U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 04:37 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,690,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yeah, I think we'll all have a question on that "can't be 6' tall comment". lol. Hopefully that was a mistake and not for the entire yard or fence length?

Even if it is, its not the end of the world...

Did you want privacy or just "something to look at"?

How about some Burning Bushes? Super bright red color in the Fall. Only grows to 4-8' tall.

https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/BurningBush.htm

Mix a little Forsythias in there to get some yellow in Spring.

https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/Forsythia.htm

Or a long row of these. But they grow to 8-10' though. However you can just trim them at 6 feet when it gets to that point.

https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/Tri-Color-Willow.htm
Unfortunately, it is the entire area that's pictured. I say "wiggle room" because 6 feet is the rule, but no one is coming out to measure. My neighbor has a bush that's about 10' and no one has said anything for years. Believe it or not, my neighborhood is still very sought after, and I could sell this property in a week, even with this dumb easement.

Thank you for the recommendations. The links are the kind of ideas I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Do you use the yard for anything? playing catch, entertaining? cooking out for just family? have a dog?

Would you like to grow veggies? I've some plans for perennial flower beds that also include room for tomatoes, peppers and such if you don't want a separate garden.
We mostly use it for playing catch with the dog, and there's plenty of room. We plan to have kids soon. We need more to look at. We tried a raised veggie garden and may do that again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 04:41 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,690,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I just got back from South Carolina, and I saw lots of azaleas in Charleston and the Upstate. Most azaleas don't reach 6 feet, and if they do you can prune them. The only question is which way does that fence face?

Indian hawthorns will onlly get to a height of four feet or so, and they bloom spring and summer. Pink or white, either would be nice.

You could mix in a few stands of pampas grass for some visual interest.
My porch is to the West of the fence, so the sun rises behind that fence, and the fence is in the shade in the evening. It gets alot of direct sunlight most of the day.

Sorry for the multiple replies. I'm on my phone, and it's hard to consolidate these.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:01 PM

365 posts, read 79,223 times
I can understand a gas line put in through a sub division so there is an easement several feet out from it....and your house happens to back to that easement area. Just never saw on that made up such a large back yard. I know of a few that are much shallower spaces behind homes but those homes are small so perhaps your home is large with a large back yard.

This is enlightening.

I have to say this is some gigantic wiggle room unless I'm seeing a sort of optical illusion of enormous space. There's not a gas main there, the kind that is more significant and could require more space, is there?

Old 04-01-2018, 05:58 PM

292 posts, read 552,904 times
I would get a landscape designer to draw up a plan. Ask yourself what do you want to use the backyard for. Create separate garden "rooms" with a walking trail to each area. These rooms should not be visible all at once. This is a very large area so having a plan on paper is very important.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:07 PM

23,534 posts, read 42,840,947 times
Most people might be thinking of the gas line the city might run but I guess that is a gas transmission line -- the kind that brings natural gas from fields to gas plants that prep the gas to go back to individual homes and businesses---
Those are bigger easements than say the 3-4ft ones that come from the street to your house

Have friends in our area west of DFW airport who bought house in new development because they liked the deep back yard--they thought they could put in pool and not have it right next to the patio/house--
But much of their back yard is easement for a large natural gas transmission line--more than 20 ft from their back fence toward their patio--like this posters...
They got their pool but it is right off their patio...
And they just let the fence be the fence---
Not as long as this in picture---it's huge....

Old 04-01-2018, 10:03 PM

5,438 posts, read 2,869,170 times
No more straight lines! Do not put the same width plantings across the entire fence - vary it by clumping groups of plants and shrubs together and let the width of the planted areas vary accordingly in curves. Possibly put a lot of plants in a corner and another group near the middle of the fence using taller plants closest to the fence and shorter ones towards the center of the yard.

The gas easement is confusing - if the gas lines are underground what difference does the height of a plant above it make?

Old 04-01-2018, 11:34 PM

1,593 posts, read 1,058,544 times
I have an uncle who once lived in a place where half of his yard was in a utility easement (huge, high electrical transmission lines) he was unable to plant ANY trees what so ever, which looks really strange in our "urban forest" Metro Atlanta region. He, ingeniously in my opinion, used this enormous sunny space for one of the must spectacular and productive vegetable gardens I have EVER seen! He had standard summer vegetables in the summer time (peas, green beans, squash, tomatoes, corn, etc) and a selection of southern greens in the winter (mustards, turnips, and collards). He grew so much that he was able to fill up his freezer and many others too (including ours). This bounty was so delicious that my mouth is currently watering with the memory! ;0)

Old 04-01-2018, 11:38 PM

4,329 posts, read 6,631,065 times
This is a nightmare yard to me- excessively large, no definition, no design, no plants other than dead grass, no trees, little privacy and lots of maintenance for a place I would never otherwise want to spend time in. You seriously can’t plant anything over 6’-0” tall next to all those tall trees in the adjoining property?!

This seems to be a very common type of yard in much of the country where folks as you say, otherwise overlook what I see as its gross limitations to ever be appealing to a (I guess) small minority like me.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:12 AM

1,955 posts, read 799,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Everything past the firepit and screen porch is easement. I had the gas company flag it, and I built the porch out to the line.

I have a flower bed against the house, and the crepe myrtle is right outside the easement. My front yard has plenty of trees, and there are trees and bushes on the other side of the porch. I just need something along the back fence area.
Thanks for adding more info. As someone else stated it would be best to hire a 'local' landscape designer to draw up plans for what could be planted in certain areas. With that, they will know what you can and cannot plant with your easement restrictions. If you like getting your nails dirty, and time is on your side, there is no reason why you can't do the planting yourself. I would also have them plan out an irrigation system, as that looks like an awful big yard to be lugging around heavy hoses.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:41 AM

907 posts, read 616,354 times
I am in southern NJ. Was a Rutger's Master Gardener for 4 years. I leaned thru the program best to try to use ingenious plants whenever possible. If they are ingenious to an area they generally do well. I would suggest you get in touch with your local agricultural agent and ask if she/he has a list of such.

Also want to add as mentioned above forsythia can be very nice. In my area very easy to grow. Some nice new varieties available. Some tall, some shorter.

Make sure you check your soil for pH. Ag agent can help you with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or