U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 11:25 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,140,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Love the weather update! How much precip have you had in past 4 weeks?
Thanks, Cam. I could talk about weather til I'm blue in the face. We've gotten a little less than an inch in the past 4 weeks and 2.16" since Jan 1. I have two (yes, two) weather stations I still need to set up outside (one is a really nice Davis Vantage something-or-other unit and the other is an Ambient WS-2902). I'll probably put the Davis near the house in the middle of the garden so I can monitor temps close to the house and the Ambient will be at the back of the yard as a more general station. The Ambient is newer and has a longer wireless range. I want to analyze the difference in temps at night, in particular, when factoring in radiational cooling and urban heat island. I also forgot I bought the Davis years ago, so now I have two. I am hopeful to get both onto Weather Underground or similar site once they're up and running. I worry I'll be COMPLETELY obsessed with checking the weather at my own house when I'm not there, though. I'd be checking it constantly.

Quote:
and wow you got tomatoes already??? You have a gift! I never get fruit to set inside. How can they within 6 weeks of starting the seeds? What are you feeding those things. lol
Yes, these are micro tomatoes (Hahms Gelbe). The plants are only about 8" tall and they don't get much taller even at full maturity (*maybe* as tall as a foot, but rarely). I only have them in 3" pots and the roots aren't even coming out the bottom yet. I start them in MG starting mix and transplant into MG Moisture Control. Nothing else has been given to them and I don't special feed them once they go outside, either. They're amazing little plants. When they start to flower, I just shake the plants every day with my hands (I don't run a fan) and they self-pollinate. Super simple.

If you are interested in some Hahms Gelbe seeds, I saved literally thousands of them last season and would love to share. They produce yellow/orange cherry tomatoes that are quite tart when grown indoors (unsurprisingly), but get VERY sweet and much more orange once outside. They go all summer long and are super prolific given their diminutive stature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 01:04 PM

65,040 posts, read 47,367,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Thanks, Cam. I could talk about weather til I'm blue in the face.
You should become a CoCoRaHS observer. I will send you a PM.

Quote:
Yes, these are micro tomatoes (Hahms Gelbe). The plants are only about 8" tall and they don't get much taller even at full maturity (*maybe* as tall as a foot, but rarely)..

8-12" at maturity? I think you mentioned them in the past and I still am amazed. Wow. I will do a search on them. Thanks for the offer!

Old 04-23-2018, 09:05 AM

13,121 posts, read 17,664,361 times
I love hams gelbes . they are cute and tart and just right for salads and snacking and I can attest to their niceness if you will . they are not hard to grow either . I love em .

Old 04-23-2018, 10:01 AM

4,211 posts, read 4,563,416 times
Can I use chelated iron for my indoor and outdoor container plants now?

Old 04-23-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Can I use chelated iron for my indoor and outdoor container plants now?
Good question, KayAnn, and to be honest I don't know enough about iron chelate to answer you. I've heard mention of it in the past, and based on some of the reviews online it looks like people like it, but I have never used it personally. I stick with all-purpose 10-10-10 synthetic fertilizers or organic fertilizers in the 5-5-5 range almost exclusively. I'm not much for experimenting with new ferts once I find what works for me. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" sort of thing..

If you want to post more information about it, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wouldn't mind the education.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I love hams gelbes . they are cute and tart and just right for salads and snacking and I can attest to their niceness if you will . they are not hard to grow either . I love em .
I got my original seeds from you, phone. I absolutely LOVE them. I collect seeds from several fruit each season so I am sure to never run out. That would be a very sad day indeed.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
You should become a CoCoRaHS observer. I will send you a PM.
I really should and THANK YOU for the message. I will respond as soon as I can.

Quote:
8-12" at maturity? I think you mentioned them in the past and I still am amazed. Wow. I will do a search on them. Thanks for the offer!
Yes, they stay extremely compact. They make outstanding container plants because you can squeeze a ton of them in a very small space. I'm not sure how they would do in-ground - I think they're much more appropriate for containers. As phone said, they are extremely easy to grow and as you can see from my prior photos, they produce readily and quickly under grow lights. Indoor fruit are understandably much more tart than those grown outdoors, but they're still plenty edible.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:49 PM

13,121 posts, read 17,664,361 times
Quote:
I got my original seeds from you, phone. I absolutely LOVE them. I collect seeds from several fruit each season so I am sure to never run out. That would be a very sad day indeed.
so is this 2nd and 3rd generation ones from the seeds I sent you ? if so feel free to send me some back . I ran out .

Old 04-23-2018, 06:24 PM

2,698 posts, read 1,774,631 times
Fi. Na. Leeee! We got kale, chard and collard seedlings. Most went in today, the rest tomorrow. Last year, we had all this planted by April 3rd, and when we went to the Big Store, we didn't see most of the plants we wanted. No poblanos, no plain chard, just the multicolor kind, and only one variety each of kale and collards.

I think it's time to start growing them ourselves. We'd better set a plan into motion.

Everyone else is making me jealous!

Old 04-29-2018, 07:15 AM

2,698 posts, read 1,774,631 times
And at last, our 'garden' is in...a month late, due to the wintry weather.

Four tomato varieties, two pots-o-lettuce, chard, kale and collards. Not seen: the three peppers we put in the following day: Cubanelle, Carmen, and some semi-hot variety I can't remember the name of and won't go check now because it's raining.

Zone 7a, for the curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or