U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 10:42 AM

1,609 posts, read 2,742,126 times

Advertisements

I bought the dwarf burning bush, which gets 8-10' max and is easily pruned to shape.

I took some of the advice here and laid out temporary 2x4's into two angled flower beds that are 30 ft long x 6 ft wide. I could put the dwarf burning bush along the back and alternate some other shrubs or grasses, and then some flowers or ground cover in the front near the border. I'll try to vary the height quite a bit, without overcrowding.

That way I would break up the fence line, without having a 100+ ft bed that's also a rectangle (someone suggested no more straight lines).

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 11:05 AM

4,489 posts, read 8,203,124 times
Hmm. Isn't 8-10' feet in violation of the easement? Also, still invasive.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:12 AM

5,157 posts, read 7,366,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Hmm. Isn't 8-10' feet in violation of the easement? Also, still invasive.
The burning bush people can buy readily at nurseries is not invasive in the least. Just don't time travel and the OP (and the neighboring yards) will be just fine.

Is Burning Bush Really an Invasive Species?

Sterile variety of invasive 'burning bush' developed | western FarmPress

There are burning bushes planted all over America, staying put and invading nothing.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:12 PM

4,489 posts, read 8,203,124 times
Art - you're still willfully ignorant of invasive species and responsible gardening. Geneyus said that they got a dwarf burning bush - which is usually Euonymus alatus 'Compactus', which is still the invasive Euonymus alatus even though your link disputes that it is invasive... Before I believe that the genetically modified plants mentioned in your second link behave as described, I would prefer to see years of testing.

BTW your first link says that dwarf burning bush grows to 12' - still more than 6'.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:17 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,429,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I bought the dwarf burning bush, which gets 8-10' max and is easily pruned to shape.

I took some of the advice here and laid out temporary 2x4's into two angled flower beds that are 30 ft long x 6 ft wide. I could put the dwarf burning bush along the back and alternate some other shrubs or grasses, and then some flowers or ground cover in the front near the border. I'll try to vary the height quite a bit, without overcrowding.

That way I would break up the fence line, without having a 100+ ft bed that's also a rectangle (someone suggested no more straight lines).

Thoughts?

I think that will look good.

One of my neighbours planted a row of the dwarf burning bush beneath her living room window. Once a year she went out with electric hedge trimmers and trimmed off the new tips that reached above the window sill, no problems. The dwarf burning bush never reached out too far towards the rest of the flower bed in front of that window. I don't think you will have a problem with invasiveness or too much height with the dwarf variety if you keep it trimmed back once a year.

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-16-2018 at 12:25 PM..

Old 04-16-2018, 02:54 PM

5,157 posts, read 7,366,232 times
Default Notes on real life from the willfully ignorant :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Art - you're still willfully ignorant of invasive species and responsible gardening. Geneyus said that they got a dwarf burning bush - which is usually Euonymus alatus 'Compactus', which is still the invasive Euonymus alatus even though your link disputes that it is invasive... Before I believe that the genetically modified plants mentioned in your second link behave as described, I would prefer to see years of testing.

BTW your first link says that dwarf burning bush grows to 12' - still more than 6'.
A cultivar and the species can be wildly different. Take a crepe myrtle. Some grow to 40-50 ft, some are nearly ground covers. We humans have messed with plants.... a lot.

And Euonymous alatus 'compacta' is not on the invasive lists (you provided).

You can go to nurseries across the country and the tags will show wildly different heights and widths for plants listed with the exact same cultivar name. There's no standard. Some use a 5 year guesstimate, some use a 10 year guesstimate. Some make up a number they think will sell (Monrovia is the worst at this).

Some botanical sites tend show a full-grown height (in optimal conditions). Unlike people, plants tend to keep growing until they die. They can't read tags, either.

And as the OP said, that 6' is a general guideline utilities use. No one comes out to measure. They just don't want huge trees.

And... pruners are made for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or