U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 08:25 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,831,335 times

Advertisements

I have a long back fence line that's about 120' long. I'd like to add something to look at, but there are limitations on what I can grow and build here. I've been considering a few crepe myrtle bushes with mulch and a border, so I don't hit the bushes with the edger. Then I played with the idea of making the entire back fence line a 3' wide flower bed with flowers/bushes spread out.

Here are the requirements:
  • No plants over 6 feet tall due to gas easement (some wiggle room).
  • No structures like sheds or swings due to city code on easements.
  • My zone is listed as 7b and 8a, and this area gets a lot of sun.

Help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 10:06 AM

6,013 posts, read 5,791,876 times
Quote:

No plants over 6 feet tall due to gas easement (some wiggle room).

Exactly where on the property are you supposed to not have plants over 6 feet tall? I see a tree right beside your house and that is clearly well over 6 feet tall. Are you allowed to plant other trees close by like that around the house? If so, what is the maximum distance away from the house that you can extend a tree line or other types of plants?

You say gas easement - can you be more explicit? Do you have some kind of big gas pipeline or something running beneath the surface of your property that cannot be permitted to be interfered with by tree roots? Or is it that you have an easement (a roadway) through your property that must be accessed by the vehicles of gas utility companies? My understanding of 'easement' is that it's a roadway.

Sorry for being so outspoken but it seems a shocking shame to own and pay taxes on so much empty, wasted, useless, open space around your home and to be forbidden to landscape or develop and use your property the way you want while all the neighbours on the other side of the fence get to enjoy their big trees and to view your exposure. If I was living in a place like that I'd feel like I was naked under a microscope all the time and I'd want to surround the house itself and the living space immediately around it with a circle of plants and trees that would block most of my view of the fence and neighbours houses. Or else sell the property.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:18 PM

2,189 posts, read 986,250 times
Your whole yard is not an easement. Where does the easement start, and end? Looks to me you have plenty of 'wiggle' room.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:41 PM

64,978 posts, read 47,284,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I have a long back fence line that's about 120' long. I'd like to add something to look at, but there are limitations on what I can grow and build here. I've been considering a few crepe myrtle bushes with mulch and a border, so I don't hit the bushes with the edger. Then I played with the idea of making the entire back fence line a 3' wide flower bed with flowers/bushes spread out.

Here are the requirements:
  • No plants over 6 feet tall due to gas easement (some wiggle room).
  • No structures like sheds or swings due to city code on easements.
  • My zone is listed as 7b and 8a, and this area gets a lot of sun.
Help!

Yeah, I think we'll all have a question on that "can't be 6' tall comment". lol. Hopefully that was a mistake and not for the entire yard or fence length?

Even if it is, its not the end of the world...

Did you want privacy or just "something to look at"?

How about some Burning Bushes? Super bright red color in the Fall. Only grows to 4-8' tall.

https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/BurningBush.htm

Mix a little Forsythias in there to get some yellow in Spring.

https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/Forsythia.htm

Or a long row of these. But they grow to 8-10' though. However you can just trim them at 6 feet when it gets to that point.

https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/Tri-Color-Willow.htm

Old 03-31-2018, 04:41 PM

15,559 posts, read 9,584,514 times
Do you use the yard for anything? playing catch, entertaining? cooking out for just family? have a dog?

would you like to grow veggies? I've some plans for perennial flower beds that also include room for tomatoes, peppers and such if you don't want a separate garden.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:49 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,737,156 times
Lawn is easy to take care of as long as you don't have to mow around trees and shrubs.

What I would do is to expand that patio, get some nice patio furniture, maybe put in one of those nice big brick or stone barbecues. That is unless you aren't allowed to put in anything permanent anywhere in the yard. It's a little hard to tell with no information about where the easement is located.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:39 AM

7,243 posts, read 9,588,980 times
Yes, as others have already said, you may have an easement in a corner for gas lines, but not for the entire length of the fence, unless it is an access roadway which it does not appear to be. It depends upon what you want to look at in your yard, you can put a privet hedge, boxwood, arborvitae, if you want to simply dress the yard with "evergreens" to make the fence disappear from view. You would have more height control with the first two that the third. Planting flowers will require a lot of gardening so if you are low maintenance, that may not be for you.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:21 AM

4,445 posts, read 5,168,213 times
We also have a long fence so we planted some Laurels which are fast growing. Once they get a little taller, I'm going to put in rose buses in front of them to break up the green.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:09 AM

5,682 posts, read 1,712,156 times
I just got back from South Carolina, and I saw lots of azaleas in Charleston and the Upstate. Most azaleas don't reach 6 feet, and if they do you can prune them. The only question is which way does that fence face?

Indian hawthorns will onlly get to a height of four feet or so, and they bloom spring and summer. Pink or white, either would be nice.

You could mix in a few stands of pampas grass for some visual interest.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:27 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,831,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Your whole yard is not an easement. Where does the easement start, and end? Looks to me you have plenty of 'wiggle' room.
Everything past the firepit and screen porch is easement. I had the gas company flag it, and I built the porch out to the line.

I have a flower bed against the house, and the crepe myrtle is right outside the easement. My front yard has plenty of trees, and there are trees and bushes on the other side of the porch. I just need something along the back fence area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or