U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 05:48 PM

369 posts, read 150,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
So what is your plan for 2018? Any major changes?

Last fall I overseeded with Lesco Transition Blend, I was amazed with the quality of the seed. It tends to be a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for and never want to go with cheap seed...it is one of the best grass seed you can buy.

https://www.theplantingtree.com/prod...end-grass-seed

The Current mix is:
33.95% Falcon IV Tall Fescue
32.85% Tribute II Tall Fescue
32.76% Renegade DT Tall Fescue

I then did a top dressing of Orgro and the lawn literally looks better than golf course.

ORGRO HIGH ORGANIC COMPOST 1-1-0 Baltimore City Composting Facility

Managed to get my Dimension down weeks ago and waiting for the 2nd application at the end of May.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LESCO-50...2388/100121942
Is Lesco Transition Blend OK for Chicagoland, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 05:58 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,131,232 times
You will either one to rent an aerator machine or just hire someone to do it. Essentially you're going to punch holes into the soil. This will allow for a better take up of nutrients and get air into the soil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
My lawn looks not good. I decided to follow your schedule, as it looks reasonable.
I think I can start aerate and seed at this time of the year.
What is "aerate", by the way? Do I need any equipment for that?

Old 09-03-2018, 05:45 AM

First week of September and temps still in the 90s...time to plan your fall lawn schedule.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:25 AM

4,743 posts, read 8,439,376 times
Well, my Fall lawn schedule comprises activities to prepare for Spring (warm season bermuda grass); I plan to weed by hand for about a month (mostly crabgrass), then apply pre-emerge to last the Fall / Winter, after the pre-emerge gets applied I won't pull weeds but will instead spot spray any that pop up.

Since bermuda grass goes dormant in the Fall / Winter, my practice is to spray anything green in the lawn. Note that one can apply Round Up to weeds in a dormant lawn without killing the dormant grass.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:27 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,550,003 times
I have admittedly not really focused on my lawn this season very much. But, happy to say that it hasn't needed me that much either. I do have some crabgrass spots to hit, but not a big deal. My mulch beds need some help, but quite frankly it's just been too damn hot! I didn't even put fresh mulch out this year. Might do it after fall cleanup though. We have a bunch of crepe myrtles and river birch trees, both very pretty but both VERY messy as well. So, not feeling too bad about applying the $1,000 towards my indoor renovations this season instead.

But, one thing I was focused on was keeping it all healthy. I put down a ton of that Bayer Feed & Protect earlier in the springtime. Every tree, every shrub, every bush, got some. Happy to report the trees and whatnots have thrived like crazy this year! We have about 10 yellow "mop top" bushes we put in last year via 3 gallon containers. This year, man they have grown like crazy! Probably a solid 8 inches taller this year so far alone. Same for everything else. Boxwoods, which are very slow growers.....growing like mad now. I also think some of this growth has to do with not putting down the 2 inches of black mulch this year and letting the root stems have some exposed soil around them. Not burying them. Everything in my mulch beds (other than trees) is pretty juvenile, planted within the past 2 years from 1/3/5 gallon containers. So I think they all needed a breather year. I did pull back a few inches from a couple of trees to get the top of the root ball exposed, which has apparently helped a good bit as some of my trees were installed 3 years ago at heights of 14 feet, so they settled into the ground a little bit.

I also used the Caravan G in the spring, and one dose of Ringer fertilizer. That's it. We've been super hot/humid/wet this summer, fungus and disease has been bad. But, with the exception of just one area next to our driveway where rainwater flows over, we've not had any problems with disease, fungus or bugs. I am about to apply Caravan G again in a few days that should carry the lawn to next April. Have a couple of neighbors who have been hit bad recently by "take-all" fungus and bugs. They've spent hundreds on their landscape companies to fight it with marginal results. They're tossing in the towel and going with the Caravan G as well when I do it. They've not seen me outside this summer working on the lawn like years past, not even mowing it myself anymore, yet I don't have those problems. So, they've asked what my secret sauce is, and as an exchange for me applying it to their lawn when I do, they're going to buy mine for me ($130)!

I will aerate this year and overseed. Will likely cover it all with the soybean meal as well to feed it and jumpstart the new seed germination before it gets cold. But that's really about it.

Next year....I'm back in the lawn. This year has been all about refinishing hardwood flooring inside.

Last edited by NC211; 09-05-2018 at 11:40 AM..

Old 09-05-2018, 11:57 AM

NC211 = "I did pull back a few inches from a couple of trees to get the top of the root ball exposed..."

You probably gained another 50% lifespan from those trees. So many trees, including those planted by 'professionals', are planted too deep. One should always be able to see the 'top root' of trees and shrubs. It's a shame to see trees planted so deeply, especially on public land, as the tree may only live 8 - 10 years. Those costs add up in a city budget that's usually pretty tight.

It's also very important to let the roots breathe (as you seem to have done).

Old 09-13-2018, 07:04 PM

Yes the Bayer Advanced and Protect is an amazing product.

Lawn care of this year has been nothing short of amazing.

My lawn right now looks like it does typically in late March early April.

Still planning to airy next week but not a single bare spot weed or any sign that itís September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I have admittedly not really focused on my lawn this season very much. But, happy to say that it hasn't needed me that much either. I do have some crabgrass spots to hit, but not a big deal. My mulch beds need some help, but quite frankly it's just been too damn hot! I didn't even put fresh mulch out this year. Might do it after fall cleanup though. We have a bunch of crepe myrtles and river birch trees, both very pretty but both VERY messy as well. So, not feeling too bad about applying the $1,000 towards my indoor renovations this season instead.

But, one thing I was focused on was keeping it all healthy. I put down a ton of that Bayer Feed & Protect earlier in the springtime. Every tree, every shrub, every bush, got some. Happy to report the trees and whatnots have thrived like crazy this year! We have about 10 yellow "mop top" bushes we put in last year via 3 gallon containers. This year, man they have grown like crazy! Probably a solid 8 inches taller this year so far alone. Same for everything else. Boxwoods, which are very slow growers.....growing like mad now. I also think some of this growth has to do with not putting down the 2 inches of black mulch this year and letting the root stems have some exposed soil around them. Not burying them. Everything in my mulch beds (other than trees) is pretty juvenile, planted within the past 2 years from 1/3/5 gallon containers. So I think they all needed a breather year. I did pull back a few inches from a couple of trees to get the top of the root ball exposed, which has apparently helped a good bit as some of my trees were installed 3 years ago at heights of 14 feet, so they settled into the ground a little bit.

I also used the Caravan G in the spring, and one dose of Ringer fertilizer. That's it. We've been super hot/humid/wet this summer, fungus and disease has been bad. But, with the exception of just one area next to our driveway where rainwater flows over, we've not had any problems with disease, fungus or bugs. I am about to apply Caravan G again in a few days that should carry the lawn to next April. Have a couple of neighbors who have been hit bad recently by "take-all" fungus and bugs. They've spent hundreds on their landscape companies to fight it with marginal results. They're tossing in the towel and going with the Caravan G as well when I do it. They've not seen me outside this summer working on the lawn like years past, not even mowing it myself anymore, yet I don't have those problems. So, they've asked what my secret sauce is, and as an exchange for me applying it to their lawn when I do, they're going to buy mine for me ($130)!

I will aerate this year and overseed. Will likely cover it all with the soybean meal as well to feed it and jumpstart the new seed germination before it gets cold. But that's really about it.

Next year....I'm back in the lawn. This year has been all about refinishing hardwood flooring inside.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:30 PM

2,032 posts, read 913,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
You will either one to rent an aerator machine or just hire someone to do it. Essentially you're going to punch holes into the soil. This will allow for a better take up of nutrients and get air into the soil.
I've rented an aerator a few times, in my younger years, to overseed fescue in the fall, and they're like wrestling a buffalo. A few years ago, my neighbor and I went in together to share the cost. The one we got didn't stop turning when you released the "go" button. After a couple of times running into a flower bed, I finally got the hang of it. When it was my neighbor's turn, I glanced over once and the darn thing was trying to climb a tree!

I've hired someone to do it since then ....

Old 09-17-2018, 07:20 AM

8,716 posts, read 8,919,801 times
Fall overseeding went off successfully.

Last weekend I aerated, mowed short and spread 3 bags of seed over 12000sf. Also dumped some milorganite. We had some good rain mixed with HEAVY dew this time of year and as a result many of the new seeds have already sprouted and are 2" long already.

Grass is turning a nice dark green and starting to fill in. Love just standing on the deck and admiring what this yard looks like now vs 3 years ago when I first moved in. There was no grass..just moss and weeds.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:20 AM

Yeah Mike, that's the payoff ^^^. My morning routine includes admiring my lawn too. I also plant shrubs / trees / flowers so that each window has a pleasant view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or