U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 06:37 PM

5,834 posts, read 5,679,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Last year, I attempted to grow garlic, and put regular garlic on two containers near Thanksgiving, one container had some green shoots on it.......but nothing has sprout up yet..... I think I may have put the garlic down on the soil the wrong way.

This year, I am all excited about the Florida garlic, and I want to make sure nothing goes wrong with it. However, I bought it in early March, so if I have to wait till near Thanksgiving to put it in, it will probably dry in the refrigerator, yes, no?
Yes, they'll dry up and shrivel if you wait that long. If you've had them in the fridge for 3 weeks that's a long enough chill time you can take them out and plant them in the ground now. Plant each clove stuck in the ground with the pointy end up, blunt end down - not layed down on its side. The plant grows straight up out of the pointy end, roots out of the blunt bottom.

You can grow elephant garlic plants as either an annual or a biennial depending on how long you leave it in the ground. Harvested as an annual you'll get a single monobulb from each clove planted, and harvested as a biennial each clove you planted will produce a full head with several cloves. That means you have to leave it in the ground longer but the bonus is you'll end up with a selection of several new seed cloves you can plant if you like that variety and want to grow more of the exact same variety.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 07:10 AM

3,654 posts, read 1,544,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Where do you live? ie: Agricultural growing zone
I live in south fl, I have no luck whatsoever with garlic down here, and I consider myself a good gardener. Perhaps in central or panhandle, you may have luck. Onion family likes cold...

If you live further north, you would have better luck, imho.
It might be the soil. Not much grows well in sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden