U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 07:37 AM

662 posts, read 378,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
do you want to get rid of quail get yourself a border collie she cleaned out my entire yard of rabbits . she did not kill them they just don't come in my yard anymore my guess is because they have seen her and smell her . without her my tomatoes would have been eaten by now from those furry varmits .
That makes me smile. I can just picture her.

I do have a dog that does the same thing, but he is not out all the time, so the quails still have opportunities to pillage! We did clear out some shrubs last year and that has seemed to help. They don't have as many easy places to hide now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 06:01 AM

12,981 posts, read 17,419,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
That makes me smile. I can just picture her.

I do have a dog that does the same thing, but he is not out all the time, so the quails still have opportunities to pillage! We did clear out some shrubs last year and that has seemed to help. They don't have as many easy places to hide now.

oh no my border is not out all the time either because of the tremendous heat and beside the fact that dogs want to be with their pack and I and the other lil dogs are her pack and she is very protective of me . In fact the other day the neighbor came over and she hit the window and the neighbor jumped and I swear if I did not know better she was snickering because she scared someone .Do you remember the cartoon with the old lady on the cane and the hound dog that used to protect her ? that is how I feel sometimes . anyways take a look at my photos of the mortgage lifter and german pink now german pink I don't think I will grow again but the mortgage lifter oh my yes .

Old 07-08-2018, 09:55 PM

662 posts, read 378,411 times
Quote:
oh no my border is not out all the time either because of the tremendous heat and beside the fact that dogs want to be with their pack and I and the other lil dogs are her pack and she is very protective of me . In fact the other day the neighbor came over and she hit the window and the neighbor jumped and I swear if I did not know better she was snickering because she scared someone .Do you remember the cartoon with the old lady on the cane and the hound dog that used to protect her ? that is how I feel sometimes . anyways take a look at my photos of the mortgage lifter and german pink now german pink I don't think I will grow again but the mortgage lifter oh my yes .

Old 07-10-2018, 11:34 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,096,724 times
Beautiful update Nickman! Your plants are amazing! Your front yard with all the flowers is just gorgeous! Love love love!!
You have a green thumb for sure!!

I have something eating the tops off of some of my green pepper and tomato plants and I suspect it is a deer. Found deer poop in the garden. Argh...although I do love the critters, I just don't want them mowing down my veggie plants. LOLOL

Old 08-11-2018, 05:00 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,121,915 times
Just wanted to give a heads-up that I have not forgotten about updates. I have had some unexpected personal things come up and work has been CRAZY, but things should be settling down very soon and I should have time to do a massive update. Other than extreme heat and several insane thunderstorms (including almost 10 separate hailstorms), things in the garden are doing remarkably well. I am hopeful for a personal record-sized tomato in the coming weeks.. my largest of all time was a 1 pound 15 ounce Burcham's New Generation from last season, so the elusive 2-pounder continues to evade me. My largest so far this season has been a 1 pound 4 ounce Barnes Mountain, but there are several others on the plants that appear significantly larger to the eye..

Stay tuned. I hope to submit a big update up in the next week.

Last edited by NickMan7; 08-11-2018 at 05:08 PM..

Old 08-13-2018, 03:11 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,096,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Just wanted to give a heads-up that I have not forgotten about updates. I have had some unexpected personal things come up and work has been CRAZY, but things should be settling down very soon and I should have time to do a massive update. Other than extreme heat and several insane thunderstorms (including almost 10 separate hailstorms), things in the garden are doing remarkably well. I am hopeful for a personal record-sized tomato in the coming weeks.. my largest of all time was a 1 pound 15 ounce Burcham's New Generation from last season, so the elusive 2-pounder continues to evade me. My largest so far this season has been a 1 pound 4 ounce Barnes Mountain, but there are several others on the plants that appear significantly larger to the eye..

That would be Great NickMan!
Looking forward to it!

Old 08-14-2018, 06:03 AM

68,666 posts, read 78,674,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post

can't wait.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:45 PM

Default Thursday, August 16, 2018 Update!

Oh my gosh, friends, my apologies for taking so long to get this update out. Again, life sometimes just gets in the way and that has been the case for me. I make no excuses, so let's get on to the update.

Our temperatures have finally moderated back to normal after an extraordinarily hot start to the season. Since mid-July, we've consistently held in the mid 80s to lower 90s which is much more normal for us. We've also had a very robust monsoon season with quite a bit of rain and tons of severe weather. July 25 brought 80mph+ winds and golf ball sized hail that destroyed numerous trees in our neighborhood and decimated my flowers. Fortunately, once rooted, they are very hardy and have rebounded almost completely. The veggie garden was spared almost completely thanks to my shade cloth. We've had 12 hailstorms at our house this season. For comparison, we had zero last year (well, we had one, but the garden hadn't been planted yet). Local news reported yesterday that the Front Range alone (the corridor generally from Cheyenne, WY to Pueblo, CO) has had more than 300 hailstorms this season, the most in about 10 years. Keep in mind we don't get hail until May. There have also been numerous days with tornadoes, thankfully most of them in rural areas well east of most major cities in this region. We are expecting seasonal to below-average temps over the next 7-10 days with a few chances for thunderstorms, particularly this coming weekend.

