U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 08:44 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,138,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
And at last, our 'garden' is in...a month late, due to the wintry weather.

Four tomato varieties, two pots-o-lettuce, chard, kale and collards. Not seen: the three peppers we put in the following day: Cubanelle, Carmen, and some semi-hot variety I can't remember the name of and won't go check now because it's raining.

Zone 7a, for the curious.
Non, your garden looks great!! I am looking forward to seeing everything produce for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 09:10 AM

Default Quick Update - Friday, May 04, 2018

I wanted to get this up today because I won't have time this weekend! It's just that time of year when every second of every weekend counts toward getting the garden all set for the season!

Our weather has been amazing. We haven't had a frost since my last update, though we've had several lows in the mid-upper 30s, and we just emerged from 3 days of light to moderate rain resulting in about 2" of precip for my immediate area. Highs have been cool, but mild, with mostly 60s. Today is supposed to be 70F with gorgeous sunshine and the next 7-10 days should be between 73F and 83F with lows in the 40s to lower 50s. There are a few hints that we could get some stronger thunderstorms in a few days, but that's the norm for May around here. Having a week of consistent temps, on the other hand, is rather unusual. Go figure. We should have massive green-up here over the next week or so which is typical for early-middle May. Every day gets greener and greener. Our sunrise/sunset as of today are 5:56am and 7:57pm, respectively. 14 hours of sun. I'll never complain. We will add slightly over one more hour by the summer solstice.

Because of the rain this week, the exterior painting of our house and re-staining of the fence had to be postponed 4 days, so I am hopeful they'll get the majority of the work done today and tomorrow. I assume they'll take Sunday off and maybe finish up by Monday. Because of this, my containers are all over the place in no kind of order, so nothing is really happening outside right now as far as organization, et al. I really need to get my head lettuces, kale and cabbage into the whiskey barrels, but I need to wait until they're in place to do so. I really dislike moving large containers around once they're planted. I will if I have to, of course. I also need to trellis my raspberry plants which have positively exploded in the last week.

Plans this weekend include starting some last-minute micro tomatoes from seed, as well as transplanting my tomato seedlings into 3" pots. They are doing exceptionally well and are right where I want them size-wise. I think they'll be just the right height once it's time to get them outside. I also plan to do some weed control, re-mulch the front yard flower beds (which I will begin including in my updates once it's ready to plant), start squash/cuke/melon seeds in trays outside, set up a new grill and play with my new Ego mower and trimmer!! I actually broke them both in last weekend and LOVE LOVE LOVE.. OMG.. KID > MEET CANDY STORE. CANDY STORE > MEET KID. EEEE!!! If I am ambitious enough I will also put up said raspberry trellis to get the plants away from the fence before the guys stain. If not, I'll deal with them later.

Below are some pics of the seedlings as of the evening of 05/03/18. Everything is doing really well, though I think a few pepper plants are getting a bit root-bound resulting in some leaf yellowing. They'll be outside soon enough and will recover just fine.

Hope all is well everywhere else! Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
My 2018 Container Garden-img_0216.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0217.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0218.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0219.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0220.jpg  

My 2018 Container Garden-img_0221.jpg  

Last edited by NickMan7; 05-04-2018 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-04-2018, 10:55 AM

13,104 posts, read 17,640,353 times
looks good and wow raspberrys I am impressed with that alone . that frog you like that you commented on is so old , that is one of the few things I have left from my grandmothers house when I went to help clean it out and she has been gone almost 30 yrs now .But all your plants look so healthy and hope it all grows wonderful for you .

Old 05-04-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
looks good and wow raspberrys I am impressed with that alone . that frog you like that you commented on is so old , that is one of the few things I have left from my grandmothers house when I went to help clean it out and she has been gone almost 30 yrs now .But all your plants look so healthy and hope it all grows wonderful for you .
Raspberries are probably one of the easiest things I've ever planted/grown. Back in 2016 I literally moved some landscape rocks out of the way, dug 10 holes (each 2' apart) in the hard clay, threw a little fertilizer and a bare root raspberry plant in each hole and watered in. Other than occasional watering and a light fertilization 2-3 times each season, I've done nothing of any substance. I haven't even pruned old wood yet because every cane has leafed out top to bottom each season, including this one. I may need to lightly prune some old wood here in a few weeks, but even that looks like it's pushed new growth over the past couple of days, so who knows. They're fantastic and easy! They *might* get 5 hours of sun a day and produce a ton of berries. I'll post some photos once they really get going.

I love frogs - we have several little frog yard ornaments out front nestled in our flower beds. We also usually get a bunch of real frogs (toads) in our yards after heavy spring rains and I just love them. They keep my bug population in check.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:24 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,129,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I had to free a squirrel one time out of my fence don't ask me how he got caught I don't know to this day but let me tell you he was screaming and squeeling like I was killing him and my gsd at the time wanted to eat him so bad LOL . I had to put on some gloves because I know their nails are huge and I finally got him free and you have never seen a squirrel run so fast in your life ungrateful little bugger did not even look back to thank me . LOL .

LOLOL I can just picture that!! LOLOL

Old 05-04-2018, 11:59 AM

Wow..........Just Wow!!! I stumbled upon this thread and Man........am I ever blown away!!! Nman, your plants are SO healthy it makes me want to cry. Seriously!! Your love of gardening is Awesome!! My spouse b--ches every spring about having to rototill my garden. Arghhhhhhh I do the rest, all the planting, weeding, harvesting, canning, etc. I absolutely love it because it is enjoyable, it is work but gives me a great workout, love being outside and love sharing with others. Besides the fact that I have fresh, organic food!! Spouse also b--ches because I have to water the garden. Seriously? Blah Blah Blah
LOLOL

All the rest of you posters rock as well. I am getting great ideas from all of you and I am so happy that you guys love gardening too!!

