U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 04:03 PM

5,800 posts, read 8,311,558 times

Advertisements

Is this the same thing? The nursery man told me to put gypsum in the hole before planting my new tree. But when I went to the Tractor store, the guy never heard of gypsum so I used the lime instead. Did I do wrong?
I since have found Gypsum at H D and wonder if I should spread it around the outside of the tree? What say you???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 05:28 PM

38,512 posts, read 44,503,644 times
Lime increases the pH of acidic soil (the lower the pH the more acidic the soil); in other words, soil acidity is reduced and alkalinity increased. it provides a source of calcium and magnesium for plants. it permits improved water penetration for acidic soils.

Gypsum is beneficial for breaking up compact soil, especially clay soil. It is useful in changing the soil structure of excessively heavy soils which have been impacted by heavy traffic.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:00 PM

2,059 posts, read 2,641,559 times
"Gypsum is beneficial for breaking up compact soil, especially clay soil" When the nurseryman said to put it in the hole, he was suggesting that you mix the gypsum with the soil mix that you use to fill the hole when planting your new tree. If your local soil is not heavy clay, don't worry about it....if it is heavy, replant with a gypsum mix. Heavy clay tends to drown new plantings by holding water, gypsum mixed in will allow water to drain faster. My rule of thumb is for a $5 tree, dig a $10 hole.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 03-06-2018, 04:19 PM

478 posts, read 1,642,642 times
My concern would be that you probably already have alkaline soil in Prescott (most drier areas have high soil pH), and the lime may have raised it to a problematic level.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:46 PM

5,814 posts, read 5,667,036 times
What kind of tree is it?

Old 03-08-2018, 12:16 AM

6,070 posts, read 6,891,265 times
How much lime did you use? The lime may have been a major mistake if it was more than a tiny amount. I would immediately take up the plant, remove the soil that was treated with more than a couple tablespoons of lime, and put in new soil that you mix with the undisturbed soil that currently surrounds the planting hole. Some forms of lime will immediately change the soil pH, some require time to become more alkaline. But since pH is one of the most important factors in plant survival, better correct the problem as soon as you can.

Spreading the gypsum around the top of the soil will have almost no effect. Apparently the idea was for it to help soil texture in the root zone but there are other products that work better. They are sold under the name soil conditioners and look like very tiny pieces of chipped bark that you mix into the soil in the planting hole.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:57 AM

5,800 posts, read 8,311,558 times
It's a Red Maple. I only put a little lime into the whole with compost material. Am watering every day.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:40 PM

5,814 posts, read 5,667,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post

It's a Red Maple. I only put a little lime into the whole with compost material. Am watering every day.
Red Maples need free draining acid soil, not alkaline soil. To be on the safe side I'd take it up and replant it with NO lime at all. The compost is a good addition and it will add some acidity. If you can find some gypsum mix that with the soil into the bottom of the hole and mix some in with the compost in the hole too to help make it more free draining. If you can't find gypsum then go to a garden center and get some other kind of ph neutral soil conditioner (as suggested by L4H) to add to the soil, that will help make it free draining. Alkaline soil is not good for them, it can cause them to produce yellow leaves and become chlorotic from iron and manganese deficiencies. If your soil is naturally compacted and not free draining then you need to ease up on the water too, Red Maples can easily get root rot if they are not planted in free draining soil. You also need to consider the ph of your water too - is it soft acid water or is it hard alkaline water? If it's hard alkaline water you will need to counteract that with acid soil.

Last edited by Zoisite; 03-08-2018 at 01:49 PM..

Old 03-12-2018, 06:32 PM

22,379 posts, read 21,404,969 times
Live or die by your soil pH and texture. The only things I've added to the soil, backfill, for a tree or large shrub is gypsum and/or expanded shale.

If you make their planting hole too nice, they'll never want to expand and look further. You can baby them for a while, but some day they'll be on their own.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:10 AM

2,440 posts, read 1,657,183 times
while it's not a sure thing, I would certainly heed the advice of the guy from the nursery over the guy from the tractor supply place for planting advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden