U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 10:55 AM

6,015 posts, read 5,791,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post

So....i have a decent sized backyard....but every year, the area around this large tree that i have just dries up and eventually turns into dirt. This year, all around the fence was dead grass or moss .......

What kind of tree is it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 11:39 AM

4,743 posts, read 8,435,394 times
OP - what kind of grass (warm or cool season, like fescue) did you sow? Do you have an irrigation system (especially under the tree)?

Applying 'the good stuff' to your established lawn is called top-dressing and it is a good practice.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:42 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,547,786 times
Quote:
haha
that's awesome. I will do that.
I'm in loudoun also...so like 20 minutes from leesburg :-)
I will call them up....do you think it's a good idea to put this on all my lawn or just the new areas?
i was thinking about feeding some good sh*t (No pun intended lol) to my entire lawn this year anyway; if this stuff you're talking about can be used on the whole lawn, i'd give it a shot!
Oh you can definitely put this stuff on your entire lawn, and it will thank you many times over! You can put it everywhere, it's all natural and organic, won't harm anything. I put some in our flower beds, the shrubs, etc. But I would wait until we have a good solid stretch of warm(ing) weather. Nothing really pops until the ground is above 50 degrees. I think we're there, but these random cold snaps are a hassle and have a lot of things confused. Hopefully we're beyond now.

Make sure you get the "meal" and not the pellets for either Soybean or Alfalfa, unless you plan on feeding every rabbit and squirrel within a 1/2 mile of your lawn. The meal is like a dust (especially the alfalfa). Once you put it down, water it in to keep it in place. I have typically applied seed at this time too, as the soybean is loaded with a protein that makes the seeds take off. Once down, do not mow for 2 weeks. Then you should be ready to go.

But be warned. You'll know when the soybean starts to do its thing by the stench that it will give off. It smells like rotten garbage for a few days then goes away. That is the protein and the fats in the soybean breaking down, which is exactly what you want. You neighbors will not like you for a few days. And then they'll really not like you when your lawn takes off and becomes a lush green carpet.

I have roughly 10,000 SF of actual turf coverage at my house. I typically buy 7 bags of each to completely cover it. It is a lot as these are big paper bags. Definitely want a truck or SUV to pick it up. We have a Highlander, and with the seats folded down, I can get it all, but it's jammed pretty good. Not the cheapest out there, but man, the results are addictive has heck!

Check Post # 102 & 103 of the attached link to another thread from last year to see results. Grass became so thick I had to hire a lawn company to mow it because my Toro bagger was bogging down. At one point, I could mow it and put a baseball on it and it wouldn't touch the ground...... Then I got lazy and screwed it all up.... But that's a different story that will finally be corrected very soon!

Spring 2017 Lawn Care - First Cutting and Crabgrass Preventer

Last edited by NC211; 04-12-2018 at 01:56 PM..

Old 04-12-2018, 01:44 PM

7,090 posts, read 2,207,882 times
Quote:
I hope you're right. I'm not worried about them not having had come out yet....I was concerned that because of the soil type, the growth would just never come.... (the soil has small/fine but consistent chunks of wood in there...)
I've phased-out 90% of the grass in my front and backyards, by planting or encouraging natural growth of trees, shrubs, flowers and evergreen ground-cover plants. They need just a bit of watering, during 2 or 3 months of the year and an electric weed-eater buzzes off the small patches of remaining grass. Everything is blooming now and the birds love it. Quail, doves and towhees nest in the habitat and there's little work, noise or pollution of the air and soil, connected to it. I should mention that the cost of doing this, by growing plant starts from cuttings, has been zero. Photo links below.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7085/2...63c7f870_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2866/3...62b0d390_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1469/2...2a8c0602_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/791/26...5a70a2d4_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7135/2...09845a83_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2502/5...3e7fdbed_b.jpg

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 04-12-2018 at 02:16 PM..

Old 04-13-2018, 01:30 AM

22,701 posts, read 21,741,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
What kind of tree is it?

That's my question. Maples can be tough to work with. OP, if you have moss, you probably need to add lime.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:34 AM

3,174 posts, read 1,629,375 times
We've waited weeks for grass seed to grow. Sometimes it doesn't, but give it time.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:57 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,615,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
What kind of tree is it?

I actually dont know....lol
Maybe you guys can identify it...without leaves!!!

Old 04-13-2018, 09:13 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,121,819 times
So,

It is VERY hard to start grass in the spring.

It is too early now, in your climate, for the seed to germinate.

The soil you put down is NOT an issue.

Presumably you used a "shade" seed? if not, it will never thrive. Even a shade grass with that location and level of traffic (kids) is not going to do well.

Now: Put down Scotts starter fertilizer. Rake it in VERY lightly given that the seed is already settling in.

Cover the area with clean straw. NOT crap hay...or any Hay!

Set your sprinkler up and water it every day. Once it sprouts, water it a couple times each day. Do Not Let it dry out.

When about six inches tall, mow the area with a bagger mower and put the chopped up straw clippings in your compost pile. Do NOT rake off the straw.

Keep it moist.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:55 AM

6,015 posts, read 5,791,876 times
Quote:
I actually dont know....lol
Maybe you guys can identify it...without leaves!!!

If you can find some of last year's old leaves on the ground that got missed during clean up that you can post a picture of that would be helpful for identification. Perhaps some leaves got stuck down between the fence and that woodpile, or around the toys in the playground area, or tucked away in a fence corner. Even old leaves can often be used for ID.

In any case I suspect it is a maple from the growth pattern of the branches and the colour of the bark.

The browned grassy area under the tree all appears to fall within the tree's drip line. In the summer when it gets hot have you ever noticed a fine filmy coating of sticky stuff on the toys or other items that get left under the tree, or on rocks or the grass and soil beneath the branches? If so I think you have what I call a drippy tree. Drippy trees can happen for several reasons because of insect pests (usually aphids) but some kinds of maples in certain climates are notorious for producing excessive sap from their leaves in the form of a fine sugary mist that oozes out of the pores of leaves and drifts on the air down onto anything beneath the tree. Some kinds of oaks and horse chestnut trees will do that too. It usually is at it worst during the height of summer but it can occur all 3 seasons while there are any leaves on the trees. Not much will grow easily under drippy trees because of the fine sticky coating that gets onto everything and interferes with plants' respiration. It also attracts insects that may do harm and it can cause some kinds of molds to grow on other vegetation.

The good news, if you have a drippy tree, is that the sticky stuff easily dissolves and rinses off in rain or if you hose it down on a regular basis.

On a side note, I think that tree needs to be thinned out and topped. It looks a bit wild and wooly and like it's going to get top heavy.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:53 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,615,962 times
Here's a picture of a leaf...and the seeds that f%&$ up the grass every fall.....literally thousands of these things fall down below.....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or