Here are a few pics of my garden from last year. I do not do container gardening because I have enough land to do a regular garden but someday when I move to Florida I will be doing container gardening to Thank You all for sharing your tips, etc.

Here is the Ghost Peppers my son wanted me to plant LOLOL Those suckers are Hot as Heck!!

Old 05-08-2018, 01:59 PM

WHOA, Cindy, that's some garden you have there - so lush and green!! And that pepper plant -

Please continue to join us in the forum and certainly feel free to start your own thread if you want everyone to follow along in your journey this season! It looks to me like your garden loves being in the ground - you must have very good soil there! We have decent soil, but I like the mobility of changing things up from year to year, though I rarely change too much. I do move some of the smaller containers around to take advantage of shade/cooler temps, etc.

Don't worry about your significant other - if garden is your passion, do it. Mine pretty much stays out of it because it's MY garden. Sometimes I ask for a little assistance with a few things, but otherwise it's MINE ALL MINE. He has his electronics and I have my tomatoes. Just the way it was intended. Haha.

What do you have planned this year? It looks like you have plenty of space to grow whatever you want!

Old 05-08-2018, 03:48 PM

Default Tuesday, May 08, 2018 Update!

Okay, so we're really starting to head into the spring season full throttle now. It only takes a few days this time of year to go from one extreme to the other as we all know. We have had highs above 70F for 5 straight days now, which is the first such stretch since last October. Yesterday and Sunday were both 80F, today and tomorrow should be in the low 80s (it's 76F at 3:45pm as I type this) and Thursday should be closer to 90F. Friday should still be in the low 80s and then a huge cool down this weekend with temps in the 50s and 60s with some rain showers. Back to 70s and sunshine next week. Lows through the period are well above 40F, so I think it's safe to say at this point that we are past our last frost.. still not gonna push it, though. Trees are leafing out very quickly for the most part. We don't usually see full leaf on everything until the end of May, so everything is right on track.

I finally got my tomato seedlings transplanted into 3" pots on Sunday, which is where they will live until they go into the garden in a few weeks (about 90 in total, though only about 40 will go into my garden). Otherwise, not much else has changed. The house is done being re-painted and the fence is re-stained. The Earthboxes have been put back into place. I still need to arrange my barrels and other containers - something I will work on during the course of this week as the evenings allow. I've been setting the manual sprinkler out for a little bit each day until we get our system charged. I should be able to get to that this weekend if weather permits. I am doing some massive flower shopping on Saturday, so I hope to get those planted on Sunday along with adding a new layer of mulch.

I normally wait to install my drip lines until my plants are in, but I think I'm going to save myself the stress of doing it post plant-out and try to get it done this coming weekend. The more I can get done ahead of time, the better. Hardening off and other projects take plenty of time and attention, so I want to minimize adding a bunch of other things to the list that week. I have strawberry beds to cover in shade cloth and I need to get the main garden re-covered as well. I use 3-4' t-posts and 6' poles to anchor the netting and all of it has to be re-installed - I had to take it all down for the re-paint since my garden is right against the house. That'll be a several hour job, so I'd like to take advantage of the cool weather coming this weekend to get it finished.

Let's see - what else? I got the yards fertilized, weeds pulled or sprayed and leaves cleared out of their hiding places. I still need to do some tree/bush pruning and pull/clip a bunch of saplings that are coming up in my raspberry patch from a neighbor's tree, but those are fun early-morning chores when the air is still crisp and clean. I don't mind doing those during plant-out week.

If anyone has suggestions for shade-loving or mostly shade-loving colorful annuals, please let me know. Our front porch faces due north and gets very little direct sun, but I want to incorporate lots of bright color where I can. I am planning right now on lots of petunias/supertunias, begonias, potato vine, pansies and a few grasses. Other ideas would be very welcome. I look forward to sharing my flower beds in the thread this year - I only have two, but they're so pretty when they're in full bloom and bursting with color.

Below are a few photos of the yard taken Sunday, along with the progression of the indoor seedlings. I need to get that windmill back upright (hard to see - center of 2nd photo below toward the back of the yard) - we had a nasty windstorm a few weeks ago (80mph+) and somehow it's still standing.

Happy Spring, everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
My 2018 Container Garden-img_0233.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0234.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0235.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0236.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0237.jpg  

My 2018 Container Garden-img_0238.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0239.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0240.jpg  

Old 05-09-2018, 07:49 AM

I thought I'd just post a couple photos of the view I see every morning on my way to work, assuming the weather is clear. This is just outside my neighborhood heading west - Boulder is nestled below the nearest foothills. Not the best photos because I was driving (BAD Nick!!!), but you get the gist. These were taken this morning (05/09/18).

Trees are leafing out nicely now and should be in full leaf in the next 2-3 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
My 2018 Container Garden-img_0244.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0245.jpg  

Old 05-09-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
I thought I'd just post a couple photos of the view I see every morning on my way to work, assuming the weather is clear. This is just outside my neighborhood heading west - Boulder is nestled below the nearest foothills. Not the best photos because I was driving (BAD Nick!!!), but you get the gist. These were taken this morning (05/09/18).

Trees are leafing out nicely now and should be in full leaf in the next 2-3 weeks.
Wow Nick, those pics are great!! And Yes, Bad Nick for taking pics while you drive. Silly man!

The mountains are So beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or