U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 02:42 PM

24,286 posts, read 23,305,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i am aware of that issue, that you cant seed because that stuff will kill the seed. i figured id wait a few weeks, throw it down and hope for the best. if it doesnt work, i am no worse off. however, if the seed causes negative stuff like additional weeds then i wouldnt want that.
Decent seed shouldn't contain weed seeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 02:30 PM

23,640 posts, read 29,792,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Decent seed shouldn't contain weed seeds.
thats not the concern. i did a little googling last night. the concept is that when you spray a weed preventer in the early spring, it creates a chemical barrier in the first inch of soil that prevents the weeds from developing. now, this chemical barrier could likely prevent my seeds from germinating and reaching their true potential in life. that is sad but not a biggie. however, my lawn guy is suggesting that by dropping the seed i could be breaking the chemical barrier of weed protection and negating the effectiveness of my weed control. this could lead to a weed outbreak the likes of which have never been seen before.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:46 PM

1,391 posts, read 481,784 times
It is very difficult to grow new grass in the spring and even if you manage to do it, itís often just about dead in the middle of the summer. The window for planting new grass is best done in the early fall.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:25 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,132,793 times
I have done Sod, and just for the small front lawn, and I paid $1600. 3 guys came out and took 3-4 hours. It came out really good, it was instant green.

I was told by the guy, that yes seeding is 50% of the cost, but you will have to deal with a bad looking lawn for a few weeks. Final results is probably similar if done right.

If you want to do it, now it's the time to do it, otherwise, best time to do it is Fall.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:55 PM

3,198 posts, read 1,490,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
I have done Sod, and just for the small front lawn, and I paid $1600. 3 guys came out and took 3-4 hours. It came out really good, it was instant green.

I was told by the guy, that yes seeding is 50% of the cost, but you will have to deal with a bad looking lawn for a few weeks. Final results is probably similar if done right.

If you want to do it, now it's the time to do it, otherwise, best time to do it is Fall.
That's a lot for a small front yard.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:39 PM

10,312 posts, read 21,045,534 times
What part of Jersey are you in?

In Burlington county we had seed, I loved the grass. In Gloucester we have sod which I hate to walk in. It's so thick.

We use true green, have no issues and have the best lawn around here

Old 04-14-2019, 01:18 PM

i believe others have posted here but ill just give a quick mention of my situation. so i did seed around may 2018. im not totally unhappy with it but its thin in a couple of areas of my lawn. i had hired truegreen to seed again in the fall but they failed to do it so i lost that season. i feel id be in a substantially better place if they did it. i am going to rent a power seeder and do it this fall. im confident that a year from now, things will be great.

still looks pretty decent right now, especially in the front which is the most visible area. things should start looking better over the next few weeks as things start to grow and bloom.

Old Today, 10:29 AM

i took a few pics of the more important parts of my yard (front). from some angles and in some areas it looks great. from other angles and areas its not so great. this is just from a single whole yard seeding last may. based on where i am at today, i feel confident that a year from now i will have a great looking lawn just about everywhere.

where can i find e85 gasoline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden