Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:35 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times

Advertisements

Thanks molemasters for your input. We have tried it all through the years but the little pest seem to like our country yard. We get some success then boom they are back and seem to be immune to whatever the last thing we tried. Even digging around the 'pitch fork' traps our county extension officer said is fool proof.

The biggest problem is under a big old blue spruce tree is there a reason for that please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 09:38 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Smile "Under The Spreading Sprucey Tree, The Village Moley Digs..."

Under a spruce you say? Probably some increased concentration of grubs? Some chemical difference due to bird droppings? First, come spring, water the area for a few hours pre-treatment to pre-soak the soil down about 6 - 8 inches. Then mix up some Sevin in a few gallons of water, add 1 Tblspn of liquid dishwashing detergent per gallon to help the solution penetrate far and fast, and soak-spray this mixture over the ground surrounding your spruce. It will quick-like penetrate that wet ground.

The grub & insect population will be significantly decimated, the spruce will pick up some of it and will be, for a while, rid of some of the insectid interlopers trying to burrow into it's beautiful "hide", and the moles will be (a) much cleaner (the DW liquid, silly!), and, having made themselves much more "presentable", will be (b) free to relocate to a newer, better class of neighborhood! Where, at least, there'd be some edible food!

PS: quite a few hilarious home videos on YouTube about "mole control", esp using propane, welding gases and a few other things. My personal fav is still my Rem 870 12ga with polar bear loads (don't ask me how I know about such things...).

But, in the spirit of newage sensitivity, I'm also trying to "coax" them out to listen to some classical music. I've tried my portable digital player with Wagner's "Flight of The Valkyries" that most people know from the Helo Attack Scene in "Apocalypse Now". That one seemed to induce terror in their teensie brainpans however, as they started squeaking frantically, looking up, and scattering back down into their holes.... Perhap Jascha Heifitz masterfully playing "Hora Staccato"? When the little fuzz-ball audience dreamily close their eyes, I'll dart in and scoop 'em all up in a bag and take them down to the river.

No, you perverts, not to DROWN them! I've also built a little model of an old Gambler's Mississippi River Boat and I'll set them adrift for another new adventure. Somewhere else. Downstream.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:39 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
rifleman thanks I have copied your post to try. Now I am not good with measurements so let me say my area is about the size of a 3 car garage. How many gallons do you guess I would need to make up of this solution? Or should I just concentrate around the base of the spruce tree?

Old 01-18-2009, 07:41 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
This works.

SENORET CHEMICAL 6006 "SWEENEY'S" POISON PEANUTS 6 OZ.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:45 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
Not to repeat what others have said, but get rid of your grubs. There are natural products from Gardens Alive or you can go with a chemical. You should also try to eliminate as many bettles as possible.

We have the best mole/vole eliminator known to man. The swimming pool. When the moles are out in force, I pull one or two out of the skimmer every morning until they are no longer an issue.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 7,319 times
Default The best way to control moles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshaw View Post
I have tried GrubEx, Castor oil, Lime, you name it, what can i try to get rid of moles and voles??? Thanks for any help you can give me. Art
Hey badshaw I found the best thing you can do for moles is to learn somthing about moles then learn a proven way to trap them and or kill them! Then after that you can use products to keep them from coming back!

Old 08-28-2009, 10:26 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
One of my farming cousins runs a hose up the exhaust pipe of his pickup, the other end down an active mole run, and let's it idle for 30 minutes or so. He swears by it--gas warfare!

I have about 2 and half acres I keep mowed, and they are tearing it up...I'll be trying it this weekend. I'll get back to you on how effective it seems.

...now for pure satisfaction, the shotgun method is awfully tempting. I knew an old man who would do that, except he used a .22. I've seen his results, it worked.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:27 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
I was one of the first ones on this thread to recommend Mole-med, as it used to work for me. But it hasn't worked for us this year. I also tried another deterrent granule from a garden center, and it didn't work, either. Neither did the vibrating thingy you shove into the ground, the moles just tunnel right around it. And our three cats haven't caught a single mole. I am going crazy here with the darn moles, they love the 13 yards of top soil we spread on one area of the lawn that we reseeded this past spring. Much of the new grass has been killed from all the tunneling. I'm not one for poison, and with our cats/dogs/kids I'm especially not in favor of it. I'm at the point where I am thinking I just need to sit out in the yard with a shovel 24/7, just waiting for a mole to tunnel by.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:35 PM

212 posts, read 699,588 times
The best way to deal with this? Get a big screen out in the yard,lots of comfortable chairs,lots of cold beverages and food.Then you put on the academy award winning film,....CaddyShack.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:37 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshaw View Post
I have tried GrubEx, Castor oil, Lime, you name it, what can i try to get rid of moles and voles??? Thanks for any help you can give me. Art
This is what some of us do in Wisconsin.

Get yourself a big washtub, or maybe a big black plastic garbage can will do.

Buy some mouse traps and leftover bacon grease.

Find fresh mole burrows dig a hole in the middle of one, to allow the burrow to be exposed to the air.

Place the traps and bait with with bacon grease.

Put the washtub over the hole and trap, and wait. The mole will smell the bacon, and when he pokes his head out of the burrow, he won't be afraid, because the tub is making it all nice and cozy, safe and dark.

You may even even try placing those expense worm bait for moles in the burrow instead of the traps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden