Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 01:59 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,605 times

Advertisements

I am a flower gardener. I just finished four hours of working in my garden. NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING, in the world brings me more satisfaction, contentment, exuberance, peace, and joy, than gardening, with my PUPPY, at my side. To plant a seed, or a small little plant, and see it form in front of my eyes, is more to me than winning the biggest lottery in the world.

Nothing compares to the happiness both of them bring, to me. And are you as lucky too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 02:23 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
We love gardening as you describe in the winter time here sasie.
We extreme garden during this time, planting a property that in the beginning only had about 5 cabbage palms, and 12 old, tall native pines. Since it's an acre and a half, we have placed in over 50 new palms, many fruit trees (we like sustainable gardening) and various bauhinia and cassia species-which my wife collects. Lots of other trees too. One side of our property had almost no shade. Now, it is finally becoming shade, and within the next couple of years, will begin under-storey plants in that area.
As for flowers, my wife used to grow brugmansia. But hurricane Irma really did a number on them, and it broke her heart. I doubt she will return to them as she once did. But we both like to vegetable garden in winter.
Summers here are too brutal to take the heat and humidity for more than a few minutes. I am seriously considering hiring a Lawn service to cut the grass this year. I'm getting too old to sit out there on a riding lawn mower for a few hours in the heat.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:32 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
I am a flower gardener. I just finished four hours of working in my garden. NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING, in the world brings me more satisfaction, contentment, exuberance, peace, and joy, than gardening, with my PUPPY, at my side. To plant a seed, or a small little plant, and see it form in front of my eyes, is more to me than winning the biggest lottery in the world.

Nothing compares to the happiness both of them bring, to me. And are you as lucky too?

Oh my yes....since getting my first houseplant at 12 to now, plants and gardening of any kind has brought the most joy of any hobby or past time.

Yes, the tiny seed that unbelievably grows into a luscious flower or a beautiful vegetable to eat always seems like a miracle.

I did a research paper on horticulture therapy, noting the tremendous benefits gardeners receive, as you know...mental, physical, emotional. This therapy is also used frequently for young children, troubled teens, prisoners, the elderly, the physically and mentally handicapped...plus community gardens in urban areas give city folks that wonderful closeness to the earth and brings people together as they proudly care for their community vegetables.

Just need a few more weeks here until planting....right now the snow peas have popped up, herbs, bulbs...

Lucky indeed.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
We love gardening as you describe in the winter time here sasie.
We extreme garden during this time, planting a property that in the beginning only had about 5 cabbage palms, and 12 old, tall native pines. Since it's an acre and a half, we have placed in over 50 new palms, many fruit trees (we like sustainable gardening) and various bauhinia and cassia species-which my wife collects. Lots of other trees too. One side of our property had almost no shade. Now, it is finally becoming shade, and within the next couple of years, will begin under-storey plants in that area.
As for flowers, my wife used to grow brugmansia. But hurricane Irma really did a number on them, and it broke her heart. I doubt she will return to them as she once did. But we both like to vegetable garden in winter.
Summers here are too brutal to take the heat and humidity for more than a few minutes. I am seriously considering hiring a Lawn service to cut the grass this year. I'm getting too old to sit out there on a riding lawn mower for a few hours in the heat.
Yes, by all means: Get someone to do the lawn, you can easily get heat- stroke. We just returned from South Florida, from our winter hiatus.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Oh my yes....since getting my first houseplant at 12 to now, plants and gardening of any kind has brought the most joy of any hobby or past time.

Yes, the tiny seed that unbelievably grows into a luscious flower or a beautiful vegetable to eat always seems like a miracle.

I did a research paper on horticulture therapy, noting the tremendous benefits gardeners receive, as you know...mental, physical, emotional. This therapy is also used frequently for young children, troubled teens, prisoners, the elderly, the physically and mentally handicapped...plus community gardens in urban areas give city folks that wonderful closeness to the earth and brings people together as they proudly care for their community vegetables.

Just need a few more weeks here until planting....right now the snow peas have popped up, herbs, bulbs...

Lucky indeed.
I am into Phlox now, since they have commercialized specific ones that are not as susceptible to Mildew, as the older ones.

I have planted 10 of them in large containers, since my back is no longer amenable to bending, and Phlox have long roots. But, once they flower...........pure JOY !!!!

Old 04-12-2018, 06:56 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
I think, truly, it is in the genes. My grandmother passed it to my Mom who gave it to me. I truly love gardening even more than eating chocolate ice cream!

Old 04-12-2018, 08:41 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I am making the most of my small 1-bedroom senior apartment with a small balcony. Right now, I have some seedlings under a grow light - some yellow and red cherry tomato plants, coleus, peppers, basil. I also had started some nasturtiums and those have already been transplanted outside in a hanging pot and a couple other pots I'll have grow up a privacy fence I put up on my balcony.

My plan is to try to sell some plants, but if I hate dealing with the flea markets, I've decided I'll grow plants from seeds anyway, and donate them to the food pantry to spread the love.

I've decided to just sleep in my living space, and use my bedroom as my hobby room. Recently put up some shelves and plan to put grow lights on them, and grow greens in the hobby room. And some tomatoes and peppers on a dresser in front of the window, and maybe another grow light over them, too. And some on the balcony, along with a bunch of other flowers - bougainvillea, a dwarf crepe myrtle tree in a big pot, and a bunch of rescued plants and some grown from cuttings out there. Oh, and I have freesia blooming in a pot - the heirloom variety that smells so heavenly.

So, yes, I am also lucky. You can grow plants anywhere if you can get a grow light and give them what they need. It's such joy to see results from your effort.

Whereas, growing dishes in my sink never give me a thrill. LOL.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I think, truly, it is in the genes. My grandmother passed it to my Mom who gave it to me. I truly love gardening even more than eating chocolate ice cream!

Now, you have placed me in a spot.....deciding between my garden and puppy, versus Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk.....!!!!!

Old 04-15-2018, 11:56 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I am making the most of my small 1-bedroom senior apartment with a small balcony. Right now, I have some seedlings under a grow light - some yellow and red cherry tomato plants, coleus, peppers, basil. I also had started some nasturtiums and those have already been transplanted outside in a hanging pot and a couple other pots I'll have grow up a privacy fence I put up on my balcony.

My plan is to try to sell some plants, but if I hate dealing with the flea markets, I've decided I'll grow plants from seeds anyway, and donate them to the food pantry to spread the love.

I've decided to just sleep in my living space, and use my bedroom as my hobby room. Recently put up some shelves and plan to put grow lights on them, and grow greens in the hobby room. And some tomatoes and peppers on a dresser in front of the window, and maybe another grow light over them, too. And some on the balcony, along with a bunch of other flowers - bougainvillea, a dwarf crepe myrtle tree in a big pot, and a bunch of rescued plants and some grown from cuttings out there. Oh, and I have freesia blooming in a pot - the heirloom variety that smells so heavenly.

So, yes, I am also lucky. You can grow plants anywhere if you can get a grow light and give them what they need. It's such joy to see results from your effort.

Whereas, growing dishes in my sink never give me a thrill. LOL.
I have a bonus room filled with plants. It was a loosely enclosed back porch behind the garage when we bought the house 2.5 years ago. Since we have finished it off with insulation, ceiling that I used various premade moldings to give it a coffered look. Added commercial carpet, added an electric heat strip.

It has big south and west facing windows, so It gets lots of natural sunlight and warmth.

I got commercial 3'x 18" 5 tired metal stainless open weave metal shelves on wheels for plants and have 6 2' plant grow lights to aid in the winter when it's dark a lot here in southern upstate New York.

I have, among lots of other things, a banana plant ( they are not a tree) thst will bear bananas and an orange tree growing. I have a big pot of ginger root I need to harvest before it grows again. I have bird of paradise and plumeria from the tropics growing! I habe a wide variety of plants in thete all happily growing with a humidifier to keep them humidified as well. It is heat/a.c., humidified and when needed dehumidifier when summer heat/humidity gets too much for us humans. The plants love it.

I call it my " jungle room", because two of the four walls have plants growing.

I usually start seedlings in thete, but due to a potential knee replacement this summer, im not sure the outside garden will grow much in vegetables. It'll just be the fruits,that grow out there to go....the grapes, the raspberries of all types, the strawberries, the gogi berries, etc. They come back and I'll look forward to it.

This last winter was hard on the plants. So I don't know what this year will bring, unless my knee gets,done early enough.

Since I'm bipolar and struggle every winter with seasonal affective disorder, the plant daylight and room help my depressions.

Yay!

Edit: the rooms carpet is a deep green, and the ceiling is SKY blue!!! The walls are yellow, adding to a sunny/outdoor room feel!

Last edited by galaxyhi; 04-15-2018 at 12:34 PM..

Old 04-15-2018, 03:31 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post

Aww, what a great post! I also love puppies and gardening. When I lived in Phoenix, gardening was doable, but it took a lot of effort and many plants did expire from the heat. Now, in zone 8, it’s a dream come true! Last year was my first year in this zone and I had plants exploding with growth all over the place.

I have a ton of garden pictures in Pinterest and even looking at the beautiful pictures and planning for my future garden brings joy. I agree that gardening is partly hereditary, my grandma used to grow beautiful roses and she had a sunny porch area that had huge African violets in tubs.

A friend in Phoenix is the best gardener I know, he can grow anything in that heat, but I’ll always stay in a good garden zone for the future. You can’t beat a yard and garden covered in trees, shrubs, flowers and veggies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden