffic area.

Old Today, 12:54 PM

8,888 posts, read 9,151,235 times
What i would do based on my local climate in Mass

Spring: Sod
Fall: Seed

I've had bad luck getting seed planted in the spring to survive the summer. 50/50 odds really, meanwhile everything I plant in the fall grows well and then grows even more impressively the following spring.

Old Today, 03:16 PM

27,000 posts, read 58,583,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've had bad luck getting seed planted in the spring to survive the summer.
50/50 odds really
Far less than 1 year in 2 as it comes down to the weather.
There are some summers with the right mix (or right enough) of rain and sun
that WILL allow the new shoots to survive ...and some that will even allow them to thrive.

But neither anomaly will happen often enough to justify making plans around
(that's why it's an anomaly); vs planning on summer weather being both hot and dry.
What does your Farmers Almanac tell you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden