U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 12:50 PM

13,082 posts, read 17,607,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Yes, indeed. I also give lots of home canned goods to friends and family. Family is good about returning them; friends are hit or miss. And, of course, when I am giving stuff away in earnest during the fall, I never remember who got what, so trying to collect them back is a futile exercise.

oh my goodness I am a strict record keeper . I write it all down in a journal and keep the journal for like 5 yrs after writing the last page in it . a journal usually lasts me a year or better . I get that from my dad who was also a strict record keeper . nickman write it down is the best way . I put tomatoe seeds in pots up on my window garden in my pantry and hopefully they will pop up soon if not they are bad seeds and I will have to buy some seedlings not that I want to mind you but just need too .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 01:38 PM

64,849 posts, read 47,194,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
oh my goodness I am a strict record keeper . I write it all down in a journal and keep the journal for like 5 yrs after writing the last page in it . a journal usually lasts me a year or better . I get that from my dad who was also a strict record keeper . nickman write it down is the best way . I put tomatoe seeds in pots up on my window garden in my pantry and hopefully they will pop up soon if not they are bad seeds and I will have to buy some seedlings not that I want to mind you but just need too .
lol. I have 2 jars a friend gave me last year with their own homemade sauce. I keep forgetting to bring it back but they don't remember..or so I believe. I know they are expensive and the labor involved so I'll be respectful and bring it back soon.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:30 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,136,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I am terrible at keeping a strict record of anything.. except my garden production. I really enjoy keeping tabs on what I grow. Otherwise, I am one of the worst. Also, especially with home-canned stuff, I often just give people stuff when they come by, so the thought of writing it down never occurs to me. It's not a big deal - jars really aren't that expensive and I have more than I will need for a very long time..

Old 03-30-2018, 04:31 PM

well put in the rest of my squash seeds today and the cucumbers went it today too and hopefully all of that will come up and I will get my tomatoe plants aka small tomatoe plants at the market next week . they sell good plants . I'm growing sumter cucumbers and straight neck yellow squash . I will have plenty of all of it and so much so I will probably share with the neighbors since none of them seem to grow anything including flowers . I am the neighborhood gardener just like you are nickman

Old 04-06-2018, 12:24 PM

Default April 6, 2018 Update!

Just doing a quick update today! I have a very busy schedule ahead and wanted to get something posted in the event it's a few weeks before my next one.

The weather has been relatively benign for the past week or two. We've had some moisture in the form of rain and snow, including today, but otherwise temperatures have been near normal (highs around 60F and lows around 30F). Today is snowing and in the 20s, but we should be in the upper 50s tomorrow and 60s and 70s through next week with lots of sun. Most of the next week will be above freezing so I expect my cool season greens to take off quite a bit. They're doing well now, but have been slow to grow because of cold nights in the mid-20s. I will harden off the onion seedlings over the next week and get them outside for good by next weekend.

The seedlings under the lights are doing very well. Older peppers have been topped and the younger ones will be topped in the next two weeks or so. Some of the micro tomatoes are getting a little too tall for my taste, so I have topped some of them as well. I may discard a few (now that I have good notes on their growth habits) and start new seedlings that will be smaller. I have started a few eggplant seeds, but may need to start them again because I may have either over-watered or not provided enough bottom heat for good germination. We'll see. Tomatoes will be started in about a week, maybe 10 days.

We are having the exterior of our house re-painted and our fence re-stained in the next few weeks, so everything is going to have to be pulled away from the house during that time. I may use this as an opportunity to rearrange the garden a bit and give it a fresh new look - haven't decided yet. I like the current layout, as it gets good sun and is efficient to maneuver through, but we'll see. I don't have tons of room to play with, so it'll probably go back where it was.

In addition to the veggie garden, I intend to have an incredible floral display in the front yard this year after taking a few years off. I hope to share that in this thread once we get it planted out. We have crammed upwards of 800 individual flowers in our various beds before - this year probably won't be that many, but it should be gorgeous. Stay tuned.

Seedlings and a few shots of the grow station as of 04/05/18 below. I'll start incorporating some outdoor shots as the weeks progress.
Attached Thumbnails
My 2018 Container Garden-img_0141.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0142.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0143.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0144.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0145.jpg  

My 2018 Container Garden-img_0146.jpg  

Old 04-07-2018, 08:15 AM

64,849 posts, read 47,194,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Seedlings and a few shots of the grow station as of 04/05/18 below. I'll start incorporating some outdoor shots as the weeks progress.
Nice. I noticed your soil is brownish in color. Don't remember if you mentioned what type you used. Sorry if you did. Do you put fertilizer in there or wait until you transplant first? Also, nice thick stems on the Tomatoes already

Old 04-07-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nice. I noticed your soil is brownish in color. Don't remember if you mentioned what type you used. Sorry if you did. Do you put fertilizer in there or wait until you transplant first? Also, nice thick stems on the Tomatoes already
I just use MG starting mix to get the seeds going and MG Moisture Control after that (same soil I use in 99% of my containers outdoors, as well). Minor amounts of granular ferts in both I believe. Lots of people don't like MG, but I have never had anything but great seedlings and it's what I choose to use. Plenty of wonderful other mixes out there I am sure. I am very careful about not giving the peppers, in particular, too much water. I try my best to avoid the surface getting wet at all if I can and just let them soak up enough water to keep the bottom 3/4 moist when I water. It also keeps me from ever having issues with fungus gnats. I get one occasionally, but having dry surface soil is a very successful practice for keeping most bug issues away.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:23 PM

well I got my tomatoes in the ground this past Saturday and more squash is coming up yeah !!!! and have three squash blooming already . my roses are blooming and my zinnias are popping up through the soil . next ones should be cukes popping up if not then the seeds were bad and wont bother with them . But we have been having a lot of rain so I'm hoping that will help . I did a through out spring clean inside my house and outside my house . yep been working all day so tomorrow I will have to find something to do LOL .

Old 04-08-2018, 03:50 PM

3,959 posts, read 5,240,973 times
I have two Earth boxes, new this season. I have two tomato plants in one and bush beans in the other. I haven't decided if I should buy more. I have no land - only a deck in back (north facing) and a small balcony in front (south facing.) On my balcony, I have lots of herbs: 2 kinds of mint, oregano, lemon grass, hot thai peppers (tiny but mighty) marjoram, and taragon. I also have a fern, several pots of succulents and a hanging spider plant, just to round out the scene. On the back deck, I have a raised planter with chives, parsley, sage, various lettuces and kale. Then I have pots with basil, rosemary, and thyme. I have a potted naval orange tree, two kumquat trees, a fig tree, and just planted in February, a black mulberry and black gooseberry bush/tree.

The north facing deck still does well with planting. In winter, there is virtually no direct sun. But as the sun rises higher in the sky, I start to get a strip of sun across the back of the deck in February. And as the house becomes a less and less effective shade-maker, by April, I have enough sunny area for all my plants to have a full day of sun. Everything except the raised bed is on wheels so that I can move things to the optimum sun as the seasons evolve. That helps, because when we have an occasional freezing night during the winter, I can scoot the tender plants under the overhang of my deck to protect them. So far, no frost damage.

I've been deck gardening for 2 years now, having moved from my home with a real yard. There are frustrations to not having land, but I am trying to develop something that satisfies my need to garden. My sisters and I were born with dirt in our blood.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:31 PM

3,425 posts, read 1,962,178 times
Gee Nickman,

I feel so...so..inadequate. compared to you.

We bought the house in fall 2015. It had one four quadrant raised bed in the back yard that they had attempted to grow any thing in, judging by the leftover plant markers. Didn't look to successful.

I NEED raided beds as I have a bad back, hip, and if the second opinion agrees, will have my r knee replaced come summer.

The raised beds aren't high enough though, and containers, still would not be high enough. I need the "standing tall " raised beds.

I only plant a smattering of stuff, a few tomatoes ( I call them tomb a toes), a few bell peppers, an eggplant or two, a few cukes, and yellow squash and zucchini. I'm anxious to see if the,asparagus I planted last year does a harvest this year or next?

I have herbs but tgey take care of themselves.

I also have a strawberry bed, grapes, red, black and purple raspberries, gogi berries and a cherry tree and two apple trees. Cherry bush and canteloupe.

Indoors I have a produceable banana plant ( they're not called tree s), an orange tree and I've started pineberry white "strawberries ".

Can you tell I like fruit as much as veggies?

Last year my corn didn't do so hot, so don't know if I'll try that again. Same with my onions, all I got was pearl sized onions instead of big juicy onions.

Since I'm having my knee replaced thus sumner or fall, I may let the garden go fallow. Hate doing that.

Other than gardening as a child for the family ( tomatoes bells peps, yellow and green squash) thus is my first foray into gardening on my own.

Now if I could just get my OH to help....especially since OH lives the produce I do manage to grow and the fruits if my fruit cantaloupe.
Ah well...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or