U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 03:48 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,741,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Given the time of year in all the rain we had up until recently my guess would be fungus. How do you treat it with any fungus control up to this point?
First, Spectracide Immunox. One application in May.

Then, Bayer Advanced Fungus Control. Three applications in June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 09:04 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,940,957 times
Ugh. I've got brown patch all over my lush Bermuda. So does every nieghbor. The high humidity/dew point is keeping the fungus around.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:11 AM

1,819 posts, read 1,551,058 times
Eagle 20EW. Google it, Amazon it, Buy it. Stuff is strong, stinks, but works like a champ! Get a $2 hand spray bottle from Home Depot or the like, know your measurements to mix it, and spot treat that way if you want.

If you're against the whole chemical approach - Neem Oil works well too. Not as well as Eagle, but does a pretty decent job (in my experience). It's basically pine tree oil. I think Bonicide (sp?) sells it, and likely can be found in your nearest nursery.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:17 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,940,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Eagle 20EW. Google it, Amazon it, Buy it. Stuff is strong, stinks, but works like a champ! Get a $2 hand spray bottle from Home Depot or the like, know your measurements to mix it, and spot treat that way if you want.

If you're against the whole chemical approach - Neem Oil works well too. Not as well as Eagle, but does a pretty decent job (in my experience). It's basically pine tree oil. I think Bonicide (sp?) sells it, and likely can be found in your nearest nursery.
I'll give that neem oil a shot. I put more fertilizer down which helped a little.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:14 PM

1,819 posts, read 1,551,058 times
You don't want to put down nitrogen right now if it's hot where you are (say, ironite and the like). Can burn it up in this heat. If you want to feed the lawn organically right now, I'd say soybean meal, as it's loaded with fats and proteins that lawns love, and very little nitrogen. But be warned, it stinks like hot garbage after a couple of days for a day or two.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:44 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,132,415 times
Actually having better results this season with Scott’s Disease EX over Bayer Advanced Fungus Control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
First, Spectracide Immunox. One application in May.

Then, Bayer Advanced Fungus Control. Three applications in June.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:45 PM

What kind of fertilizer did you put down in mid July?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
I'll give that neem oil a shot. I put more fertilizer down which helped a little.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:32 PM

273 posts, read 352,020 times
Holy drought, Batman. Hasn't rain in a couple of weeks, my front lawn is in dormancy even with once a week soaking from the sprinklers. Don't even have to cut this week. Still looking nicer than my neighbors though

I just realized that I've had maybe one patch of crabgrass sprouted this year, easily handled with a few spray from Ortho and/or the old hand pulling. And that's with only a March pre-emergent down, in the previous years I've had to drop pre-emergent in June as well. So the lawn is definitely mostly taking care of itself! Hoping that next year it'll be even less work!

Old 07-16-2018, 01:15 PM

Problem is people’s lawns are typically not getting sufficient water in the summer so the may be turning brown and they then think it needs fertilizer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
You don't want to put down nitrogen right now if it's hot where you are (say, ironite and the like). Can burn it up in this heat. If you want to feed the lawn organically right now, I'd say soybean meal, as it's loaded with fats and proteins that lawns love, and very little nitrogen. But be warned, it stinks like hot garbage after a couple of days for a day or two.

Last edited by movin2Reston; 07-16-2018 at 02:40 PM..

Old 07-22-2018, 05:32 AM

Getting inches and inches of rain here the past couple of days.

Was too wet in the early spring, then went through a dry spell, now back to 5-7 days of rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
Holy drought, Batman. Hasn't rain in a couple of weeks, my front lawn is in dormancy even with once a week soaking from the sprinklers. Don't even have to cut this week. Still looking nicer than my neighbors though

I just realized that I've had maybe one patch of crabgrass sprouted this year, easily handled with a few spray from Ortho and/or the old hand pulling. And that's with only a March pre-emergent down, in the previous years I've had to drop pre-emergent in June as well. So the lawn is definitely mostly taking care of itself! Hoping that next year it'll be even less work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or