U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2018, 01:33 PM

2,240 posts, read 763,727 times

Advertisements

Last season I spent days digging up the flowerbed at the side of my house. It was all weeds and bulb plants, mostly tiger (ditch) lilies and completely overgrown. I spent hours on my knees on a piece of cardboard digging milkweed roots and bulbs, bulbs, and more bulbs. I had just moved into the house and wasn't sure what a lot of the bulbs were. I had some gladiolus, some daffodils of every variety, a couple of colors of canna lily, and I really don't even know what else. I saved some things I wanted and moved them elsewhere, shared with two friends in the next state, and still have bags and bags of bulbs - not to mention bulb plants coming up outside!!!!

The reason for digging them all up was that they were hiding, on the sunny south side of the house, rosebushes in lovely colors that were getting no sun. So I revealed the roses, all of which are doing well considering it's February. However, the bags of bulbs are sprouting! They're sprouting in my shed in newspaper in plastic bags and I have lots of them and don't know what they are or where to give them away. I'll have to figure something out or someone here will give me a great suggestion.

In the meantime, I have a plastic bag that spent the winter on the floor of my unheated porch and is sprouting green growth. The bulbs are very large and healthy and I don't want to plant them outdoors, but can I keep them in water or a dish or something in here? Please tell me what to do so they can bloom while I'm looking for homes for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 03:06 PM

4,497 posts, read 8,213,679 times
Lucky you! I love tiger lilies.

Keep them cool, dry, dark and not in a plastic bag to store them, else plant them in pots to let them grow and bloom.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:44 PM

2,240 posts, read 763,727 times
I see a lot forced in water - can i do that with any bulb? If I potted them all, I wouldn't have enough room in the house. I wanted something temporary.

BTW, plastic bags have holes in them and are not closed at the top. I wanted to store them, not kill them. I just never tried to get them to grow indoors.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:47 AM

15,248 posts, read 9,214,979 times
put them out by the road with a 'free' sign.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:30 AM

20,313 posts, read 24,342,415 times
You don't want them, see if there is a local garden club.

You can put them on craigslist or free cycle. I bought 200 purple iris bulbs from a lady that advertised them on Craigslist, 20 for a dollar, so gardeners will pay a small amount, even for mystery bulbs. Many gardeners will be able to tell what they are by looking at them.

Another suggestion would be to take them to the senior center with a "free" sign.

If you lived near me, I'd come and pick them up, but you must not be close by because I've still got a foot of snow, so no bulbs starting to grow here, yet.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:55 AM

204 posts, read 89,349 times
you could always plant them around town in various locations. you know, a bit of guerilla gardening
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden