U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 03:48 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,978,570 times

Advertisements

The weekend is here and a great time to be in the lawn.

Remember to avoid any synthetic fertilizer in the spring.

Spot treat weeds as needed and cut high.

For spot treating weeds here is my top pick.

Gordon Speed Zone Weed Control
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 05:15 AM

62,795 posts, read 45,182,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I also need to plant some grass seed this fall in high traffic areas such as around my kids swingset. The grass is holding, but I can tell it gets pretty beaten up there.

Any plans on what kind you're throwing down there?

Ryegrass can tolerate heavy foot traffic, but does not tolerate extreme cold or drought conditions.

Fescues (both tall and fine) are often found in mixes due to their tolerance of shade, foot traffic, cold and drought.

Kentucky bluegrass will form the nicest lawn, but it has a very low shade tolerance.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:53 AM

So what is your plan for 2018? Any major changes?

Last fall I overseeded with Lesco Transition Blend, I was amazed with the quality of the seed. It tends to be a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for and never want to go with cheap seed...it is one of the best grass seed you can buy.

https://www.theplantingtree.com/prod...end-grass-seed

The Current mix is:
33.95% Falcon IV Tall Fescue
32.85% Tribute II Tall Fescue
32.76% Renegade DT Tall Fescue

I then did a top dressing of Orgro and the lawn literally looks better than golf course.

ORGRO HIGH ORGANIC COMPOST 1-1-0 Baltimore City Composting Facility

Managed to get my Dimension down weeks ago and waiting for the 2nd application at the end of May.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LESCO-50...2388/100121942

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Alright Movin, looks like we're back for another season! I am going to try to get mine back to where it was last year before the "incident of stupidity". So far I have done nothing, and it's actually looking pretty good in the front, but the back, oh the back, it's so pitiful. Have lots of work to do...
Attached Thumbnails
2018 Ultimate Lawn Care Program-aae85229-3858-4215-b3de-79a03fc139c3.jpeg   2018 Ultimate Lawn Care Program-995359c6-9be4-4cc5-bf24-e8caa9e24404.jpeg  

Last edited by movin2Reston; 04-21-2018 at 05:11 AM..

Old 04-21-2018, 02:06 PM

4,489 posts, read 8,203,124 times
I finished reseeding my front yard (soon to be called a lawn) with warm season Bermuda grass (perfect for my zone 7b southern area). Now comes the patience... and water... I've got maybe a few dozen weeds in the entire front yard - the rest is grass. In about a month I expect a lush green lawn - perfect for little toes. I think that around the Fourth of July I'll apply some poo from the good people of Milwaukee (milorganite) to (ahem) freshen up the grass for the holiday. I know that more fertilizer (and more often) is recommended, but I think this should be fine.

I'm still knocking back the weeds in my back yard and expect to reseed it next year. The process is: pre-emergent applied in the fall, then in the spring - prepare the area by raking, fertilize, seed (warm season grasses should be sown in the spring), topdress with manure / soil, water intensely for the first week or so, then mow. I use a mulching mower so no need to bag (I've already paid for those clippings and it's 'free' fertilizer).

Old 04-22-2018, 11:09 AM

Sounds like a good process you have in place there...I am looking to top dress with Orgro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
I finished reseeding my front yard (soon to be called a lawn) with warm season Bermuda grass (perfect for my zone 7b southern area). Now comes the patience... and water... I've got maybe a few dozen weeds in the entire front yard - the rest is grass. In about a month I expect a lush green lawn - perfect for little toes. I think that around the Fourth of July I'll apply some poo from the good people of Milwaukee (milorganite) to (ahem) freshen up the grass for the holiday. I know that more fertilizer (and more often) is recommended, but I think this should be fine.

I'm still knocking back the weeds in my back yard and expect to reseed it next year. The process is: pre-emergent applied in the fall, then in the spring - prepare the area by raking, fertilize, seed (warm season grasses should be sown in the spring), topdress with manure / soil, water intensely for the first week or so, then mow. I use a mulching mower so no need to bag (I've already paid for those clippings and it's 'free' fertilizer).

Old 04-25-2018, 06:03 PM

Lawn is looking amazing with so many compliments from people passing by.

Hope you are enjoying the same type of Feedback on your lawn.

Remember to not be tempted to add synthetic fertilizer this time of the year.

Going into the month of May begin cutting high for the season.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:55 PM

1,622 posts, read 1,398,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
So what is your plan for 2018? Any major changes?

A few minor tweaks this year for the grass, but not hitting it as heavy as last year. Went back to the granular route for pesticide and fungicide via Caravan G by Syngenta, which is absolutely hands down the best I have ever seen to wipe out the bad bugs/grubs and fungus and keep it all at bay for 3 months. Not cheap at $55/30lb bag at Southern States, but has been well worth it for me. I messed up the lawn last year with spraying pesticide and fungicide. Not willing to risk it this year. The damage has passed and grassy areas are coming back now that those chemicals have faded away. Over did it last year.

I've put down one 50lb bag of premium tall fescue from S. States, two bags of Caravan G, three bags of Ringer Lawn Restore, and a gallon of the Quantum Growth Total that I used last year as well. Did that all last weekend. The lawn is certainly awake now, and that Quantum Growth microbial inoculant is some insanely amazing stuff, especially on shrubs, flowers and the lawn. But that's about all I'm going to do (and of course keep the weeds and crabgrass at bay) this year for the grass.

I'm more focused on the trees, shrubs, and finding flowers that the deer won't mow down in 24 hours. We've hired a lady that was recommended to us by our neighborhood's landscape company to come and spray deer repellent every couple of weeks. Seems to be working pretty well! So, we're loading up on Sun Patens flowers and have spent a pretty penny thus far on Bayer Tree/Shrub Feed & Protect, and Holly Tone for all of our evergreens, laurels, etc. We've added two new weeping cherry trees, and three baby blue-eye spruce trees to the lawn this year. I counted the other night, we have 40 trees, and nearly 40 shurbs in our yard now. Looks good, but we have some work to do on a couple of spots to get things arranged correctly. That's going to be our focus this year while maintaining the grass. In the fall, I'll aerate and over-seed super heavy for next year.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:20 PM

How much does a 30lb bag of Caravan G cover?

I must say, your approach is quite impressive!

Quote:
A few minor tweaks this year for the grass, but not hitting it as heavy as last year. Went back to the granular route for pesticide and fungicide via Caravan G by Syngenta, which is absolutely hands down the best I have ever seen to wipe out the bad bugs/grubs and fungus and keep it all at bay for 3 months. Not cheap at $55/30lb bag at Southern States, but has been well worth it for me. I messed up the lawn last year with spraying pesticide and fungicide. Not willing to risk it this year. The damage has passed and grassy areas are coming back now that those chemicals have faded away. Over did it last year.

I've put down one 50lb bag of premium tall fescue from S. States, two bags of Caravan G, three bags of Ringer Lawn Restore, and a gallon of the Quantum Growth Total that I used last year as well. Did that all last weekend. The lawn is certainly awake now, and that Quantum Growth microbial inoculant is some insanely amazing stuff, especially on shrubs, flowers and the lawn. But that's about all I'm going to do (and of course keep the weeds and crabgrass at bay) this year for the grass.

I'm more focused on the trees, shrubs, and finding flowers that the deer won't mow down in 24 hours. We've hired a lady that was recommended to us by our neighborhood's landscape company to come and spray deer repellent every couple of weeks. Seems to be working pretty well! So, we're loading up on Sun Patens flowers and have spent a pretty penny thus far on Bayer Tree/Shrub Feed & Protect, and Holly Tone for all of our evergreens, laurels, etc. We've added two new weeping cherry trees, and three baby blue-eye spruce trees to the lawn this year. I counted the other night, we have 40 trees, and nearly 40 shurbs in our yard now. Looks good, but we have some work to do on a couple of spots to get things arranged correctly. That's going to be our focus this year while maintaining the grass. In the fall, I'll aerate and over-seed super heavy for next year.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:33 AM

1,622 posts, read 1,398,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
How much does a 30lb bag of Caravan G cover?

I must say, your approach is quite impressive!
Ha! Thanks amigo! It covers roughly 5,000 square feet. I have a Scotts Edge spreader, nothing special, and run it at the #4 opening setting. My lawn space is just shy of 10,000 SF , so it takes me two bags to get a good coverage. Our neighborhood doesn't have sidewalks. Our lawns go right to the street. I'm at the low side of a 3 houses (ours being one of them). When it rains, I get their runoff down the side and front of my lawn (corner lot) as it heads to a large drain hidden in the front corner of my lawn. If one of them has a fungus or a disease issue in their front yards, I end up getting it eventually too. Thankfully they're good neighbors and take care of their lawns too, but sometimes it just happens. This Caravan G (and sister Heritage G just for fungus) is the best stuff I've ever used to stop and prevent this from happening.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:47 PM

Just goes to show it doesn’t take much, but have a simple plan and you can have an awesome lawn.

Quote:
Ha! Thanks amigo! It covers roughly 5,000 square feet. I have a Scotts Edge spreader, nothing special, and run it at the #4 opening setting. My lawn space is just shy of 10,000 SF , so it takes me two bags to get a good coverage. Our neighborhood doesn't have sidewalks. Our lawns go right to the street. I'm at the low side of a 3 houses (ours being one of them). When it rains, I get their runoff down the side and front of my lawn (corner lot) as it heads to a large drain hidden in the front corner of my lawn. If one of them has a fungus or a disease issue in their front yards, I end up getting it eventually too. Thankfully they're good neighbors and take care of their lawns too, but sometimes it just happens. This Caravan G (and sister Heritage G just for fungus) is the best stuff I've ever used to stop and prevent this from happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or