U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 06:29 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,935,011 times

Advertisements

Many have asked me, how does your lawn look so good, so itís that time of year to start getting ready...

My overall cool season lawn care program looks like this:

- Crabgrass preventer in the spring (Lesco Dimension with no fertilizer). Crabgrass typically germinates when soil temperatures reach 62 degrees Fahrenheit at a depth of 1 or 2 inches. Crabgrass preventer should be applied when soil temperatures reach 50 to 55 degrees Fahrenheit. Great website to track the soil temperature in your area: Soil Temperature Maps | GreenCast | Syngenta

- Fertilize with Milorganite (organic approach to feed the soil as synthetic only feeds the plant) or apply spring application of Orgo (1/2 -3/4Ē).

- 1" of rain per week (all the same time instead of spread out over several days).

- Spot treat weeds as needed (hand spray). (Gordonís Speed Zone lawn weed killer)

- Late June for grub control and various insects, apply Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer Granules.

- Cut tall fescue grasses 3-4" in height during the late spring/summer/early fall.

- Aerate in early fall and seed/starter fertilizer as needed. (never try to seed in the spring)

- Make the most fertilizer applications in the fall.

For my roses bushes and flowering perennials, I apply Epson salt and Jobes Organic Rose and Flower Fertilizer.

For insect control, from all my experience, Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 Insect Disease and Mite Control Concentrate, 32-Ounces the one to get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 05:26 PM

So we are off to an interesting start, last week I just cut the grass, mulched, and started getting the beds ready and now tonight expecting 8 to 12 inches of snow

We will give the weather a couple days to calm down as late next week things are supposed to be back in the upper 50s and 60s.

Meanwhile my grass is wondering what the heck is going on this first day of spring.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:16 PM

Thank goodness the snow is finally gone. Looks like later this week, temperatures are finally going to be spring like, hiwever keep in mind that soil temperatures will still be cooler.

Mid-Atlantic area this weekend is now our deal for getting down your crabgrass preventer.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:39 AM

1,357 posts, read 2,660,408 times
What is the reason for not seeding during the spring season? With the cool weather and usually abundant rainfall, I would think spring is the perfect time to seed the lawn.

I imagine the alternative to is buy sod for those of us who don't want to wait for the fall season to seed.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:44 AM

Seeding in spring will never survive summer as a root system will never establish.

Sod in the spring or seed/sod in the early fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
What is the reason for not seeding during the spring season? With the cool weather and usually abundant rainfall, I would think spring is the perfect time to seed the lawn.

I imagine the alternative to is buy sod for those of us who don't want to wait for the fall season to seed.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:46 PM

8,133 posts, read 8,088,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Seeding in spring will never survive summer as a root system will never establish.

Not to mention the application of crabgrass preventer will conflict with spreading seed as the new seed will not germinate.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:43 PM

4,435 posts, read 8,155,358 times
My 2018 lawn care program began late last fall with an application of pre-emergent and herbicide (IIRC Spectracide granules - the guy at Big Orange had a few damaged bags that he gave me for FREE!).

I'm in Alabama in hardiness zone 7B and our frost-free date is usually about April 15. It seems from the long range weather forecast that Thursday night will be the last frost, so this weekend is lawn care time.

I have a warm season Bermuda grass lawn, as opposed to cool season fescue - to which I believe reston was referring. Spring is a great time to seed Bermuda grass. As Mike mentioned, deconflicting the seed and pre-emergent is important.

My process this year is pre-emerge in the fall, spot herbicide treatment until now, use a garden (metal) rake to roughen the soil, mow the lawn tomorrow or Friday, apply fertilizer on Saturday (expecting rain Sat. night), seeding on Saturday, followed by top dressing with manure/soil mix Sunday. Then I'll water everyday that April doesn't shower.

In about two months I expect to have a lawn in which the neighborhood children will be taking off their shoes and wiggling their toes.

Whew, I'm already tired; I need a cold adult beverage...

Old 04-04-2018, 04:31 PM

29 posts, read 67,515 times
So I put down my pre-emergent with fertilizer (Scotts) on Saturday. Just my luck, first rain since was a gully-washer yesterday. Got over 3 inches of rain from 6am to 6pm. When I put it down Saturday, weather forecast was for a half inch of rain yesterday which would have been perfect to water it in; of course the weatherman is right about as often as a broken clock.

So...was that all for naught? I'm guessing any areas we had standing water or considerable surface water runoff, washed off most of the product? Not only a waste of money but also bad for environment having that pushed to storm sewer. And seems for areas that didn't flood, that amount of rain may have caused product to prematurely leech out? Anyone with any background in this and thoughts on effectiveness of application at this point?

Old 04-04-2018, 04:57 PM

Most pre-emergents, such as balan, dimension, gallery, etc last at least 90-120 days, and if put out properly will prevent any seed from germinating in the soil.

Now there is Tupersan which is a Crabgrass Preventer that can be put down at the time of seeding, but honestly it is just not worth it.

Go with sodding if you must in the springtime otherwise wait for optimal conditions in the fall in late August for seeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Not to mention the application of crabgrass preventer will conflict with spreading seed as the new seed will not germinate.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:59 PM

Not sure exactly where you're located but here in transition zones having cool season grasses I would avoid any spring fertilizer and uses of two-in-one products.

Any areas that washed I would reapply a pure pre-emergent. If fertilizer is needed I would go with early May on a super slow release version. Otherwise you're just looking for problems come summertime and fungus issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellmabt View Post
So I put down my pre-emergent with fertilizer (Scotts) on Saturday. Just my luck, first rain since was a gully-washer yesterday. Got over 3 inches of rain from 6am to 6pm. When I put it down Saturday, weather forecast was for a half inch of rain yesterday which would have been perfect to water it in; of course the weatherman is right about as often as a broken clock.

So...was that all for naught? I'm guessing any areas we had standing water or considerable surface water runoff, washed off most of the product? Not only a waste of money but also bad for environment having that pushed to storm sewer. And seems for areas that didn't flood, that amount of rain may have caused product to prematurely leech out? Anyone with any background in this and thoughts on effectiveness of application at this point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or