As far as the garden goes, all is doing extremely well. Our early heat meant many of the tomato and pepper flowers did not pollinate properly, or even at all, so much of the harvest is actually several weeks later than usual this season. Having said that, the onset of cooler weather in July has encouraged tons of new growth and production, so we are just now experiencing our first gluts. I expect consistent production for the next 6 weeks or so before the frost comes in early-mid October (hopefully even later).

Below are the varieties I am growing this season, along with numbers harvested to date and other notes as needed:

1. 1884 (x2) - 2 count - True to form, these tomatoes are gorgeous and HUGE. My first tomato harvested was 1 pound, 12 ounces and the second was 1 pound, 6 ounces. I have at least another 15-20 fruit at a pound or more on the plants right now. This is a wonderful variety and the plants are robust and vigorous.
2. Aker's West Virginia - 0 count - Very large, gorgeous fruit. Slightly fluted. Was late to produce last season - looking to be the same this season. Super healthy and robust plant.
3. Amana Orange - 2 count - Gorgeous, pure orange fruit with sweet flavor. Juicy. Weighs in right around 1 pound.
4. Aussie - 0 count - Beautiful fluted, flattened beefsteaks that are dark pink to brilliant red. Absolutely delicious. One issue I had was that many fruit had large cores, so not always the best for perfect slices.
5. Barnes Mountain - 1 count - Produces nice orange beefsteaks that are quite large. First fruit was 1 pound, 4 ounces.
6. Big Beef (x2) – 8 count – Huge, almost perfectly round slicers. All fruits so far between 11 and 14 ounces. I am not the biggest fan of flavor (tends to be blander than most), but is very disease resistant and is reliably productive.
7. Bush Early Girl (x3) – 42 count – Third season growing these and they will be a garden staple. Always produces beautiful mid-size tomatoes perfect for sandwiches and salad. Almost no blemishes and very reliable.
8. Celebrity – 0 count – This plant is in-ground and was not protected from recent hailstorms. While it should produce a few fruit, I hear very good things about this variety and will try it again in 2018 in hopes of better production.
9. Cream Sausage – 23 count – The best little cream-colored paste tomatoes. Very mild flavor. A favorite in our household. Makes very interesting pasta sauce.
10. Dester – 3 count – Large, delicious beefsteaks. Looks to produce quite a lot of fruit around a pound (maybe heavier). Looking forward to more from this guy.
11. Dr. Wyche's Yellow – 0 count – A perennial fave now for 3 seasons, it does not disappoint. I have not harvested a fruit yet, but the plant is loaded heavily with large, perfect fruit just waiting to ripen.
12. Giant Belgium – 1 count – Very large and vigorous vines with huge fruit. I have not tasted this one yet – stay tuned!
13. Golden Girl – 9 count – Large, round light orange fruit averaging 8-10 ounces. Compact determinate plant produces tons of these tomatoes. I have at least 50 unripe fruit on the plant as of this update.
14. Grandpa's White Wax – 0 count - Seems to have a semi-determinate growth habit, though it is an indeterminate. Fruit has not yet ripened, but the plant has set dozens of medium-sized beefsteaks. Should ripen to a beautiful white/cream color.
15. Harless Creek – 0 count – Healthy, large plant producing a couple very large fruit. Does not appear to be as productive as other varieties, but the fruit should be delicious.
16. Hillbilly – 0 count – This plant seems to have a very strange growth habit. It has lots of short, thick branches coming out of most main growing stems. Lots of fruit set, nothing harvested to date.
17. Kosovo – 0 count – This has some amazingly huge heart-shaped fruit on it. I am very much looking forward to sampling this variety.
18. Krasnodar Titans – 0 count – I knew better than to plant in-ground where this plant is struggling from recent hailstorms. I will grow again next year because of much success in the past. I still hope to get a handful of decent fruit before the frost comes. We still have time.
19. Manyel – 0 count – This variety also seems to have a semi-determinate growth habit. While the plant is extremely healthy and lush, it is not very tall. The fruit, however, are plentiful. I hope they taste as good as they look!
20. Mr. Underwood's Germant Giant – 0 count – Again, another very robust plant that should produce numerous large beefsteaks. See a recurring theme here?
21. Nicholajevna Pink – 0 count – I planted this one late to replace a diseased plant and it is a bit behind. It appears to be producing very large and perfect beefsteaks. Excited to see what transpires with this variety.
22. Paragon – 2 count – Similar in size and shape to Big Beef (slightly larger than Bush Early Girl), but much more flavorful. A perfect sandwich slicer.
23. Stump of the World – 3 count – Unfortunately, for the first time, this plant caught a disease fairly early, but I left it in anyway. I should get 4 or 5 additional medium-sized fruit from it. I will grow again next year because I have had very good results in several previous seasons.
24. Yaqui (x2) – 5 count - My favorite long-storage paste tomato. Huge, blocky fruits are very meaty with little juice and thick skins. Keeps extremely well on the counter for a week or longer. The best I've grown for fresh pico or in applications where super juicy is not desired. The plant in the whiskey barrel has set copious amounts of fruit while the in-ground plant is struggling a bit since it was hit by hail. Next season will include 3-4 in containers where they thrive. It is the only variety I grow that gets BER every season regardless of what I do. It goes away on its own after the first flush of fruit and then the rest of the season is stress-free.

