U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 07:17 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,391,128 times

Advertisements

Reston - Iím gonna give Lesco a spin, as it comes with a great recommendation from a guy I trust!

What do you think for this time of year? The 24-0-11?

Had to hit the yard with Eagle 20EW this week for fungus from all of the rain, and I strongly suspect from the deck of the landscape crew that mowed it for me last Wednesday the 16th. I canít do it when itís wet. Fungus is subsiding now and ready to bring in the deep green! Donít want to pony up the money on the alfalfa and soybean, and neighbors I suspect are getting a little tired of me stinking up the place (that Eagle stuff is STRONG and STINKS!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 02:04 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,965,652 times
Great to hear. I would hold off on that until August...Avoid nitrogen between now and then.

Just put down my Bayer Advanced Season Long Grub Control PlusTurf Revitalizer.

For fungus, I started back in early May and went with Scottís Disease Ex...so far it is doing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Reston - Iím gonna give Lesco a spin, as it comes with a great recommendation from a guy I trust!

Had to hit the yard with Eagle 20EW this week for fungus from all of the rain, and I strongly suspect from the deck of the landscape crew that mowed it for me last Wednesday the 16th. I canít do it when itís wet. Fungus is subsiding now and ready to bring in the deep green! Donít want to pony up the money on the alfalfa and soybean, and neighbors I suspect are getting a little tired of me stinking up the place (that Eagle stuff is STRONG and STINKS!).

Old 06-11-2018, 08:03 PM

Did you end up going with Lesco?

Quote:

Old 06-13-2018, 03:15 PM

Summertime lawn care...

https://youtu.be/meAeLJUvnu8

Old 06-14-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Did you end up going with Lesco?
I did end up putting it down a few weeks ago. All has been fine so far, grass is dark green (not ironite green, but pretty green). Chased the fungus out with the Eagle as well. Took two applications over a 1 week period to fix a couple of stubborn spots. So much rain!

Last week I mowed after work. Came to the conclusion that I am tired of mowing. I've parked the mower for the rest of the year and hired the neighborhood landscape guys to take it over. Takes me nearly 2 hours to do the lawn, whereby it takes them 20 minutes, even bagging it. Grew tired of it, and got tired of being the noisy guy when it was peaceful and quiet otherwise.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:09 PM

Great to hear. Do you know which specific product of theirs you used?

Definitely one of the worst seasons of fungus weíve had in a long time .

I know exactly what you mean about cutting your own grass. Several years ago I did the same thing as someone comes into our neighborhood and cuts about four or five of the houses. For the time and money itís just not worth it doing it yourself.

Quote:
I did end up putting it down a few weeks ago. All has been fine so far, grass is dark green (not ironite green, but pretty green). Chased the fungus out with the Eagle as well. Took two applications over a 1 week period to fix a couple of stubborn spots. So much rain!

Last week I mowed after work. Came to the conclusion that I am tired of mowing. I've parked the mower for the rest of the year and hired the neighborhood landscape guys to take it over. Takes me nearly 2 hours to do the lawn, whereby it takes them 20 minutes, even bagging it. Grew tired of it, and got tired of being the noisy guy when it was peaceful and quiet otherwise.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:27 AM

It was the 24-0-11 mix at home depot (50lb bag). Has been holding up pretty well, a slow release. No burning seen, covered approximately 10,000 SF of turf with it. Pretty happy!

I will say though, as I've tried a few fertilizers this year - still nothing seems to set off my lawn like the alfalfa and soybean meals like in years past. I tried that Safer Brand in the spring, and when putting it down I noticed one of the main ingredients was alfalfa. But, it didn't stink up the place either like soybean will do for a few days.

I wish they'd cut a little lower, but with their large decks they can't get too low without scalping some areas of the yard. With my home quality Toro and it's narrower deck, I can get it lower and it looks better. But not better enough to justify me doing it anymore! Ha!

Old Today, 05:08 AM

Thatís a great product. Probably will use something like that in August.

can you elaborate on alfalfa and soybean meal...how you use it, benefits, cost vs. Lesco, etc.

Quote:
It was the 24-0-11 mix at home depot (50lb bag). Has been holding up pretty well, a slow release. No burning seen, covered approximately 10,000 SF of turf with it. Pretty happy!

I will say though, as I've tried a few fertilizers this year - still nothing seems to set off my lawn like the alfalfa and soybean meals like in years past. I tried that Safer Brand in the spring, and when putting it down I noticed one of the main ingredients was alfalfa. But, it didn't stink up the place either like soybean will do for a few days.

I wish they'd cut a little lower, but with their large decks they can't get too low without scalping some areas of the yard. With my home quality Toro and it's narrower deck, I can get it lower and it looks better. But not better enough to justify me doing it anymore! Ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or