U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 08:22 PM

3,312 posts, read 1,882,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Cuttings need different soil...a mix or peat and sand is best.

Later after root growth, use a soil for epiphytes or a general soil like Miracle Grow with perlite mixed in for a lighter soil. Heavier soils can get too saturated with water and drown the plant.
Yes.

I use miracle grow cactus / draining bagged soil in the yellow bag. It's called " cactus and succulent " I think ( I'm at work or id go look)

It works well for any plant that won't tolerate waterlogging.

I picked it for its draining capabilities, not for the word "cactus" on the bag.

Thats,what I planted my Christmas cactus in.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 04:09 AM

363 posts, read 221,524 times
I potted up all the cuttings last night. I used the cactus mix with the coir. I put some in a terra-cotta pot but the others (there were more than I was expecting) I placed in a seedling-starter tray. Now they are all under bright but diffused light from a skylight. I hope I hope I hope!

Old 05-05-2018, 04:10 AM

To update, it's been about three weeks and of the 15 cuttings (of three different types, two Christmas and one variegated Thanksgiving), I have observed rooting occurring on about 8. Of the remaining unrooted, only 1 has rotted at the base, there's no rot on any of the others, but also no roots. One of the cuttings lost it's top leaf, so I put that tiny solo leaf into the rooting medium and it rooted! I was pleasantly surprised.

Also, as an experiment, I put one of the cuttings in a bowl filled with rocks, with water level just below the top rocks, and covered the bowl loosely with plastic wrap. I was trying to see if imitating the natural habitat of high humidity would alone cause rooting. Today I noticed roots are beginning to grow, just like the ones in the cactus mix. I'm going to let them get a little longer and then pot it up to continue rooting in the cactus medium.

I'm not sure when the rooted will start perking up, they still all look rather wilted/shriveled, but it's wonderful that I've gotten ~50% success rate so far. I don't know how long rooting takes, but it seems reasonable to me that more can still root in the next week or so.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:22 AM

878 posts, read 244,657 times
Very glad this came up. I was just thinking about this. I'm going to get my coffee and half a bagel and have a great time studying here.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Very glad this came up. I was just thinking about this. I'm going to get my coffee and half a bagel and have a great time studying here.
I hope it was of help to you! I know I scoured the internet for info on rooting CCs while I was waiting for my cuttings. I have a further update: the cutting that rotted at the base, I had placed also on the rocks with water up to but not covering the top rocks, and covered loosely with plastic wrap. I was really just procrastinating having to trash the rotting cutting. At any rate, this particular cutting has started growing roots between the joining of the rotting lowest segment and the next segment. This is so interesting! When I have actual plants with enough to share more rooted cuttings with other people, I'm going to try this "humidity method" again, as I was pretty impressed with the return on effort invested.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:07 PM

4,998 posts, read 3,538,953 times
I've had a Christmas cactus for about 6 years now. It never has bloomed at Christmas... always in October or November

Old 05-09-2018, 02:54 PM

38,509 posts, read 44,458,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I've had a Christmas cactus for about 6 years now. It never has bloomed at Christmas... always in October or November
There's a variety of Christmas cacti plants (they're actually succulents) and they bloom at different times of the year and go by different names for the same species.
The main difference between the Christmas and Thanksgiving cactus, and the Easter cactus is the timing of blooming.
Read more: http://web.extension.illinois.edu/st...fm?NewsID=8570

Old 05-13-2018, 11:03 PM

Another query has arisen for me, I'm wondering how the CC grows bigger in the pot, what is the growth habit. Does each rooted segment grow more branches from the ground where the root base is, like suckers? Or are all branches attached to the original rooted segment? When I see huge CCs in online pics, are these separate rooted plants that just look like one big plant? For example, I rooted about 5 segments in a small 4" pot (it's a smaller, more feathery variety of CC). Do I need to separate these rooted individuals into their own pots, because they will become too crowded? Or is that how a full plant look is achieved? (I've never grown these, I'm learning as I go!)

Also, is a bright north (midwest) window too dim for CC? The window is oriented such that it never receives direct light at any time of day, but it's "open" north light, meaning no trees or buildings are shading the indirect light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or