My other main focus this season has been peppers, mostly varieties of jalepenos. Below is a list of the varieties I'm growing, along with numbers harvested to date and other notes as needed:

Hot:

1. Anaheim (x2) – 8 count
2. Emerald Fire Jalapeno (x3) – 66 count – These are HUGE jalapenos, some nearing 5" long, with medium heat and perfect flesh. Absolutely the best stuffing/baking jalapeno I've ever grown. Very prolific.
3. Flaming Jade Serrano – 32 count – Very hot, perfect serrano peppers. Plant is productive, but not overly so.. at least not yet.
4. Jalafuego (x2) – 35 count
5. Jalepeno Early (x2) – 28 count – Smaller, blunt jalapenos. Quite hot. Good for pico and salsa.
6. Jalapeno M – 19 count
7. Lemon Drop (x2) – 0 count – I am waiting for all of the green peppers (hundreds of them) to turn yellow so I can dry and make pepper flake.
8. Long Cayenne – 0 Count
9. Poblano (x2) – 11 count – I've made chiles rellenos once so far and they are always make a top-notch garden to table dinner. Hope to make one more round and the rest are used in pico and salsa where they add a nice smokey hint.

Sweet:

1. Golden Calwonder (x2) – 0 count
2. Red Knight (x2) – 0 count
3. Sweet Banana (x2) – 24 count

I have done a few batches of pickled peppers, but most of this year is just about enjoying growing food. I am sharing a ton of what I'm growing this season since I still have 4 cases of canned tomatoes from last season. Next season will be another huge tomato canning season because I will need to replenish my stock by then. I hope to set up another 4 Earthboxes and some other containers, as well.

My flowers out front are doing very well considering the onslaught of hail we've had this year. They are VERY resilient. They just come back each time, honestly sometimes even more beautiful than before. Nature's pruning, I guess. The petunias in the bed closest to the front porch have struggled to recover, but the impatiens are doing very well.

Enjoy the photos below. All were taken this past weekend, August 11-12.
Attached Thumbnails
My 2018 Container Garden-img_0650.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0651.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0652.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0654.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0655.jpg  

My 2018 Container Garden-img_0658.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0659.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0661.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0662.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0686.jpg  

My 2018 Container Garden-img_0690.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0693.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0699.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0706.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0664.jpg  

My 2018 Container Garden-img_0672.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0670.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0671.jpg  

Old 08-16-2018, 04:12 PM

12,981 posts, read 17,419,006 times
very impressive nick im done for the season I started way early though too and im happy with what I got including cukes . In another month the weather will turn off cool here and will begin the fall season usually around the end of sept and beginning October . I was just thinking of your location today when I saw the news about that guy who killed his wife and little girls it is north of Denver where they live sad truly sad .

Old 08-17-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
very impressive nick im done for the season I started way early though too and im happy with what I got including cukes . In another month the weather will turn off cool here and will begin the fall season usually around the end of sept and beginning October . I was just thinking of your location today when I saw the news about that guy who killed his wife and little girls it is north of Denver where they live sad truly sad .
Hi phone! Yeah, your season is a couple months ahead of mine. If I hope to get any lettuce or root veggies this fall, I must plant them soon. Our first hard freeze is around the third week of October, but with cover, lettuces and other cool season stuff can survive several freezes before they finally succumb. I sort of want to to do so, but not sure I have the inclination. While the garden is large and producing well, I'm just not focused on doing more than I can handle. Saving up my energy for a big year of preserving my harvest next season, I guess.

Yes, the Watts story is heartbreaking. Frederick is the next town north of where I live, so I am very familiar. A coworker actually lives around the block from the family's home and she had interacted with the family numerous times in passing. It is very sad. Goes to show you just truly never know..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or